Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crimson posted:

Keep in mind 1er Cru and grand cru vineyards tend to be the warmer sites, meaning they get richer and more full bodied. They're also more frequently subjected to oak instead of stainless, which will add roundness and curb some of the citrus freshness, even if the barrels are well used. For steely, mineral chablis, pick up regular AOC Chablis.

You might know the above info, just throwing that out there. Some of the top Chablis producers from top sites can disappoint people looking for that citrus/mineral/seashell thing. Raveneau and Dauvissat, for example, can be quite creamy and rich compared to baseline Chablis. It's tough to say what's "classic" Chablis when the bottom and top ends taste so different. That's all a long way of me saying, drat Kirkland makes a 1er Cru Chablis for 20 American dollars?! I'm in, thank you! Gonna nab a bottle.

I didn’t know that the premier cru typically sees oak! (I’m piuze all the way) They bottled the Kirkland one entirely in stainless, but I think you’re right that they used pretty ripe grapes.

Costco also has Juan Gil on super sale which is my go-to buy by the case party wine for my non wine friends (or for my wine friends after we’ve opened all the good stuff).

Also not a terrible price on the Cos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

Also not a terrible price on the Cos
Hearsay, but from people I trust, has it that Cos has gotten a little anonymous. Which is a pity because the 1996 was my original Bordeaux epiphany. These days my (minimal) Bordeaux buying is mostly Pichon Lalande and Lynch Bages

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Oh I totally thought you meant the Sicilian Cos wine. Not Cos D'estournel. Had to look at the picture.

Bonus wine content: Could Carneros Pinot be my tops? It was bigger. 2017 Alta Pinot Noir. Great Christmas wine with ham, if I had money and time I would do a same vintage/roughly same price west coast all tasting. Central/SB, Carneros, Sonoma, WM Valley Oregon.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ooh fun tasting idea. This would be my $30-40 tasting lineup:

Carneros: Frank Family
Sonoma: Anthill
WM Valley: Patty Green
Central Coast: Calera? Chanin? idk I admittedly don't know much or drink much from this AVA.

Bonus pinot bottle I'd also open because it's delightful:

Enderle & Moll Spatburgunder (Baden)

And then break the budget with:
- Paillard Blanc de Noirs (Bouzy, the best name for any wine region)
- Bouchard roses de Jeane (Aube)

I know Selosse has a 100% PN champagne but it's like $$$$$$ so I've never had it...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

And then break the budget with:
- Paillard Blanc de Noirs (Bouzy, the best name for any wine region)
- Bouchard roses de Jeane (Aube)

I know Selosse has a 100% PN champagne but it's like $$$$$$ so I've never had it...
Cedric Bouchard's stuff is wonderful! If you're looking for Champagne specifically made from PN I also recommend Paul Bara's Special Club (there's both a BdN and a Rose). It's less allocated and hence should be cheaper than Bouchard

Selosse has three Pinot Noir-only cuvees - La Cote Faron, Le Bout du Clos, and Sous Le Mont. The rest of the production is either BdB (Substance, Initial, the other three lieux-dits) or mixed (the millesime). I find Sous le Mont underwhelming, Le Bout du Clos more impressive than enjoyable, and La Cote Faron perfumed, perfect, and worth visiting again and again. Yes it's big $ but for me Selosse hits the very highest highs, and I crave it like once a year

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are there better resources for examining the different wines than Wineberserkers and CellarTracker from the OP?

The websites seem slow and have poop UI. Plus CellTracker ratings either don't exist or have maybe 1 or 2 reviews each?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are there better resources for examining the different wines than Wineberserkers and CellarTracker from the OP?

The websites seem slow and have poop UI. Plus CellTracker ratings either don't exist or have maybe 1 or 2 reviews each?

Depends on which wines you are looking up. If it's classics, I've found that klwines.com for instance reprints pro reviews. But they hide sold out wines from their own search, so you have to find them through Google by searching like:
Chateau palmer 2006 site:klwines.com

They review a bit more than just Bordeaux, but not everything. There's at least one more site that works the same way, but can't think of it right now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There's Vivino if you put stock in prole review aggregation. Good stuff generally have high scores, but stuff that's not very popular often get middling scores no matter the quality. The biggest problem is garbage wines getting high scores just for labels and hype.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

you have to find them through Google by searching like:

I do the same with Wineberserkers so I don't have to deal with their lovely forums search. I personally dislike Vivino for anything non-mainstream

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ola posted:

Depends on which wines you are looking up. If it's classics, I've found that klwines.com for instance reprints pro reviews. But they hide sold out wines from their own search, so you have to find them through Google by searching like:

They review a bit more than just Bordeaux, but not everything. There's at least one more site that works the same way, but can't think of it right now.

You can also check the "Include Out of Stock Items in this search?", then search for it again, it will pull something up if they've ever carried it.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=10530...ch&searchRank=1

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

You can also check the "Include Out of Stock Items in this search?", then search for it again, it will pull something up if they've ever carried it.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=10530...ch&searchRank=1

Aha!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

thotsky posted:

The biggest problem is garbage wines getting high scores just for labels and hype.

