Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Spuckuk posted:

Are bog-standard electric kettles not an everyday household item in the US/Canada then? Literally every house and office here has one, it's as essential as a toaster.

The very idea of not having a cuppa available is a little terrifying to me :britain:

I am in British Columbia, Canada and in mine and my spouse's families, we are almost constantly drinking tea. Mainly black tea - orange pekoe, Earl Grey, English Breakfast. It is very common and normal to have an electric kettle.

I have expanded to herbals and green teas. Black teas will always have my heart :canada: but I do love my genmaicha from David's Tea.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

mojo1701a posted:

Last time I went there, an employee told me that they give further discounts if you bring in their tea cans for your tea.

This is something that David's Tea does too. I have brought in airtight glass jars and tins from other loose tea companies and saved $1 off each purchase! The staff are great and warned me to keep my glass jars in a cupboard away from the sun. I already knew this, but I thought it was good of them to try to protect my $15 purchase of tea.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

ohnoyoudidnt posted:

This is the hierarchy of standard British teabags:

Yorkshire > PG Tips > Twinings Everyday > Tetley

Uh oh, I thought Tetley was pretty good, at least better than Red Rose. I love me some British tea though, I should try to find some Yorkshire.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Drink what you like, and don't worry about whether it's the "best".

Absolutely! I like to see if other brands or types are better than what I currently drink. If people recommend a certain brand as the "best" of a type of tea, I want to try it right now :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I have 4 varieties of flavoured rooibos and usually I'm all meh about them. But I'm sick and I like tea with lemon when I feel lovely. Conveniently I have a lemon rooibos! Squeeze one or two lemon wedges and add a dash of honey, and good god is that some delicious tea. Its converted me to rooibos.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Hummingbirds posted:

Buy some, it's super cheap. Genmaicha evolved as a way to stretch out one's tea supply so it's cheap by nature.

Super cheap and super delicious. I am lazy and often make any kind of tea with water that's too hot and genmaicha always turns out. And I always take a sip and literally say "oh my god this is so good." Every time.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Sech posted:

I am fairly new to tea. I've only been drinking them for about the last year and half. I've stuck primarily to Black Teas and Oolong. I do enjoy chai tea latte, but I've never made one myself. Any guidance would be appreciated.

For a chai tea latte here's what I do:
Put a small pot on the stove on low-medium heat, add milk. I measure the milk using the mug I want. Add a tsp (or whatever the tea packaging suggests) of tea to the milk, stir. Stay with the pot and keep stirring occasionally as milk will burn on the bottom. Before it reaches a boil, remove from heat. Strain liquid into your mug, add 1-2 tsp of sugar or to taste. Enjoy! You could also remove the pot once the milk gets hot enough and leave it to sit so the tea and spices can steep more but I am way too impatient for that.

I love a tea latte so if anyone has a better method please share!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

My partner would like an automatic tea or boiling water system, like a coffee pot on a timer. Is there such a device? Even a fancy kettle that will have boiling water ready at 0530 would be great.