Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’m a dummy and somehow committed to 24 tons this year. Done with Albariño, pressing all my Grenache right now. Fuckin rip me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
2023 is gonna be a real good year for CA wine btw. It’s been cool all year, only one small heat spike last week, and everyone I’ve heard of is getting all the hang time they want while maintaining very reasonable sugars.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Nice. Over here on the east coast we order CA grapes every year to make wine. Last year was a Zin / Cab blend, among others, and this year is a Super Tuscan.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

CMS is removing the terminology "Old World" and "New World" from their tasting grids and exams starting in 2024. My understanding from a brief skim is that they're not replacing it at all, but putting more emphasis on what is "classic" for a region/varietal. (New tasting grid) I wish I was in the room for these debates; I'm sure a bunch of old people are spitting mad rn lol.

I think this could enable more "serious" study of cool/weird wines that have been ignored in the past. Also I feel like, recently, there's been more mid to high end American winemakers that are openly striving for more French-style production (read: restrain their oak usage lol). Not a lot you can do about the terrior, so I think changing the way we think about describing the harvest/production style is more interesting anyway? Plus with all these natty producers throwing wrenches everywhere we need to come up with better and more nuanced terminology.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Kinda makes sense. At my wine bar I purposefully blind taste industry folks on California chard and pinot versus Burgundy, and they all struggle to tell the difference. You can't just assume old world is rustic and earthy anymore, poo poo is getting warmer.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Redefine old world as meaning only from pre phylloxera grapes

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Redefine old world as meaning only from pre phylloxera grapes

Old World = ungrafted. I love it. The Old World is now pretty much just the Barossa and Columbia Valleys.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Kinda makes sense. At my wine bar I purposefully blind taste industry folks on California chard and pinot versus Burgundy, and they all struggle to tell the difference. You can't just assume old world is rustic and earthy anymore, poo poo is getting warmer.

Yeah I just had a St. Joseph I think? that was 14.5 on the label but felt like more, and my first thought was "dang, global warming blasting off"

26 tons this year, pretty much all finished up in barrel. Basically everyone in CA got at least 40%++ more fruit than they expected along with plenty of good hangtime like I mentioned so there should be some decent bargains out there once the '23s are ready. I'm already sweating a little at having to move 3x as much wine >_>

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
What are you making these days?? Drop me a DM if you ever head up to Healdsburg.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

What are you making these days?? Drop me a DM if you ever head up to Healdsburg.

Out of curiosity, do you think Single Thread is worth a trip? I've heard mixed thoughts about the place and am looking for more reviews.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Bunch of Lodi stuff with bits and pieces of Foothills & other things here and there. Really really happy with my lineup rn. I’ll follow up in dm :)

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Out of curiosity, do you think Single Thread is worth a trip? I've heard mixed thoughts about the place and am looking for more reviews.

I think I mentioned it before in this thread, I was the opening wine director at STF, was there for almost 4 years. It's an incredible place, but it's gotten really expensive. Kinda depends what it means to you to drop $1.5k+ on dinner for two. If that doesn't dent the pocket book too hard, go for it. Plunder the insane wine list, don't do the pairings.

There are some bad rear end places in Healdsburg now, a lot of the stf talent that was on the opening team with me have now opened up other things around town. Personally, I'd go to Troubadour for their $150 menu. The chef there was our opening exec chef at stf. Same people also have a bad rear end Italian place across the street, Molti Amici. I literally go there once a week. You can eat fantastically well in Healdsburg without going broke.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I should have checked into this thread before we went up that way :)

To add content I thought I was done with all the big wine clubs shipping their last shipments for the year and our Michel Schlumberger club came in today. Will report back if any of these stand out.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

I think I mentioned it before in this thread, I was the opening wine director at STF, was there for almost 4 years. It's an incredible place, but it's gotten really expensive. Kinda depends what it means to you to drop $1.5k+ on dinner for two. If that doesn't dent the pocket book too hard, go for it. Plunder the insane wine list, don't do the pairings.

There are some bad rear end places in Healdsburg now, a lot of the stf talent that was on the opening team with me have now opened up other things around town. Personally, I'd go to Troubadour for their $150 menu. The chef there was our opening exec chef at stf. Same people also have a bad rear end Italian place across the street, Molti Amici. I literally go there once a week. You can eat fantastically well in Healdsburg without going broke.

Thank you for the thoughts, I'm leaning more towards going now and trying out the other places you've mentioned as well. Love a place with a great wine list too.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Might as well mention that if you come you might as well head to my wine bar. maisonwinebar.com. You can have a hell of a food and wine night between hitting us up, heading to dinner at Troubadour or Molti, and then just coming right back since we're open until 2am.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Hello thread,

I just got into wine like 2 years ago and am currently drinking my way around the PNW as I'm learning about wine, with an extracurricular focus on Italy & South America as I found Italian wines gently caress and I like Malbec. Does anyone here use Vivino? If you drink a lot of wine and leave detailed tasting notes I would love to follow you on the app.

I will be starting the WSET courses for wine in 2024 as I want to get up to around level 3/4 and potentially take some extra work at tasting rooms up here and have an avenue for a retirement job. Just absorbing as much as I can right now!

obi_ant posted:

Are all wine fridges basically the same? Looking for something that is reasonably priced.

New to the thread but I'd recommend checking out your local craigslist/facebook marketplace. If you're in a winey area you can get a really good deal on a fridge. I got a $300 dual zone 20 bottle fridge for like 70 bucks. I constantly see larger fridges for insane discounts.

You can google the reviews but a lot of people will just complain about noise (if theres a compressor). Getting one for cheap will limit the damage if you don't end up liking it though.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 26, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/celluh_montana/status/1744158699256463622?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Btw if any of you nerds don’t follow shittywinememes on Instagram what are you even doing with your life

It’s pretty pro shitpost wine content