I fully understand this now. Had a bottle of 2017 Belle Glos last month and 2017 Boen Pinot a few months prior and I was surprised at how low I rated them compared to their scores on Vivino. I guess a lot of people like their Pinot Noir to taste like cheaper GSM blends.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anakha posted:

I fully understand this now. Had a bottle of 2017 Belle Glos last month and 2017 Boen Pinot a few months prior and I was surprised at how low I rated them compared to their scores on Vivino. I guess a lot of people like their Pinot Noir to taste like cheaper GSM blends.

Agree it's so hard to beat $15-20 Cotes du Rhone for simple drinkability

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
For good, lighter Pinots in the $40-50 range, try Porter Creek or Moshin. Both clock in at lower alcohol levels and show savory notes. Sadly, there's not much good Pinot for less than that. My friends at Reeve recently launched Bloodroot, and their Sonoma County Pinot isn't half bad for like $25.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Drank my first premier cru Burgundy today to celebrate the big 4-0. Got it on sale 2 years ago and have been waiting for today to pop this.

Aroma: Earthy, smokey, with some cherry and raspberry.

Flavor: Tart cherry with woody, mushroomy notes. Pucker-your-mouth acidity with medium tannins and a long finish.

Really, really good and probably the best Pinot I've had in my limited experience.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Had my best UK sparkling so far on Saturday, Wiston BdN 2014. Great mouthfeel, big and complex nose, got some orange peel and I think rhubarb (which some tasting notes online mention), but it was at a fun and busy party and I only got one glass for myself so didn't savor it properly. But bought the remaining four on the shelf today. It was a bit closed right away so I think two years in the cellar might be the trick.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've recently gotten into german dry rieslings but am having trouble finding more to try in my local area. Any other regions/varietals I should take a look at?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Virtue posted:

I've recently gotten into german dry rieslings but am having trouble finding more to try in my local area. Any other regions/varietals I should take a look at?

Alsace, but perhaps that's even harder to get?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Virtue posted:

There are a few domestic dry rieslings that are worthwhile (although nothing really compares to great dry German riesling). Check out Tatomer out of Santa Barbara, Cobb out of the Sonoma Coast, Brooks out of Willamette Valley. I personally think Graham Tatomer is doing the best job out of anyone in the US. His gruner veltliners are stellar too. He spent several harvests working for the legendary Emmerich Knoll in Wachau, Austria.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah Tatomers are very deec. If you want some insane CA riesling you miiiiight be able to find some of the old mid-90's Renaissance bottlings; I think the winemaker re-released most of them under his own Clos Saron label as the "Taken From Granite" series. It's definitely super small & super niche and now and again a bottle might be a little oxidized but they are also loving incredible wines. Not cheap but idk that you'd find comparable US 30-yo US rieslings at the same price.

Also definitely look to Oregon & look to Finger Lakes if you want to experiment. Like Crimson says you won't really get that ethereal laser beauty of German riesling but there are still some solid, drinkable dry rieslings from both areas.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Oh yeah I forget about Finger Lakes. I've enjoyed Element and Ravines from out there in the past, although it's been a few years.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My most 2 recent Alsace Rieslings were disappointing. Getting one-note peach. One was even grand cru. Both really young. Bad luck? Get some age on it? I mostly hold the region in high regard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

My most 2 recent Alsace Rieslings were disappointing. Getting one-note peach. One was even grand cru. Both really young. Bad luck? Get some age on it? I mostly hold the region in high regard.

"Grand Cru" doesn't matter that much there, it's a watered down appellation like in Saint Emilion. Producer is key. Zind-Humbrecht is usually very good. There's also other stuff to try, Sylvaner with white asparagus is a classic match and in season, but might be hard to get.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Champagne Time again: my options are Piper-Heidseck Brut (had before, enjoyed) OR Deutz Brut, which I’ve not. Both are around the same price. Opinions on which is the best bang for buck? They’re about the same price.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
drinking penfolds koonunga hill shiraz cabernet. Its fine. I can imagine if you were the kind of person who wouldn't balk at a 28 dollar table wine you'd absolutely use this as a table wine. Its got a "first vintage" of '76 which feels like a clear marketing schtick to my wine newbie rear end. Nice smoothness with enough tannins to not just vanish on my palate. Bright without any real personality, much like myself

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Opened a Chateau Gloria 1982 for the gf's birthday (drat her for that being her birth year). Drank maybe half its age. Still had cherry/currant upfront, moments of a bacon/meaty midpalate, sort of like you can get in Ribera del Dueros, and then loads of black tea and greenery on the finish.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

drinking penfolds koonunga hill shiraz cabernet. Its fine. I can imagine if you were the kind of person who wouldn't balk at a 28 dollar table wine you'd absolutely use this as a table wine. Its got a "first vintage" of '76 which feels like a clear marketing schtick to my wine newbie rear end. Nice smoothness with enough tannins to not just vanish on my palate. Bright without any real personality, much like myself
You basically have to be a penfolds/Australia expert to know which of their bottlings are worth purchasing at the <$100 price point. It unfortunately damages the overall brand I think…

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
No Control Fusion is garbage mousy, nail polish and vinegar wine that should be pulled from the market.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

What are some other wine varieties that have similar flavor profiles to Barbara D'Asti?
By that I mean like higher acid lower tannins, juicy and not sweet.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's Barbera d'Alba of course.

