Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drat...this thread is gonna make me go out and buy a bunch of wine shortly :o

Edit for content: What's a good region/vintage that's hitting the shelves currently/soon? I know 2008 Oregon pinot was fantastic (and I still have some, though I didn't buy as much as I would have liked), anything of similar quality that's out right now?

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Walked posted:

Anyone care to give me a rundown on Wine Tasting etiquette?

I went to my first one this weekend and felt like a lost retard.

The water between varieties of wine. Drink, spit, what? I've heard to spit the wine out as you drink, rather than actually consume. Yes, no?

What other stupid poo poo did I likely do / should I avoid? I had fun, but want to know a bit more for the next time.

First off, enjoy yourself, and anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable is a jerk.

In general, you should try to preserve your palate (palette?) by working from lighter wines to heavier wines - there is no specific order, but if you ask whoever is pouring what you should try first, they'll be able to tell you. If you feel like your tastebuds are getting overwhelmed, take a sip of water, and either spit it out or swallow it. Crackers or bread between tastes can have the same effect.

As far as rinsing your glass, if you stick to the same order as tasting, it'll have minimal effect (though if you're going to higher end wineries, I'd probably be more in favor of rinsing more often).

Whether to spit or swallow is a decision best left up to you. If you're only going to be tasting a few wines that day, go ahead and consume. If you're hitting up multiple wineries, you're probably better of spitting - you don't want to get drunk if you're trying to appreciate the qualities of the wine, and spitting will make you more likely to cleanse your palate. I've gone on some tastings with 30+ wines in one day where I mostly consumed, and by the end if you asked me what any given bottling tasted like, all I could've told you is red or white.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Just opened a 2008 Belle Glos Pinot Noir, Las Alturas vineyard. Could easily have held onto it for a couple more years, and it definitely needed decanting, but it's pretty drat good. Wish I bought more of this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nwin posted:

So it sounds like the spouts are worth it as it does what decanting does, but quicker?

My mom and her husband picked up a Vinturi a few months ago and have been using it pretty regularly - it improves most wines, and it hasn't made a single wine less pleasant to drink.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

YES. Sorry to break rose chat, but for the first time in awhile I've found one of my favorite inexpensive Spanish reds locally, Volver. At $8.50/btl, I'll probably be buying a case or three when I get my next paycheck.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

WhiteHowler posted:

Apologies if this has been answered a million times, but I scanned back a few pages and didn't see it mentioned.

Are any of the big US wine shipping retailers worth using? Is there one that goons would recommend? My state recently legalized to-the-home wine deliveries. Some of the companies haven't updated to allow my state yet, but a few have.

My wife and I are not huge wine drinkers but want to sample more. We mostly don't leave the house due to pandemic stuff, so delivery has become a staple in our lives.

Or am I better off throwing on a mask and braving my local mega-mart's wine aisle? Publix has a surprisingly large selection, though it's obviously mostly mass-market wines.

There are a couple approaches you could take.

There are DTC (Direct-To-Consumer) clubs that use a machine learning driven approach to figure out what you do and don't like. I haven't tried one and can't recommend as a result, but you can look at Firstleaf, Bright Cellars or any more of the dozens (if not hundreds) of options out there. That said, these are generally on a subscription model and I can't speak to their plans - they may require a monthly box, a quarterly box, I don't know. Investigate and figure out if you'll be ordering more than you can consume.

One option I have used in the past, and was quite happy with, was Garagiste (https://www.garagiste.com). I don't really drink wine any more, but their model is not subscription based - it's a mailing list. You'll get a daily email with what they have on offer, they cellar it for you until you have a full case (or cases) to ship, and when the weather is right. You can request shipment at any time, and they'll do it. Buy as much or as little as you want, but it is a CYOA service. It's at least worth getting on their mailing list and seeing what they're selling these days, since there's no obligation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Isn't that a little hard to evaluate without seeing a bottle list? Otherwise, nice boxes.