Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Hey, I'm trying to find a thread about making your own wine. I haven't found one, does such a thread exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Stitecin posted:

You may be in the right place, on what scale are you talking about making wine? Several of us make wine for a living, but in the last thread a few people asked some home winemaking questions and got rather technical answers.

Very small scale. This will be my first foray into winemaking, or anything of the sort. I know little to nothing. I live in Olympia, and there's luckily a decent culture of homebrewing, etc. I stopped by Rocky Top Homebrew, and the guy there - Larry, I think - was very friendly, but he said that winemaking wasn't his expertise. What I'd like to do is make a bunch of strawberry wine. I think. I've never had strawberry wine before, but I hear that it's very easy, and ends up tasting pretty drat good.
There's a kit that I'll be purchasing, as I mentioned, (third one here: http://rockytopbrew.com/StarterKits.htm) and I'm just wondering about the process, whether any of you have some helpful tips about things to do or to avoid. Just general info, I guess.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

4liters posted:

I dont think there is much juice in strawberries so you'll need a lot of them unless you're just adding them to sugar water. Other than that if you follow the instructions you should be sweet.

All of the recipes I've seen for strawberry wine so far call for sugar. Is it inherently better to stick with fruits that produce sufficient sugar naturally? I thought it would be good to have something that's a bit tart. Is this a bad idea that will end up mouth-puckeringly sour? I have been kind of set on creating a strawberry wine called My Bloody Valentine, with the album cover to Loveless as a label. I know it is lame, but I thought it might be a fun little thing to present to friends.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Honestly, I have no idea what it is that I'll be doing, exaclty. I guess we'll find out. I mean, you would have to mash the strawberries up, right? Like, you can't just place whole strawberries in there, I'd think. I don't think pureeing them, though.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Aw, man, that page is super-helpful! One of the things that is confusing to me is the variation in the amount of strawberries required. Also, Stitecin, that page requires me to become a member of the page - if this book is for free distribution, let me know and I'll find a download elsewhere. Thanks so much, you guys!