Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Maybe give rooibos a try! Caffeine free and can be quite bold. I love rooibos chai.

Also some of the decaf black teas are acceptable. Not great, but acceptable. Definitely go for something flavored to help make up for what's lost in the decaffeination process. I'm a big fan of Harney and Sons Decaf Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I placed an order at Upton Tea, which shipped today - from Republic of Tea per FedEx. Did Upton get bought out or something?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Apparently they've recently merged their FedEx accounts, but so far I hadn't noticed anything different over the years. Huh.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Bigelow's Mint Medley is boxed at the store but a nice blend of mint-plus just the same. I love the little flavor hit from the rosehips!

And while loose leaf chamomile can be better than Celestial Seasonings, I honestly buy that one from the grocery store a lot because it is good enough and incredibly convenient. Loose chamomile flower will gunk up a filter quick! Definitely use a paper one for it if you grab some somewhere.

Upton Tea has a rooibos chai that I drink almost nightly and a mixed berry herbal that is fantastic iced. Both are loose leaf but do quite well in the paper filters linked above!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yunnan black tea is excellent, good choice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I really like my Hamilton Beach for work. It keeps the water close enough in temperature for multiple mugs (I got the one with a keep-warm function). I also use it to heat up water for my hot water bottle, if you're looking for things to use up more of the 2L capacity.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have a Copco brand cheapie from Target and it works fine. We're on our second. The first one was fine but it got all scaly and I didn't want to deal with it when I could get a new one for like $11 many years ago. Stainless steel is really expensive now so I'm sure a similar model will be, like, 20.

It usually whistles but sometimes the spout thingy needs to be pushed back in a bit.

It hasn't rusted out, nor did the first one.

Before that I boiled water in a 1 quart sauce pan.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
When I need a lot of tea, I do one of two things: keep the water hot with an electric kettle and brew as needed, or keep thr brewed tea hot in a thermos. (I just use the big Finum filter and the thermos itself to brew.)

Cast iron kettle sounds like it might be a fun thing to get, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Are you OK with flavored tea? I like to mix chai spices in my decaf. Decaf earl grey is usually OK too. Vanilla rooibos can cut regular black tea pretty well.

Are you open to green tea? Less caffeine, but definitely a different flavor profile. I've never really enjoyed decaf green, so if you are trying to phase it out completely it may not be the best option.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My favorite Harney & Sons is their Paris flavored black. I'll even drink their decaf version, it's so delicious.

You've got a good variety there! Keep those notes going and use them to branch out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I really like Harney and Sons Paris. For sure give that a try if you like flavored black tea.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Speaking of flowers: Chrysanthemum flowers also make a great tea and will likely be at the Asian market with the chamomile.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The Finum baskets always work better for me than anything else when it comes to not clogging up from rooibos. Sometimes I have a few needles stuck but generally it comes out well. Generic filters with larger grid sizes will get tons stuck in them and then it's easier to wait until it's all dried out, yeah.

Flowers are pretty awful and those get my paper filters always now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
6g of tea in 300mL of water to start the day. I used to drink coffee, but now I can't, so it's a strong cup of tea in the morning.

I don't have other caffeine, now, just my "3 cups of tea as one cup of tea" that I do because I'm so time crunched on weekday mornings. (Weekends let me sip that 6g over a more reasonable amount of time/water.)

I'm pretty caffeine adapted now and probably need to work on cutting again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Speaking of mint tea that's just leaves(mint only or mint+tea), any recommendations for loose leaf? I keep accidentally getting the flavored tea type weird ones.

Upton makes fine peppermint and spearmint leaves-only loose leaf teas. Searching for them should bring them right up. I'm sure the other usual stores mentioned have it too.

I also don't mind the Celestial Seasonings peppermint bags, nothing wrong with those. I toured the factory years ago and was one of the few people who could stand the mint room for the whole presentation!

Also thanks for the reminder on iced Black Cherry Berry. Need to pick up a box for a refreshing summer treat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I was looking at one of their herbal blends of lime flowers, chamomile and orange blossom and thought that it looked pretty good! I might have to try them.

