Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just a friendly reminder that smaller (emphasis smaller) US retailers, importers, and distributors are all about to eat poo poo hard with potential 100% tariffs on Euro wines. Contact your reps or comment here among other places. Think there’s a second regulation action available for public comment somewhere, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean, good for my short term wine prices, not good when my distributors go bankrupt and the small shops that sell my wine go bust from supply issues.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Last minute, but if you're in the US take a second to comment on the 100% EU wine tariffs: https://beta.regulations.gov/document/USTR-2019-0003-2518

It's not easy to see, but they're going to screw over a ton of US businesses and citizens when distributors and importers get hosed with tariffs, when wine shops, restaurants, and consumers get hosed with doubled prices, and when domestic producers all get hosed because all those distributors, importers, and wine shops go out of business and they don't have places to carry or sell their wines.

These tariffs are going to hurt a shitload of friends and acquaintances pretty bad, 99% of whom are involved in small, local businesses. It isn't cutting your nose off to spite your face, it's cutting your face off to spite your face. Anyways, brave new lovely world I guess.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bape Culture posted:

Can anyone help me bring out some flavours please. I was eating at a restaurant and the menu had the most wonderful torrontes (Susana Balbo Signature Torrontes 2018) and as a result I bought a full case. It was paired with a super rich duck dish and it made the wine have crazy tropical fruit flavours and sweetness.

How can I get that sort of flavour out of it again? Is there a cheese or something that will do it? On its own it just isn’t as enjoyable and id prefer to not require a whole meal. Thanks.

Ps: while we’re here, any recommendations similar to the above?

You can always try duck rillettes I guess.

Other than that play with serving temperature and decanting/time opened. Temp especially can have a huge effect on white wine aromatics; if you’re drinking it fridge cold you’re probably losing a big chunk of the wine. My Albariño & rose both typically drink much better at 60-65 degrees F than they do colder, and they can also take at least a little bit of air to open up.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah the “banana” is something that carbonic maceration can really emphasize (thus finding it in Beaujolais frequently) and it’s one of the things I don’t like about carbonic. Just 100% a note that shows the hand of the winemaker but not in any interesting way.

Kinda like excessive ethyl acetate from kloeckera blowing up a native fermentation and then not being managed well - it isn’t necessarily a flaw, more like, “hey man, your fly is open”

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Re CA Merlot, Inconnu used to make a dope Carneros Merlot that was like $35 and nailed it for style, value, etc. Haven’t had it in a while tho & Laura moved up to WA for a vigneron project so idk if it’s changed.

Also re: putting wine in fridge from earlier, it’s fine, worst case scenario you’ll get some tartrates precipitating out. Overheating wine is bad, but cooling wine isn’t that much of a problem. Still, always good to treat your older stuff with care & make sure temp changes are more gradual.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Natural wine is awesome in the way it expands the borders of what wine can be and how we can think about wine. OTOH it's dumb as gently caress when it comes to dogmatic gatekeeping bullshit. Too much VA is a flaw (literally a legal flaw here in the US iirc; can't bottle it if it's too high), mouse is a flaw. They're both the result of bad winemaking, bottom line.

It's one thing if you're super sensitive to VA and you insist on drinking natural wine - you're kinda digging your own grave in that case. But there's too much natty stuff out there with unacceptable levels and making a customer pay for flawed wine is uh, yeah, I wouldn't bother going back either.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
2021 CA harvest is off to the races. Feels like 2020 but even earlier, hopefully minus all the smoke. Getting a bunch of white grapes today, looks like a lot of other people are picking whites, sparkling, rose already as well. 2020 made some really good wine, fingers crossed that this year is the same!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah Tatomers are very deec. If you want some insane CA riesling you miiiiight be able to find some of the old mid-90's Renaissance bottlings; I think the winemaker re-released most of them under his own Clos Saron label as the "Taken From Granite" series. It's definitely super small & super niche and now and again a bottle might be a little oxidized but they are also loving incredible wines. Not cheap but idk that you'd find comparable US 30-yo US rieslings at the same price.

Also definitely look to Oregon & look to Finger Lakes if you want to experiment. Like Crimson says you won't really get that ethereal laser beauty of German riesling but there are still some solid, drinkable dry rieslings from both areas.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Bilirubin posted:

Have to give a shout out to the dry Rieslings from the Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys of British Columbia. If you can get some try Eighth Generation or Ex Nihilo.

Right now I am having a Black Sage 2019 Zinfandel that tastes to delicious that I'm pretty sure I'm going to get into trouble for opening something too expensive on a week night

As long as we're still talking Riesling, the 2021 Peter Lauer "Barrel X" feinherb is absolutely bonkers, especially at the price. It manages to hit an impossible balance where there's the smallest bit of RS up front that juices up the attack but disappears entirely as it evolves on the palate and finishes dry. And it's like 25-ish bucks, total steal.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

Isn't that a little hard to evaluate without seeing a bottle list? Otherwise, nice boxes.

Even if the bottle list is solid, 15-yo unrefrigerated San Jose U-Stor-It wine is uh, optimistic

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’m a dummy and somehow committed to 24 tons this year. Done with Albariño, pressing all my Grenache right now. Fuckin rip me

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
2023 is gonna be a real good year for CA wine btw. It’s been cool all year, only one small heat spike last week, and everyone I’ve heard of is getting all the hang time they want while maintaining very reasonable sugars.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

Kinda makes sense. At my wine bar I purposefully blind taste industry folks on California chard and pinot versus Burgundy, and they all struggle to tell the difference. You can't just assume old world is rustic and earthy anymore, poo poo is getting warmer.

Yeah I just had a St. Joseph I think? that was 14.5 on the label but felt like more, and my first thought was "dang, global warming blasting off"

26 tons this year, pretty much all finished up in barrel. Basically everyone in CA got at least 40%++ more fruit than they expected along with plenty of good hangtime like I mentioned so there should be some decent bargains out there once the '23s are ready. I'm already sweating a little at having to move 3x as much wine >_>

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Crimson posted:

What are you making these days?? Drop me a DM if you ever head up to Healdsburg.

Bunch of Lodi stuff with bits and pieces of Foothills & other things here and there. Really really happy with my lineup rn. I’ll follow up in dm :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Btw if any of you nerds don’t follow shittywinememes on Instagram what are you even doing with your life

It’s pretty pro shitpost wine content