Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

idiotsavant posted:

Uh, a whole lot of poo poo from the Loire and or Languedoc/Rousillon and maybe Spain and etc etc etc. Try to find something from Domaine Baudry or Domaine Rimbert or like a bajillion other vignerons. It seems like a great time to be drinking wine to me.

edit: White - get you some Muscadet from Domaine de la Pepiere. You don't need their top cuve, you need the $13 poo poo that you chug on a summer day.

Dom Pepiere is really the poo poo. They are one of the last laser-sharp hold outs in a world of soft malo sell-outs. They aren't the only ones, but one of the few.

Also, I'd like to say FUUUUUCCCCKKK YOOUUUUUUUU to whomever in this thread (or the last) introduced me to Garagiste. I'm in deep to those fuckers and about to explode. GET ME MY WINE YOU DELICIOUS FUCKERS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
UHH OHHHHHHHHHHH

It's already been discussed, but I am discontinuing my relationship with Garagiste because I make the mistake of checking my email drunk and end up buying too much wine.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Garagiste can be really hit or miss. He sells some horrible poo poo as "natural expressions of blah blah" or "100% old-vine Chenin Blanc grown on schiste soil and left to spontaneously ferment and raise itself, the winery believes this is the finest white wine they’ve ever “made” and it’s a sure testament to what can be done without intervention when oxidation isn't your only motivation." The wine is a microbiological mess with a strongly oxidative character. It's like bad sherry, but without that whole flor thing.

That said, I've also got some of the tastiest and most exciting wine I have drunk from them as well. Overall I am a big fan, but I'm not 100% on the description matching what I get in the bottle. I have a much higher hit rate on wines Jon says he loves than on wines Jon sells with critics ratings &/or says he is not a fan, but it is a deal for fans of the style.

Also, The Wine Doctor just wrote about Pepiere. Their basic cuvee is a great deal, though I'd really REALLY like to get some of the Clisson.

Edit for Link: http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsformal/pepiere2012.shtml

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 22, 2012

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Purchased a '09 Dom des Hautes Noelle Muscadet today at BevMo!. I'll try it with some seafood later this week. Looking forward to that promised minerality.

After a bit of searching, Prima Vini is the only wine store that's reasonably close to me. Here's a link to their site: http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/wineries.html Are any of the reds in the lower price range worth giving a try?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Tekne posted:

Purchased a '09 Dom des Hautes Noelle Muscadet today at BevMo!. I'll try it with some seafood later this week. Looking forward to that promised minerality.

After a bit of searching, Prima Vini is the only wine store that's reasonably close to me. Here's a link to their site: http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/wineries.html Are any of the reds in the lower price range worth giving a try?

Just a quick look, but I'd probably buy at least one of these.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=11311435
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=11264216
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=11276623

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
You say that all the time

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

UHH OHHHHHHHHHHH

It's already been discussed, but I am discontinuing my relationship with Garagiste because I make the mistake of checking my email drunk and end up buying too much wine.

4/20 knows better, but he can't resist Garagiste's late night booty calls.

I had some Pinot Noir "Krafuss" from Alois Lageder. Hot drat! Italian Pinot Noir is on my map now for sure. There was a great balance between the acidity and fruit here. The fruit was delicious and long lasting with lots of lovable bright character across the entire palate.

http://www.aloislageder.eu/en/krafuss_pinot_noir

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Tekne posted:

I'd echo the Tablas Creek and Perrin recommendations by Stitecin in particular, and I'd add these recommendations:
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=11276860
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=11223190

These two will open a wider variety of types of wine. The Riesling is going to be lightly sweet and intensely fruity. It'll also be quite high in acid, I believe. The Joguet Chinon is going to be quite different from most other red wines you have had, but is a really stellar example of a cooler climate red.

That said, I'm not super excited about the selection at this shop (perhaps reflects my preferences more than the shop). If I were in Walnut Creek and wanted to go to a nice wine shop, I'd make the (short) trek to Berkeley and hit up Solano Cellars and Vintage Berkeley (3 locations in Berkeley/Albany) and also check out Kermit Lynch's retail location. I like The Wine Mine in Oakland as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-27/wine-grapes-earlier-ripening/3854912?section=sa

quote:

A report says winemakers will have to change the way they manage their vineyards to deal with climate change.

It has found grapes are ripening earlier in many of Australia's wine regions due to rising temperatures and drying soils.

Vine management practices, such as decreasing the crop yield, are also contributing to early ripening, says the report.

Previous research indicated grapes were ripening earlier by about eight days per decade over the past 25 years across southern Australia.

