Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

No Wave posted:

I was in a wine store yesterday and I was talking to one of the staff members about a bottle of Vin Jaune. She described a method of opening so that it would be less oxidized. Apparently, you fill up a bucket with water, pull out the cork a little bit and pull the cork out underwater? I was really confused by this. Does anyone know more about this?

Uhhh, you gotta pour it into your glass eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Don't also ignore Barsac and Cadillac. Barsac is technically part of the Sauternes AOC, but they are allowed to use either name and many go by Barsac. Cadillac has some good producers and just okay producers, but they are all tremendous values.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

From what I understand, Syrah is very responsive to the skin's exposure to sunlight. This is also true of Cabernet, though it is a naturally more tannic grape. However, what I'm saying is that Syrah can be shaded to develop lower tannin skins or allowed to bask a bit more and develop a pretty hearty tannin.

that Vai sound posted:

I've had a couple different wines from Bordeaux recently, and I'm surprised by their aggressive flavor. The tannins seem quite gritty. I've always thought that syrahs are supposed to be more aggressive, but the ones I've had from Cotes du Rhone have been smoother. It could just be what I've purchased, because I haven't tried very many from either region.

In general, the better the Bordeaux wine, the more you need to age it. These have been wines meant to age for centuries and while they are moving a bit towards early drinkability, they still need lots of age. That "gritty" sensation you get is their typical gravelly nature. This nature subsides into an almost floral and graphite note as they age. There is usually a lot of fruit in a Bordeaux wine, though you have next to no access to it when young. I have had a lot of lush 10+ year old Bordeaux. In fact, that is Bordeaux's calling card for me.

And a small correction: If you are drinking a wine labelled "Cotes-du-Rhone", about 80-90% of the time there is little to no Syrah in it. While there are some Syrah-dominated CDRs from the Northern Rhone, they usually choose to use their village-level appellations for lower end wines (Crozes-Hermitage, St. Joseph, etc). Most (and please understand that this varies widely) Cotes-du-Rhone are dominated by Grenache, which is decidedly less tannic than Syrach. There are usually a host of other grapes in the blend, but I can say for a fact that most Southern Rhone winemakers have an odd prejudice against Syrah.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's your bottle of wine. You are going to drink it. So that makes you an expert. Not being facetious here, just letting you know that you are the ultimate arbiter of what tastes good.

Vieille Cure is a good wine, though Fronsac and Canon-Fronsac are a bit of an odd duck in the world of Right Bank wines. While still Merlot-dominated, there's an interesting graphite and ash nature to the wines--almost menthol. I like these wines to be held a bit longer than your average St.-Emilion. I would say for you to wait another 2 years if you can. Just because you'll get more layers out of the wine as it ages. That being said, I'm not a fan of hording. So if you have some nice steaks or similarly hearty/spicy food, give it a go. It's also not a wine that costs so much that you simply HAVE to have an optimal experience. In fact it's a very good value.

However, the next time you venture out into Bordeaux wines, perhaps try a St.-Emilion or Pomerol. From there you can head over to the big bad Left Bank. Here your primary point of access should maybe be second wines from famous or semi-famous estates. Names like Haut-Bages-Averous which I guess is now called "Echo de Lynch-Bages" (loving ugh), La Croix Beaucaillou (second wine of Ducru Beaucaillou), and Chevalier Lascombes (Ch Lascombes) come to mind. But there are many many others to choose from. Have fun out there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

If you want the pinnacle of Sauvignon Blanc from any country (NZ are under-ripe in my opinion) seek out Sancerre from France. Crochet through Rosenthal is a good place to start. You get the grassiness and lime leaf but there's actually developed fruit underneath it.

Of course, Sancerre is't anywhere near as cheap as NZ SB, but they aren't terrible dear either. For SBs with similar character and at similar price, try South Africa (Fairview is a good place to try, but wines that are impossible to spell like Buitenvewachting are pretty awesome for a couple bucks more) or Chile will work for you I think.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Noseman posted:

They are indeed full of poo poo. Instead of enjoying a tasting, they're being blindly fooled by the marketing schemes made by the glass manufacturers.

As long as a glass is clean, reasonably sized and has a stem, it's perfectly usable in tasting all kinds of wine; reds, whites, rosé and sparkling. Heck, I'd say it's perfect for tasting beer and liquor too.