Report back if you do! That does sound pretty good.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm trying to get the wife into drinking tea a bit. She's an ardent coffee drinker, but every once in a while she'll indulge a chai tea. The issue is that when I ask her what sorts of flavors she likes or wants to try in a tea, she's got no idea, and won't even pretend to entertain the question. Does anyone have any particular teas that they've seen coffee drinkers enjoy? Or maybe know someone they can ask, or something?

I switched to tea from coffee by finding teas with similar flavors (e.g. chocolate notes) and then brewing the tea triple strength. I used to drink my coffee black, and had enjoyed green tea for many years before that, though, so your mileage may vary.

The Colombian Bold Breakfast Blend Organic from Upton feels a little bit like something a coffee drinker might enjoy, and is my regulation rotation. Old South Meeting House breakfast blend from Upton is another I keep in rotation.

Hmm, maybe the boldness of breakfast blends is the key, there.

And when I could have coffee, I enjoyed the freshness of green teas in contrast. Sencha is pretty easy to get in to, though I always enjoyed China greens like bi luo chun a little more.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Puerhs are great, though I never quite got into them. Good to try for sure.

Thought of another suggestion: Christmas teas. If she likes chai, these may be a gateway. They're not as heavily spiced but are very pleasant to drink for most people.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Duquoc posted:

Most teas simply lack the body of coffee

Hence my "brew at triple strength" hack

And don't be completely discouraged, neogeo. If my husband (or a friend) tries too hard to get me into something my paranoid brain automatically assumes it is not in my best interest and nothing will get me to try whatever it is with enthusiasm. Sometimes I realize what is happening and sometimes I don't! But good luck.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Heath posted:

Have you ever tried gongfu brewing? You can get a lot more mileage out of a lot less tea without having to just brew it stronger.

I have, and it's nice when I have time! I am the awful person who replaced my pre-work coffee with tea and my brain does not do gongfu on weekday mornings. The closer I keep it to my old coffee habits the easier when I wake up. (I was not a coffee snob.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Agrinja posted:

A favorite tea is now undrinkable because of tannins. I just got so sick. Is there a way to cut this without milk and still get good flavor? I'm lactose intolerant and I'm open to trying a small amount of milk if it won't make me ill.

You can always try a non-dairy milk to see if you like it. Not almond milk-- that's too thin generally-- but maybe oat might work.

I do love a nice Earl Grey latte, so you can definitely get good flavor.

Seconding the "no tea on an empty stomach" advice-- assuming it's not something like tannins giving you a migraine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh yeah if you have A2 milk available sometimes that is easier- some people have more issues with one kind of the beta casein protein (A1) and mistakenly attribute it to lactose.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

What, this is a thing? I've got the issue with the beta casein, which we only figured out because I was still reacting to lactose free stuff.

Yeah, we have competing local dairies who are bragging about their herd compositions! I guess living in the Midwest has its plusses sometimes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
They're just gongfu brewing!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Jesse's tea is influencer prices; give them a search on r/tea for more.

Gongfu is fun and you can do it with your normal coffee mugs, a saucer to keep the heat in, and then a little 3" mesh strainer or single-mug brewing basket to pour through.

I like Upton Teas for samplers.

Gongfu is good if you're the sommelier-type who is trying to taste the layers in everything. It's fun to do and keeping a thermos of water to pour each serving with means the tea is always hot, which is nice on a chilly morning. Western style is good for enjoying the tea as a complex package, and often is the better choice for many teas.

effika fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Harney & Sons Paris always seems to be a hit, glad you liked that one!

Try those same teas brewed western style. I wonder if some of the more subtle notes are getting separated out in the gongfu steeps such that they're harder to catch without coaching. The white tea is always going to be subtle, and that one especially may benefit. (Maybe Not the puer, that probably won't get better.)

Then you can figure out if you like those teas at all, and start dialing in gongfu steeps to get what you want out of them.