Dr Leanne Webb and her team from the CSIRO have now analysed decades of records from wine-growing regions across that region.

"This has been a study of potential influences on wine-grape maturity trends on a continental scale," she said.

The team studied 10 vineyards growing various varieties in five major wine-growing areas in South Australia, Victoria and Western Australia.

Its results are published in the online edition of Nature Climate Change.

The researchers say their study will help wineries develop strategies to deal with climate change.

"You can see whether there's any buttons or levers you can actually use to make changes if it gets hotter," said study co-author Professor Snow Barlow from the University of Melbourne.

He said most winemakers did not want the fruit to ripen early as this was usually when the weather was hotter.

"Hot vintages are not good for quality wines," he said.

The researchers found early ripening was due to a shift towards a warmer climate, which spurred sugar production, and drier soils which activated stress hormones in the roots that promoted maturation.

Practices such as reducing crop yields - pruning of vines so that more energy goes into producing a smaller number of grapes - also contributes to early ripening.

"It does appear that changes in climate, particularly changes in soil moisture, have been driving the grapes towards maturation and it would appear that some management interventions that have some effect on yield may also have been taking the grapes in that direction," said study co-author Dr Penny Whetton from the CSIRO.
Winners and losers

The researchers used the records of sugar levels kept by the vineyards between 1985 to 2009 to assess how grape maturation times had altered.

They combined this with temperature data from the Bureau of Meteorology, modelling of soil moisture and records of crop yields from the winegrowers.

They found early grape maturation occurred in all the vineyards except Margaret River in Western Australia, which had actually dropped back by about half a day per decade.

"When we first did this work it worried us enormously," said Professor Barlow. "But when we actually looked at the temperature records of Margaret River, it hadn't warmed, so there are regional differences in the degree of warming that has occurred."

Professor Barlow said the biggest losers were on the Mornington Peninsula of Victoria, where some grape varieties had ripened about15 days earlier per decade.

"Traditionally because it's wetter [in the Mornington Peninsula] they hadn't really had to worry about [crop irrigation], but if you look in the last 15 years it hasn't been as wet," said Professor Barlow.

While there is little wine grape growers can do about changing climate, the researchers say the study suggests changes in irrigation practices, soil management and crop yield practices might save them from having to take more radical action such as change styles, varieties or even relocate.

"Soil moisture and the yield are both areas where the grape growers can have some control," said Dr Whetton. "Through this research they can give themselves a bit more control over when the grapes mature."

She said the study also had broader implications for understanding the effects of climate change.

"There isn't a lot of work in the southern hemisphere relating trends in biological systems to changes in climate, so this work is actually quite interesting in more generally demonstrating that connection," she said.

I thought this is quite interesting. How long before the Scots start making premium sparkling wine?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ideally the English would have more than 3 or 4 quality producers before the Scots start killing it!

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
You say that all the time
This may be bad news for Texas wine, but I look forward to arguments about whether the East Bank (Wisconsin) or West Bank (Minnesota) of the Northern Mississippi River delivers the best expression of cool climate Syrah.

http://www.catchwine.com/wineries/minnesota/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tekne posted:

New wine drinker here. Recently had a 2009 Pascual Toso Malbec that both smelled and tasted very strongly of violets, but didn't overpower the other elements of the wine. That was my first "wow, this is good" experience with grape juice. Do you guys have any suggestions for bottles in the ten to twenty dollar range with distinct notes that are still pleasant to drink? I like both red and white.

I really like the Viña Cobos "El Felino" Malbec and it's around $15-$19 if you can find it. I've seen the 2008's at Total Wine lately.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1034469

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So, I registered for the IS and CS tests to be administered consecutively this April. I'm pretty excited to be finally doing this. It's something I think I've had the knowledge for, but haven't really had the time/money ($850 for both tests :jerkbag:) until now. I have taken and passed the CSW exam and I feel pretty confident about the written part of the CS. The tasting and service part I am not too sharp on. Anyone here that has taken it that can give me some idea what to expect?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Would love to tell you what I know, since I unfortunately had to take it twice. Apologies if any of this is underneath your knowledge level, just some basic tips. Some of the easy stuff can be really easy to forget under pressure.

Common questions they will ask during service:
Would you recommend me a vin du liqueur?
" an herb based liqueur?
" a fruit based liqueur?
" a nut based liqueur?
" a brandy that is NOT a cognac?
" an aperitif?
" a digestif?