Sure, different glass can serve different functions. A wider glass is better for opening up a closed wine, and a slim glass is better at containing bubbles in a champagne for instance. But turning down a tasting because the same type of glass is used, which is the case on every single professional tasting I've ever been to, is just pathetic.

I just want to say I agree with everything this person said. I have seen firsthand the (subtle) differences different glassware can bring, and I still say that if your choice is being sober or drinking out of the "wrong" glass then...well, what the gently caress are you waiting for? Get drinking.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I wish I could say they are affordable, but Stolpman excels at all thing Syrah.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

No but I've thought of making some from some wire and some bits of wood as handles. You don't need to use them on port, you can open any old bottle with them it's just that vintage port was typically the wine that people kept for the longest.

I always refer to these by their colloquial French name which is Butler's Best Friend which implies they are both useful for opening wines with old/soft corks and for opening wines surreptitiously.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

FYI I have it on good authority that Goldeneye does or at least did regularly blend Petite Sirrah into their Pinot. Being in the industry I try not to be too elitist about thing like this. However, I find the crime of Petite Sirrah into Pinot unforgivable.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah it's one of my brain glitches to always give Petite Sirah two Rs. Also thanks for reminding me what the South Africans call it. I can never remember that word. I'm not a fan of it in general. I have never found one I was even remotely fond of. I am an ostentatious "old world" wine drinker, but I really want for there to be a good varietal that is more American than just about anything else. I guess Zin will have to hold on to the crown for a little while longer.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crimson posted:

Givry wines tend to be riper, with higher tannins. They can take an extremely long time to open up. They're quite different from their neighbors to the north. If you want that lighter, more elegant style Pinot look for village level wines from the Cote de Beaune - Volnay, Aloxe-Corton, maybe Pommard.

I would have added village-level Morey-St.-Denis but my god, there's no such thing as a cheap MSD any more. It fits the style, though.

There are some villages without the cost-inflating effect of a Grand Cru present that I really like. Like for instance St. Aubin. I really like whites from here, but I've had a red or two that was very good.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

At this point in the state of affairs in Champagne, I'm not sure even Roederer can do a decent Roederer impression.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Kasumeat, you have very strong (and strange) opinions that many people here do not share. One way or another, I would ask that you take the absolutism that is reeking from your posts and reconsider the impact it may have on the more impressionable readers here. It is in no way appropriate for you to dissuade anyone from trying and exploring any wine region so that they can form an opinion of their own.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Personally, I think concentrated or "extracted" fruit structures will age well, but only insofar as they will not change for some time, then they will fall off the table and become garbage. They taste pretty good young, and they last for some years, but they don't really change. In my experience, the major key to ageing can be reduced down to acid. If you look at all the classic examples of ageable wine, be they delicate or full bodied, the one they have in common is acid.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Why are you starting with Sherry? After 15 years in the wine industry I have only recently acquired a taste for Sherry. Don't get me wrong it's delicious and under-appreciated, but the flavors are not like anything else you find in the wine world. I feel like you could turn yourself off to Sherry in the long run if you push the issue. You're almost better developing your palate on other wines until you have the perspective to bring back to Sherry. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Oh, you're doing it because of Poe. Well, my warning stands. If you want to enjoy Sherry, seek out a gateway wine first.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

You don't want to know the price of the Dugat-Py.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The INAO certainly does have RS restrictions on some appellations, but not all. There is no such regulation in California. However, California wines can be deceptively sweet on the palate for the reasons already mentioned. However, they do in general run higher in RS than their European counterparts. At least some of this is out of their control as PA levels are much higher there simply because the growing season is long and warm.

All that being said, if you look at total sugars in any of these wines, they are much lower than I think people perceive. If I remember correctly, Coke has somewhere over 20 grams per liter. So this often becomes the case of the person bitching about a sweet dessert, but then getting 3 Cokes with their meal. Anything that we consider "dry" wine is in fact fairly low in sugar when you look at the overall picture.

If anyone is interested, I can relay the effects of alcohol on blood sugar and how it acts when it is metabolized.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's true that one is cherry-picking to prove a point. It's also true that the other is defensive about the wines they make. But the most important point is that it's a fine difference as I've mentioned before. I suspect both of petty vino-political maneuvering to grind their respective axes. It's not an original argument in the least; it's not the slightest bit informative or interesting (if only to tell us that lovely bulk producers make lovely wine - GASP) and there's no good nature in it.