You might enjoy cru Beaujolais and Pinot Noir.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm new to drinking mid priced wines. It's nice to finally have a decent paying job.

I've been buying Brunello Di Montalcinos in the $40-$80 range and fell in love with the Uccelliera 2016 at about $63. I decided to order a case and went back to the same store that I got a bottle from less than a month ago and they don't have a single bottle left. Tried to find some online and haven't been able to track down a full case that ships into NY state. The price has also risen $15+ per bottle since I got mine in late October. Should I take this as a good sign of collectability and just buy a partial case from different online stores?

Any recommendations for good wines made from Sangiovese? I'm really hoping I can find a reliably good $20 go to. And save the $40-80 stuff for special occasions.

Are there any good resources for finding an online seller that ships to NY besides googling it and hoping for the best?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
How topical, drinking Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino right now and it's delicious. It's more like ~$30 though.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just went to a champagne tasting! A lot of growers and no so many big negotiants featured. Highlights of the night:

- charpentier “terre d’emotion” extra brut - fantastic on its own but has enough structure and acid to hold up to charcuterie or other fatty spreads. Kickass for $60

- mousse files “les fortes terres” special club ($105)- I think it’s the only 100% meunier special club. Rich w lots of mallo, beautiful floral nose, great saline structure.

- solemme “esprit de solemme” premier cru ($68) - never heard of this producer before and was very impressed- pretty light toast, light apple champs. Friendly for newbies with enough complexity for my wine nerd friends.

- I picked up a magnum of genet mg bb 2015 for $90 which is an absolute steal- green apple, high acid, punchy laser champagne. Like a more wallet friendly vilmart.

I’m obviously partial to meunier heavy blends but I do like my blanc de blancs too. Post yr fav bubbles! It’s that time of year…

taco show fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 1, 2022

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

taco show posted:

Just went to a champagne tasting! A lot of growers and no so many big negotiants featured. Highlights of the night:

- charpentier “terre d’emotion” extra brut - fantastic on its own but has enough structure and acid to hold up to charcuterie or other fatty spreads. Kickass for $60

- mousse files “les fortes terres” special club ($105)- I think it’s the only 100% meunier special club. Rich w lots of mallo, beautiful floral nose, great saline structure.

- solemme “esprit de solemme” premier cru ($68) - never heard of this producer before and was very impressed- pretty light toast, light apple champs. Friendly for newbies with enough complexity for my wine nerd friends.

- I picked up a magnum of genet mg bb 2015 for $90 which is an absolute steal- green apple, high acid, punchy laser champagne. Like a more wallet friendly vilmart.

I’m obviously partial to meunier heavy blends but I do like my blanc de blancs too. Post yr fav bubbles! It’s that time of year…

Mousse Fils SC owns. They have an SC rose, too, and it's terrific. Actually, most of their cuvees are great.

Current favorite growers in the Cote des Blancs are Pertois-Morriset and Paul Launois.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Current favorite grower champagne: Prevost Fac-Simile. Got a few bottles at auction recently and I’m excited to open a bottle or two for the holidays.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Always forget to post, but I'm a member of a "wine club" (Charlie Burger - really just a distributor/importer/agent/whatever here in Ontario/canada), but here's this month selection, and always curious to hear commentary.

Info sheet that goes with it - I do appreciate the flowery writing ability of wine people.

https://cb.qrd.by/l/media?f=9d5da7ee276b8349c1ca92774561cbd7&sid=7531704

Only registered members can see post attachments!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Does anyone have a good recommendation for wine glasses? I've got quite a few reidel but looking for something different this time. I was recommended zalto and gabriel glas but they are permanently out of stock.

The thinner the better, looking for a single universal glass that I can use for everything. Needs to be dishwasher safe and not break when you look at it. £25 to £40 per glass is fine.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I think Spielgelau is a good dupe of Zaltos but they are DEFINITELY hand wash.

When I was in London earlier this year a lot of the wine bars I went to were serving in Stolzle or Chef & Sommelier. Not as thin as Zaltos or Riedels but you could definitely dishwasher them and they had pretty shapes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What? Spiegelau built their business on being machine washable. Their authenthis line is a nice, sturdy and affordable alternative to riedel, but if you're looking for something different they're not it.

Zaltos are ultra thin, expensive and pretty. They will break by you breathing on them. I would not recommend them to anyone who can't get them for a pittance or free through work or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I guess I'm after Reidel thinness or thinner ideally. I got some stemless Reidel a year or so ago and they were noticeably thicker than the previous ones which I confirmed by weighing them.

I checked it with Reidel customer support and it is intentional, which is why I want to try another brand.