Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
This argument is tiresome not because it's not something we should be discussing, but because it always gets framed in such a polarizing way. I find it necessary to ask a question of every question: Just what is natural wine to you? Is it no sulfur additions? No pesticides? No chemical pesticides? No pumpovers? No punchdowns? No oak? No temperature control? No yeast inoculations? It's always defined in the negative by people trying to "debunk" it, but it's a loving mirage, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Vivino is "snazzier" and there's an equivalent app whose name escapes me. But I prefer Cellartracker for its functionality. However, on none of these apps should you ever take the user-submitted scores or reviews seriously.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

T-minus two, maybe three weeks to harvest. Albarino and Grenache/Monastrell rose to kick things off. Time to start buying barrels!

Awesome! Tell us about how you feel about the fruit. What appellation(s) are you harvesting out of?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Watching this unfold is insane. This fire really only started last night? How the gently caress did it spread so fast? It's horrifying and I hope everyone stays safe. Great loss of property and, of course, tradition has already been decimated.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Here's an updated article about know damage so far: List of wineries damaged in the Wine Country fires

http://flip.it/-Z7XHY

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Kinda sad this thread is dead, I've pretty much migrated to r/wine.

Hosting Thanksgiving at my own house for the first time ever. My family aren't wine snobs, I think I'll open with some sub $20 sparkling and then just do Beaujolais. It's the new standard for that. As long as it doesn't have those banana bubblegum notes I'm gonna stock up.

Morgon seems to be the go-to to get away from the bubblegummy thing, although Moulin-a-Vent is also good for this. I've actually noticed that any Cru Beaujolais producer of any quality, regardless of the Cru, will not have those notes with any real prominence. I've also noticed that for a lot of wines where those notes are prevalent, whether they be French or American or wherever, that VA seems to be lurking underneath the fruitiness.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

So I won't claim to know the source of that note speciically. But I drink plenty of Bojo and most Cru Beaujolais that goes through carbonic doesn't have that note.

Pork is right. Most Crus go through some percentage of CM. However, to me they avoid those flavors/aromas somehow. Good Cru Beaujolais is surprisingly earthy and herbaceous. I would love some insight as to how and the next time I meet a Beaujolais winemaker I think I'll ask.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

nervana posted:

I am visiting NYC for the weekend and want to buy a couple in their late 30's a nice bottle of wine. They live in Chicago and travel often, and they enjoy wine often, so they've probably tried a whole bunch, but are not wine snobs. Is there anything in New York that I can buy that is decent and not readily available in Chicago? I am thinking under $100, but can go over that if needed. It doesn't have to be rare or anything, but I just want to get them something nice to show that I put some thought into it.

I once bought a 1970 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (just their vineyard blend) for $100 from Chambers Street Wine. They specialize in older vintages and prices really weren't shabby at a.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

If you are diligent you'll notice that many if not most biodynamic producers opt out of the whole horn full of poo poo stuff and that the more ceremonial aspects of Biodynamicism are NOT required for AB certification.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Per the posted article:

Still gotta be a cow horn homeopath to qualify. And that's hippie voodoo bullshit.

Who loving cares if it has no negative or positive impacts on the quality of the wine? Do you foist this kind of irrelevant poo poo onto e every bottle you drink?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Looks like wine got even older still: Earliest evidence of wine found in giant, 8,000-year-old jars

http://flip.it/LtGE_b

And it looks like the area around modern-day Georgia is still the cradle of viticulture.

Also, looks like some regrettable vindication for those filthy hipsters and their beloved Orange Wine.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crimson posted:

Absolutely. I've been using them since release in my restaurants, and they're invaluable for allowing me to pour high end wines without waste. I've had a few encounters with wines that obviously changed after extended time under argon gas, but for the most part the wines hold up extremely well for weeks or even months on end after being accessed.

This echoes my experience with them. Basically, if you think of a timer that starts when you first sink the needle into the cork that lasts about 14 days (on the conservative side) if you finish the bottle inside of that time frame, you should have no issues.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Stitecin posted:

I posted about this back in like 2013, but we trialed an early version of Coravin on some Chardonnay. We poured one glass out of 3 bottles using the Coravin and stored them with 3 "control" bottles for six months. In a blind tasting the winemaking team couldn't identify the Coravined bottles.

Worth noting, these bottles had the highest grade of cork available from the supplier, were sampled with a brand new Coravin with a fresh needle and full gas cylinder, and were stored in ideal conditions.

The problem here is that the bottles weren't handled during the storage period. Or at least that's what I assume. I have tasted wines Coravined for a month that were travelling in reps' bag and you could totally detect the decay. If the bottles are not moved, I would assume there's nothing to cause the protective layer of gas to "unseal" from the top of the wine and allow it to drink in some O2.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Ola posted:

So a more reliable solution for bars and restaurants is an Enomatic machine, like this:

Home solution? Finish the bottle once opened, have shitloads more stored.

Those things are expensive as gently caress. I think in a bar / restaurant setting a Coravin is superior for reasons above and beyond cost. I am partnered in a wine bar currently that features keg wines sealed under nitrogen and I have to say I am very impressed with the results. Selection is still a bit of an issue, but it's light years ahead of where it was just a few years ago. There are a ton of domestic options and a rapidly growing pool of import options. The system itself is relatively economical, the wines are generally had cheaper per ounce in keg, and shipping and carbon costs are drastically lower.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I think that's the restaurant / wine bar answer, too. If you can't sell a 4 or 5 glasses of wine in a 2 week period, perhaps it's not the best idea to offer it out of the Coravin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

If Sauternes had a good vintage that year, I fail to see why any other recommendations would even be worthy of consideration outside of maybe vintage Port. Not to say anything about the quality, but for ageability, it's hard to beat Sauternes. I might even prefer it for that reason over Port because Port ages so glacially and at least with Sauternes it has several interesting new phases it gets to every half decade or so.