It has no place in this thread.

close to toast posted:

By the way, hi everyone. Been lurking this thread for a long time! Enjoyed a lovely 2010 Domaine Philippe Delesvaux Anjou Rouge last night, which is a 100% cab franc from the Loire. Picked it up quite cheaply at a local cheese shop ($17) and was very pleasantly surprised! A great casual wine to have with friends.

Yes, but how much RS does it have? That's the the only interesting thing you can ask of a wine.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 24, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's not interesting because what you say you want is not what you're getting, pretty much for the reasons you yourself listed. I think you are the one that objected my objections of Kasumeat's tirade about Bordeaux. You said that you needed information as a new wine drinker and I get that. What you don't need is us to make the subjective decisions for you. Even though Kasumeat tried to ascribe measurable reasons to why he thinks Bordeaux is garbage his "evidence" neither supports his claim nor gives anyone else any real insight into what goes on there. It's just his snobbish effete opinion dressed as some sort of fact and I found it absurd and more importantly of ZERO help to a new wine drinker.

You need to be more cautious of the milk you're drinking. If you ultimately want dismiss Bordeaux as he does, that's your prerogative. But certainly not before you've taken the time to explore yourself. Let's take the two offending posts together. In the first, he lambasts a region because he says ripeness is never attained, sugars are too low for true phenolic ripeness, and tannins too high. In the second he lambasts a huge growing region using only a select number of examples, focusing on one attribute (which is not even the attribute in question) because their sugars are too high.

Well, you want drier wines. I can respect that. I drink dry wines and I think the majority of long-term wine drinkers tend towards dry wines. But the conclusion you have already jumped to thanks to Kasumeat's hyperbole and absolutism is that sugar = fruit, that suger = bad, and that there's an appreciable difference between a wine at 2 g/L and one at 5 g/L. All of these are shaky if not false assumptions. And it's perfectly possible that none of these things may hold true for you.

Is it important to know that 7 Deadly Zins is 11 g/L? Yes. Because bad winemaking is often masked with too much sugar. However, if you take Kasumeat's view you will never taste a single California wine nor Bordeaux wine in your life. And I'm sure I can extend his conceits to several other of the world's winegrowing regions so that all we're left with are just his pets. You don't need constriction you need expansion and freedom of choice.

The major mistake you are making, and it's one that many new winedrinkers make, is that we can offer some special insight to how your palate is that you somehow cannot. This is false. If we as wine people are not listening to what you say and instead trying to tell you what you should be drinking then we've failed. I know it's easier to ask what we like and go from there and in fact this isn't the most damaging thing you can do to yourself. A lasting and deep appreciation for wine flows, as most things, from experience. It has always been my opinion that you should be a wine omnivore at all times.

I personally work in the US for a European wine importer that focuses on minimal intervention wines from Spain, France, Italy, and Germany (and a little Greece) and a handful of spirits. On the opinion side of things, I am more in line with Kasumeat than I let on. The difference is I'm not here to graft my tastes onto you nor bully people into my way of thinking. It's up to you to ask the right questions. Don't say "Tell me what to drink!". Ask, "If I this, this, and this are some things I've liked, what else can I try that will offer a new experience and why?"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

No Wave posted:

I never said that more residual sugar made for bad wine, and I'm not sure why you're assuming that anyone is picking that up. I generally avoid sugar when possible for health reasons (which I didn't make clear in my previous post) but Sauternes is (in general) my favorite wine of all so far.

If I told you that as a product I think Sauternes is garbage, would that help you? This is what I believe by the way. If it sways you then you are either gullible or confused.

quote:

You think I'm going to go around telling people their Opus One is crap

but Opus One is garbage

quote:

having never tasted it?

Then why would you need a loving techsheet if you fully intend to taste it before forming an opinion. What can a techsheet tell you that your palate cannot????

quote:

Give me some credit. Wine isn't the first thing I've ever learned about, and the best way to learn about stuff (besides doing it) is to hear the bases of opinionated but knowledgeable people.

By your logic, telling anyone anything about any wine is bad because it will bias them.

This is just disingenuous. If you want to believe that RS alone will tell you everything or ANYTHING, go right ahead. Again, I make my former point. You don't drink the loving tech sheet.

quote:

Sorry, a little understanding into how other people mentally organize their wines is useful, because maybe their mental framework will gibe with my experience and come in handy. I had a wine that was an 84 on CellarTracker on Saturday and I much preferred it to the 88 on CellarTracker that I had last night - I'm not allowing numbers, frameworks, and other peoples' opinions to dictate my experienced reality (beyond the point that it is somewhat psychologically inevitable). They're all just heuristics that can come in handy.