And have some pairing ideas for common entrees like duck, lamb, steak with a reason why. Listen to what the master says about the dish. E.g. he told me duck with lots of herbal components, so I went southern Rhone.

Don't just give a name, you need to tell them where it's from as well, and a vintage if appropriate. Know the products you want to recommend and sell them to the master with enthusiasm.

Review the cocktails in Brian Julyan's Sales and Service for the Wine Professional because they're the classic ones you'll get quizzed on. You just need to know the base spirit in most cases. Negroni is a popular one to ask (gin based). I was asked about a Cuba Libre (white rum). Know them all though.

Know how to decant and open sparkling the Court of Masters way. There are videos on YouTube that go over this. Julyan's book also goes over it. They may give you a cheap bottle and claim it's Dom Perignon. If they ask who the winemaker is, don't say Dom Perignon like I stupidly did (it's obviously Moet and Chandon, I just wasn't thinking/wasn't expecting the question).

Keys to remember for sparkling, as I've only done the sparkling service:

-Line your silver tray with the provided linen
-Circle clockwise, serving glasses to the right with right hand
-If you have to pull a sparkling bottle from ice, wipe it with a different linen than the one on your arm
-Watch your elbows
-Give the host a taste! My coworker actually forgot this when he passed
-...and pour host last
-Slow, steady pours. Should fill the glass in no more than 2 tries if you have to initially wait for bubbles to calm before filling the glass
-Don't take the cage completely off the sparkling bottle. Loosen it with your left thumb over the top (never move this finger) with your linen draped over the top, and then move your right hand to the bottom of the bottle to aid in twisting the cork out. Loud pop loses points.
-Remember to offer an ice bucket after you're all done pouring
-You may be asked to evenly distribute some sparkling between 8 glasses. You don't need to use the whole bottle, but they should all be poured relatively the same amount.

Just review some videos/Julyan for decanting.

For the tasting, just remember that they're not trying to stump you. They're going to give you something classic. Napa cab, Aussie Shiraz, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Barolo/Barberesco, Malbec, Rhone North and South, etc. Same thing with the whites. Chard, Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Rhone White, Sauv Blanc. Probably a couple I'm forgetting but you get the idea. Don't get crazy with your guess and go with your gut. The tasting grid they use is posted somewhere on the guildsomm.com website. If you need it I think I have it at work. Focus on describing the wine accurately rather than your final guess, that's where you score all your points even if you get the conclusion wrong. Their grid doesn't include sight but this is obviously a very important aspect.

For the theory they love New World regions. Know Australia in and out, all the Napa and Sonoma AVAs, and the districts of Willamette. Some weird tips you may/may not know: Smaragd is dry white from Austria. Nigori is unfiltered sake. Nemea is in Greece. I have some study guides around somewhere, but you said you're not too worried about the theory.

This turned out super long! Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, what the hell is the IS?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

IS = Introductory Sommelier. Level 1, basically with CS (Certified Sommelier) being level 2.

Thank you for your post though, it is actually very helpful. I am still in the wine biz and think/work around theory all day every day. Service is something I've been away from for far too long to be comfortable with it. I am starting to do batteries of blind tastings to practice in that regard. I have confidence in my palate and with practice I think I can do well here.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Overwined posted:

IS = Introductory Sommelier. Level 1, basically with CS (Certified Sommelier) being level 2.

Oh duh. Yeah I'd definitely recommend Julyan's book for service review. Also remember, ladies first of course, circle the table twice if needed.

Oh and are you aware of the awesomeness that is flashcardexchange.com? They have a few useful sets of general certified sommelier cards, and more specifically they have sets for important wine regions like Australia and the DOCGs of Italy. I used those intensively and it helped a lot.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A lot of Australia's bulk wine producing areas have been flooded:

From the lack of smashed up canes, I'd say the harvesters haven't been through yet. Looks like vintage for these guys will be over some time in July.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Is western Australia flooded too? After a trip there, I mainly get wine from Margaret River.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anyone have any suggestions for decent but not terribly expensive glassware? I'm finally getting too sick of the various inherited wine glasses I have, and I'm looking to get new ones.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

AriTheDog posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for decent but not terribly expensive glassware? I'm finally getting too sick of the various inherited wine glasses I have, and I'm looking to get new ones.

Depends a lot on where you are and how you like to shop. You can get perfect matched sets of Riedel or whatever online, but wine glasses break and eventually you're going to have a weird assortment of stuff. My sister-in-law was drinking from a Spieglau I'd just bought and a huge chunk fell out of the side. She wasn't cut, but it was odd.