:rolleyes: You might be intentionally missing the point here. I'm not sure. RS levels below a certain threshold tell us nothing of the perceived fruitiness/sweetness of a wine. a.) Because a lot of it is in the perception of the drinker and b.) They are two different things that commonly get conflated. There are 0 g/L wines that people describe as fruity and 6 g/L wines that some will describe as earthy or dry. You seem to want to objectify winedrinking though "heuristics" and tech sheets when these are maybe the two most useless tools of all. Use your god drat palate. What the gently caress are you afraid of? If you don't like a wine it doesn't make your head explode. Then you have your own, much more solid "heuristics" to go on.

quote:

I didn't at all get the impression that Kasumeat was bullying anyone, by the way.

He was in an active dickwaving contest with someone when both obviously have an ax to grind and more importantly they were arguing about a tiny piece of the puzzle that has a small relevance to the whole. I'm sure the Cali winemaker's bias is obvious, but it's obvious to me that you don't see what Kasumeat's is.

And with that I am going to leave you, in particular, alone with your fanboyism of a wine tyrant. I understand that many people should be curious about the technical aspects of winemaking. And they should be. Oftentimes it's very fascinating stuff. Pretending that technical knowledge without experiential is in any way useful is like saying that knowing a chef's exact recipe BEFORE tasting the dish somehow enhances the flavor. It's not wrong to do. In fact in this realm nothing is really wrong. But when used in place of experiential knowledge you do nothing but apply conceits to yourself.

Get interested in the process, sure. But the process is nothing if not for the experience. There is no other reason wine exists. And that is not an opinion.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hah! I like how they use word "traded" as if it were bartered for battery acid or something after finding out it was itself a poor substitute for battery acid.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crimson posted:

Just got my green (Advanced) somm pin gentlemen! One step closer to the ultimate goal, but yet still so drat far. The test was brutal, I was sure yet again that I didn't pass the theory portion, it was heavy on Spain, one of my weaker countries. Tasting was my strong suit. Don't want to look at a flashcard for at least a couple months.

That's a real accomplishment! Thank you for sharing it and CONGRATULATIONS!! I have a friend that took it a couple of times and he confirms that it's an absolutely brutal test, a BIG step up in difficulty from the CS exam. I have a ton of questions for you, but they can wait. Enjoy your new fancy pin!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I like old Mosel Pradikatswein because it smells like turpentine. Oh yes, I most certainly put it in my mouth.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

benito posted:

I spent last week on a press junket in Lodi. Lots of in-vineyard tastings off the tailgates of pickup trucks with the winery dogs. I had a blast. Cool stuff going on there--the winemaker from Bokisch mentioned that he had 20 acres of Dornfelder, and he's got a buyer for all of it. Who knew?

I love that picture for a lot of reasons.

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm guessing the dog isn't a fan of rosé?

Every...being likes rose! Come on!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

benito posted:

I agree completely. If you want to spend $10 on a bottle of wine that won't taste like crap and might actually be good, go for pretty much anything from Spain. Red, white, pink, sparkling... You'll get something that is drinkable, enjoyable, and will match well with a broad range of foods. Decent Pinot Noir will set you back a bit more regardless of the region.

Spain is still a go-to for European value, although I would add the South of France to that. Although you may have to bump that up to $15.

I'm a big fan of a Puydeval, an inexpensive little Cab Franc dominate blend. It's made by some American dude, so it's juicy, but herbaceous and spicy all at the same time.

I've noticed that my clients will bitch and moan about a Cabernet that is $14 wholesale when they think it should be $13, but if I say "Hey I have this awesome $43 Pinot Noir" they don't even bat an eyelash before buying it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

himajinga posted:

I had kind of a strange experience last night that I thought someone who knows better than I do might be able to explain. I opened a bottle of wine (2011 Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir) and took a quick taste immediately after opening it. It was wonderful, earthy, fruity, lots of flavor. I decided it was fine without a decant and poured a small glass for myself and a small glass for each of the people I was with, and it tasted the same. About 10 minutes later when we all went for another glass, the wine had lost almost all of its flavor and all we got were incredibly drying tannins that seemed to last a really long time and a watery washed out taste. The entire rest of the bottle was this way and I was pretty disappointed. Thoughts as to why it almost immediately went dull?

I'm not a huge fan of Drouhin, but I have to admit that a "right" bottle shouldn't have been that short. They are a quality wine producer. That being said 2011 WAS a difficult vintage. Nonetheless, 10 minutes should not have erased that wine.

My guess is that the bottle was mishandled. Probably it was allowed to get just a little to hot. That's my guess because I find that's the major flaw I've noticed with a wine that has mild heat taint: seems fine for a minute but then very quickly falls apart. If this is the case it's almost impossible to pin down where the problem came. Could be anywhere from the winery to you! You can talk to your retailer and see if they've had anyone else complain about it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

himajinga posted:

Huh, that would make sense as I thought it looked a little "bricky" in color for not being old. Maybe I'll ask Costco about it. Would light do it as well?

It can, yes, but given the glass is shaded and the wine not that old, I doubt it was light. Costco is pretty drat bright, but I feel like you'd have to have a bottle right underneath one of their lamps for a long time to get light damage. You almost never hear about it. The bricky color is a good indication of heat damage. Older wines will start to take on such colors, but I don't think of a 3 year old Pinot as being "old".

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Was it a Stelvin Closure? Stelvins are largely reliable, but if they get mishandled in shipping, the seal will break. I've also seen more and more that have had their sleeves mis-formed, which I doubt makes a hermetic seal at all.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

himajinga posted:

While I'm in here, I thought I should get some advice. I live in Seattle and mostly drink PNW wines since they're tasty, affordable, and my and my girlfriend's parents are both club members at various wineries around the region so we're gifted WA/OR wine fairly frequently. I was in the bay area recently and ate at a fantastic Sardinian restaurant that recommended a Cannonau with our meal and I was blown away. It wasn't expensive, I think retail is like $18, but it just had this sort of dark, tar and funky anise quality that I found really appealing and that I hadn't really tasted before. I've had a couple different Cannonaus since and they all shared this same aspect to varying degrees and I tried a Vacqueyras a week or so ago that had a bit of this flavor profile as well. I seldom drink European wines since I don't really know where to start, but I'd love to start drinking more wine that has flavors like that. Any suggestions beyond Cannonau and Vacqueyras that won't destroy my wallet/have to sit in a cellar for 10 years before they're drinkable?

Cannonau is called Grenache in France, so the shared aspect to Vacqueyras is totally logically since they might use Grenache in their blends. Grenache to me has a very wide spectrum regarding what it can be. Generally in French circles it's something that needs to be blended with other things to shore it up. Although there is one really notable exception in CDP with Rayas, but I digress. Rayas will destroy your wallet, but you'll love every minute of it.

Exploring the lesser-known Rhone appellations, like Vacqueyras will reward you both in value and in style. Check out the other Southern Rhone "Crus" like Lirac, Rasteau, or Gigondas (more expensive these days). Also, plain old Cotes-du-Rhone from noted producers will be both a great value and generally a lot of Grenache in the blend. Make sure they are from Southern Rhone if you are specifically looking for Grenache as Northern Rhone will be Syrah and that's kind of a whole other ballgame. Though I do recommend you also try out the lesser Northern Rhone Crus for value like St. Joseph or Crozes-Hermitage. These aren't mindshattering wines, but at the prices they go for they can be excellent values.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

You definitely want to stick to Finos (kept under the Flor) as the Flor blocks a lot of the oxidation and you get less of the nutty flavors.

Recently, the company I work for has started to represent this little gem: http://www.wine.com/v6/Orleans-Borbon-Manzanilla-Fina-375ML-half-bottle/wine/126268/Detail.aspx?state=CA

It has a briney minerality to is, but it's bright tart tree fruit notes are preserved by nice acidity. Overall I'd say it's bright and lively rather than musty. And it's cheap as poo poo. This is going to be one of my new Summer mainstays.

In general I can drink Sherry by itself, though I have been acquiring the taste. Food of course helps, but you know that. I feel like Sherry is something that requires an epiphany. Keep trying it and keep trying different ones and I guarantee that one day the light will come on.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Its distribution isn't what worries me. Its production does. I personally think all Champagnes are good wines. I seriously have never had a bad one. For my personal dollar there are a shitload if better ones out there, including some NVs. That being said 1996 was an amazing DP, though it's the last great one I've had. 2002 was pretty good too.