In the U.S., you can get a neat collection of individual glasses at resellers like Tuesday Morning and T.J. Maxx. Other times you can find good deals at Kohl's or Target. I kind of like to fiddle with the glasses, see if I like the feel and balance, and if the price is right I'll take them home, knowing that out of a set of four I'll lose one or two within a year. Dishwashing accidents, gesturing too quickly, tripping over a dog, etc. I try not to get too attached to any one glass.

Garage/estate sales can also yield some interesting glassware. When doing proper tasting, you want something crystal clear that doesn't have a lip on the rim and allows you to do a proper swirl, but for parties or other gatherings it's fun to have some weird stuff from the 70s and 80s that was never unpacked after it was received as a wedding present.

By the way, all of the above advice goes well for cocktail glasses. I like the short and stubby martini-style glasses for everyday cocktail use, but I also have absurd cactus-stemmed margarita glasses and a variety of highball glasses. And while you're at it, pick up a handful of cordial glasses and brandy snifters. They come in handy when you get into the spirits and fortified wines.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm great on cocktail glasses of all sorts, but there's so much horseshit surrounding wine glassware that I was wondering if some of you would tell me "fancy crystal of the appropriate shape per varietal" or what. Glad to hear what I wanted to hear, I guess.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Riedel makes basic Red & White stems. Just get a set of each (or just the reds if you want, that's all I have). They sell them at Target:

http://www.target.com/p/Riedel-Vivant-Red-Wine-Glasses-Set-of-4/-/A-10077707

http://www.target.com/p/Riedel-Vivant-White-Wine-Glasses-Set-of-4/-/A-10077706

And as you move on you can flesh out your collection into other, more specific designs if that appeals to you.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
I have a quick question. I'm putting on a tasting in a couple of days focusing on white wines from Germany, Austria and Hungary, and haven't had a chance to taste some of the selections. I would like to order the tasting from dry to sweet. Here is the order I had placed them in, any advice would be appreciated.

Royal Tokaji Fumint
SA Prum QbA Blue Fish Dry Riesling
Wolfgang Concerto Gruner Veltliner
Laurenz V Gruner Veltliner Laurnenz und Sophie Singing
SA Prum Wehlner Sonnenuhr Kabinett
SA Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 20, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

paradigmblue posted:

I have a quick question. I'm putting on a tasting in a couple of days focusing on white wines from Germany, Austria and Hungary, and haven't had a chance to taste some of the selections. I would like to order the tasting from dry to sweet. Here is the order I had placed them in, any advice would be appreciated.

Royal Tokaji Fumint
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

You sure the Gruners aren't dry? I would think that they would go right after your dry Riesling.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

paradigmblue posted:

Royal Tokaji Fumint
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

Seems like a pretty good lineup, but you'll probably swap around a few at the last minute depending on age and temperature and mood. If it were me (and this is just personal preference), I'd do the Austrians first, then the Germans, and finally the Hungarians in Furmint-Mad-5 Puttonyos. For a guided tasting I prefer to keep similar grapes and regions together to better show the contrasts from "same grape, same soil, different productions". For dinner parties I'm more concerned about a progression of flavor sensations based on what the dishes are.

I've had most of these... The Mad Cuvée is a lot of fun, and while it's not a true Tokaji it's a great introduction to the style and it's fun to see reactions to first time sippers. The Laurenz V wines are similarly good intros to dry Austrian white.

A bottle of Grauer Burgunder showed up at the house today. Curious to try my first German Pinot Gris, though depending on how you classify Alsace throughout the centuries...

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

benito posted:

I'd do the Austrians first, then the Germans, and finally the Hungarians in Furmint-Mad-5 Puttonyos. For a guided tasting I prefer to keep similar grapes and regions together to better show the contrasts from "same grape, same soil, different productions".

Thanks, that's sound advice, and I think that's the direction I'll go.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

paradigmblue posted:

Royal Tokaji Fumint
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

Mmmmmm...that SA Prum Spatlese is delicious, I use it as a wine pairing pretty frequently. Actually I use that Royal Tokaji 5 puttonyos too, with foie gras.

I haven't had those gruners but I'm assuming they're dry, so I'd say the gruners, followed by the dry riesling, royal tokaji furmint, kabinett, spatlese, and then the other Royal Tokaji wines. I'm not familiar with the Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee so I don't know how sweet that is.