Your point about grower snobiness holds though. I love grower Champagnes, but not to the total exclusion of CMs and NMs. As with DP I think a broader view informs us. Champagne has many different expressions, purposes, and prices. When you factor all this in, sometimes an NM or a CM is the best choice, no question.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

There's really nothing like visiting a winery run by passionate people. I have had some of the best experiences of my life in some not-very-aesthetically pleasing barns. My opinion of a wine or winery has never gone down after visiting it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Lirac is a good thing to taste if you want to experience the cooler-climate side of the Rhone spectrum. In fact, against Gigondas it'd be a nice contrast.

The best ways to drink your wines is to drink your wines. Who says drinking alone will make you an alcoholic. Whoever says that IMA FIGHT DEM!!!

The number one absolute rule with bringing wine to a restaurant is to call ahead. Try to talk to a manager and gauge how irritated they sound. It is 100% unacceptable to bring the same or very similar wine to one they have on the list. There are some notable exceptions regarding restaurants (some are VERY outside wine friendly and some the exact opposite). So again, call ahead.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

No, I was more making a comment on how some (probably less than should be) price their wines well and painstakingly choose their list only to have someone bring Simi Cab to their restaurant.

But regarding your comments about pricing, I totally agree. I hate the system that's in place now. It's done nothing by breed in this smug sense of entitlement to otherwise inept and uncaring restaurant managers.

I work for a fine wine distribution house and I come across many instances of people bitching about wholesale prices who then turn around to mark the wine up 5x. It always seems to be the lazier clients who have little to no interest in building a good wine list.

To explain the mathematics to people, if you mark a $100 on a list wine up "normally" the winery will get about $17 of that, the distributor will get about $10, and the restaurant will get about $67. If you mark it up 5x, those numbers are more like $12/$7/$80 with the rest going to taxes and freight.

I would love to see total reform in this way, but I have no idea what it would look like. I do particularly like hybrid restaurants that have some retail there where you can pay retail prices for wine + a small corkage. And even though I rarely partake, I admire restaurants with lenient corkage policies. Some of my clients state they have a corkage publicly, but 9 times out of 10 they will waive it. They tell me it's only in place to keep people from bringing swill into their restaurants. And people will do that!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

2009 Syrah should likely not be vinegar after only 5 years even at room temp. It's definitely not expected. And unfortunately it's not really appropriate to go back to the winemaker after a few years. Wine is an organic product and unpredictable things happen to it over time. We just sort of accept it as the cost of great enjoyment. There's likely nothing the winemaker did wrong, either.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Haha, I'm so stealing that line for the next time I have sex with a fellow wine nerd. I probably should have said "if" :smith:

Anyway, that sounds like a stupid idea. But that doesn't mean it should stop. I enjoy reading about people doing stupid things. I sometimes even enjoy me doing stupid things.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah I have to admit, taking a red wine bath is one very small step away from a red wine enema.

Now I'm not making any qualitative judgments on this....just saying.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

The real question is whether you get enough up in you in the bath to get buzzed...

Well, I mean isn't that kind of the point?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Cotes de Rousillon tend to be heavy on the Carignan so even if Grenache dominates the blend (and it rarely "dominates" down here) the wines will be markedly different from Southern Rhone wines where it is relatively cool.

For your reference, Cotes de Rousillon is (I think) the southern-most AOC in France, butting right up against the Pyrenees along the Mediterranean. It is really quite hot here so that most of the grapes are bush-trained so that the canopy can shield the fruit and prevent it from getting sunburned. These wines are thick and spicy.

They have never been widely available in the US, but that's been getting better lately what with the rise of Languedoc wines. I like a wine called Walden, which should be available retail for $10-$14. It's a half-negociant wine (he basically buys fruit from only his neighbors because they don't make wine themselves) made by the guy that makes Domaine du Clos de Fees, an important biodynamic producer in the region.

EDIT: If you feel like ponying up a bit more and especially if you like Walden, you should try to find the regular Domaine du Clos de Fees label wines. Cheapest wine he makes retails for somewhere in the high teens, low twenties, so nothing backbreaking. It's good poo poo.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

nwin posted:

I'm willing to try anything once. Happen to have an exact name I could bring to the wine store?

I think his entry level under the Domaine du Clos de Fees label is called "Les Sorcieres". Again, this is a Cotes de Rousillon. But look for Walden too. It's a great value wine.

EDIT: The US importer is Domaine Select Wine Estates. Giving importer info to retailers really helps them track wines down. I know because I did retail for too many years!