This is primarily from driest to sweetest. Like Benito said, it might be fun to group the regions together too.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
That Prum GH Spatlese is going to be awesome, that looks like a really fun tasting.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

AriTheDog posted:

Lots of good advice here but I'll chime in and pimp the Schott Zwiesel 'Forté' series that is under $10 per stem. I use the hell out of the burg glasses.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1021407

You could get away with 6 of the Chianti/Zin glasses and have a good starting set for everything except champagne/port/snifters. Then upgrade in the future to specific bordeaux/burg glasses as budget allows and use these for water/whites/etc.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1021410

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Some Portland wine goons got together for a blind sparkling wine tasting recently at Mattdev's place. Overall it was a fun tasting and very surpising to see a bottle of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut sparkling wine place so highly in scoring amongst the crowd, I love blind tastings and how it levels the playing field. These are my notes:

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=17337

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Blind tastings are fun. I went to one featuring sweet wines and in amongst all the nice German and Austrian wines they slipped in a bottle of fruity lexia from a goonbag that they had bottled and sealed with a screw cap. It scored really highly (equal second on the night) and it had a number of pretentious wine snobs (the kind that ONLY drink wines from specific regions that are really famous for it and tell you all about it) raving about it.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Some Portland wine goons got together for a blind sparkling wine tasting recently at Mattdev's place. Overall it was a fun tasting and very surpising to see a bottle of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut sparkling wine place so highly in scoring amongst the crowd, I love blind tastings and how it levels the playing field. These are my notes:

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=17337

The Gloria Ferrer was surprising for one of two reasons, depending on who you were. Either you were surprised that the $15 domestic bubbly was so good, or you were baffled that anyone would score such a simple, flabby wine so highly. I was in the second camp. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't find anything to like about it. Definitely the most polarizing wine we drank.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Anyone ever been to/heard of (removed). Realized being specific might be a dumb idea. Interviewing for a nice somm position in Vegas! Very excited.

Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2012

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Crimson posted:

Anyone ever been to/heard of (removed). Realized being specific might be a dumb idea. Interviewing for a nice somm position in Vegas! Very excited.

Good luck!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/14/marijuana-laced-wine-grows-more-fashionable-in-california-wine-country.html
:stare:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Did you get that job Crimson? JR is phenomenal, I've loved the food and the wine lists every time I've been to one of his restaurants.

What is everybody drinking recently?

Tonight I opened a bottle of Unti Syrah, which is nice, but unremarkable, and a disappointment compared to their (cheaper) Rhone blend called Petit Frere. I have a bottle of Chateau Pierre Bise Anjou Gamay in the fridge chilling down in the hopes that I can salvage this evenings wine. Recent top bottles have been Domaine Philippe Tessier Cour-Cheverny, a 100% Romorantin oddity, various Bourgueils, probably my favorite appelation with the Bretons leading as my favourite producers, and a Library Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from Sawyer which I am probably going to drink at my wedding. It's a big fruit bomb, but the oak is well integrated (read: hidden, so I don't notice it, which is a big old plus for me), and it will be an absolute crowd pleaser.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

Did you get that job Crimson?

I did! Manager/Sommelier at L'Atelier! Had my first night tonight, seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. "I am protected" gets 50% off wine! Ok not really, but do we have any Vegas wine goons?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Crimson posted:

I did! Manager/Sommelier at L'Atelier! Had my first night tonight, seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. "I am protected" gets 50% off wine! Ok not really, but do we have any Vegas wine goons?

drat!!! Congratulations! That's a pretty good gig, all told. Just make sure to get some more interesting wines on that list than Vegas places (with some few exceptions) tend to have, and you could be on to the second star.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

drat!!! Congratulations! That's a pretty good gig, all told. Just make sure to get some more interesting wines on that list than Vegas places (with some few exceptions) tend to have, and you could be on to the second star.

Thanks! Very excited. And yes, it's too bad Vegas is dominated by the large distributors, because back in Phoenix I got all kinds of boutique wines from the smaller guys. My restaurant has a pretty good selection (2 glasses wine spectator award), but the new world wines especially aren't really off the beaten path.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Went to a local winery in Dayton (http://www.brandeberrywinery.com/index.html) for a tasting recently. The Cherry Truffle was amazing. It has sweet cherry, grape, and chocolate flavors, with a golden color. The smell was amazing (the best part of wine tasting). The chocolate hits the palate first, but not too strong, and the fruit flavors followed it. Overall a very well balanced taste.

I've had two other chocolate wines (one was like a Yoo-Hoo both in color and taste, the other was a red and barely tasted chocolatey at all), and this one is so much better than either of them. And it's a great price too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Crimson posted:

L'Atelier is a terrific restaurant. Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, do you have control over the wine list?