Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

therattle posted:

I don't like oaked wines, especially whites, so I avoid Chardonnay.

Plenty of unoaked and neutral barrel-aged Chardonnay out on the market right now. You are missing out on some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Christ, I never seem to like chardonnay that I try. I "get" pineau d'aunis better than chardonnay. And it's not just the oak.

I can understand the sentiment. Chardonnay is a grape that is either bad, mediocre, or amazing for me. There are very few that are merely good and I'd usually rather drink something else for the same amount of money.

That being said, there are few wines I love more than a really good white Burgundy or, say, a Cameron Clos Electrique Blanc.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Bleston Humenthal posted:

White Rose - Dragon's Bluff - North Valley Reserve
Bergstrom - Lancelloti
Shea - Block 7
St. Innocent - White rose vineyard
McKinley - Willamette Special Selection
Penner Ashe - Bella Vita
White Rose - 2008 Estate
White Rose - Dragon's Bluff - White Rose Vineyard Hand Select
White Rose - Dragon's Bluff - Dundee Hills
Crowley - Willamette
Pat Green - Ribbon Ridge

Some insight would be appreciated. Can I really hold these things for 10 years and have them improve, or at least not degrade?

2008 is a great vintage in Oregon, probably the best in the last 10 years or so. Most of what you have is mid to high-end stuff that will have no problem aging for 5 to 10 years. The Crowley and White Rose Estate are probably exceptions and should be opened in the next year or so. Most of the rest will be really good for about 5. 10+ years is possible, especially for stuff like the St. Innocent White Rose Vineyard (such a good wine).

I guess it depends on how much you like older wine. Personally, I like my Oregon Pinot on the younger side, but the more age-worthy ones can last a long time if they are well cared for. There was recently a vertical tasting of the Eyrie Reserve South Block Pinot Noir going back to the 70's and the wines are still good. Those are very structured wines, though. I've had some Eyrie Reserves from the 80's and 90's and, personally, I think they're more interesting than good when they get old, but I feel that way about almost all older wines.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Perfectly Cromulent talks about a Eyrie tasting he went to recently, user Subtlet was also at that and wrote an amazing write-up on it here: http://www.cellartracker.com/new/event.asp?iEvent=15174

Oh God, I wish I had been there. I know a few people who went and heard how amazing it was. Subtlet's notes are excellent.

The only exception for myself is the St. Innocent wine, I've had 12 year old wines from them (95 and 96 Freedom hill to be exact) that were completely dead, so personally I wouldn't hold those ones past 5 years OR just keep a close eye on cellartracker.

Well, in your tasting notes you say that the 1997 St. Innocent Brickhouse Vineyard Pinot still tasted youthful. This is kind of the problem I've had in recommending almost anything in Oregon past 10 years old. With a few exceptions, it seems like aging anything past that point is a total crap-shoot.

Currently drinking: 2004 Bodegas Torrederos Tinto Torrederos Ribera del Duero Reserva

So good. Blackberry, plum, a little vanillin from the oak with an herbaceous note and some dusty minerality on the finish. Bright, fresh, and lively where many (especially non-Spanish) tempranillos are clumsy and insipid. I'm always hesitant to open a tempranillo, but this is making me very happy.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Since Thanksgiving is next week do you winegoons have any recommendations for an obtainable $20-$40 Champagne/Sparkling wine that isn't VC or White Star?

Gosset?
Laurent-Perrier?
Bruno Michel?

I want to try something new.

https://www.klwines.com/content.asp?N=4294967275+24&Ne=3&Nr=OR(OutofStock%3AN%2CInventory+Location%3ASpecial+Order)&Ns=QtySoldLast30%7C1

I might just grab a Perrier-Jouët again since I had it last year and really liked it.

Perrier-Jouët is a good choice. I've also enjoyed the Charles Heidsieck, Henriot, and Billecart-Salmon (especially). The Billecart-Salmon in particular is a really good wine to have with food.

I would stay away from the inexpensive Gosset. The only time I had it, I thought it sucked.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

mmiller1127 posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a few bottles of wine to give as a gift. I know she purchases cases of $30/bottle La Crema Chardonnay as her standard bottle, sorry I don't know the specific year or location. Any recommendations for wines based off of this for $25-50 a bottle would be great. Thanks.

I'd suggest a white Burgundy. It'll have some of the oak and fullness that she likes, but also have more depth and acidity. Depending on where you live, you can often find some pretty high end bottles from slightly older vintages that are being blown out at great prices.

For example, she could be drinking this or this for the same price as her fat, oaky Cali Chardonnay.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

BastardAus posted:

Also, what is it about French Champagne? Every time, including a $45(AU) bottle I had yesterday, it tastes musty and old. Maybe the Croser sparkling I had as a younger man ruined it for me, but I hate Champagne now, give me a cold climate Australian or Spanish 'sparkling' anyday.

There's a good chance it is old and probably heat damaged from lack of proper shipping and storage. What were you drinking? Do you get much in your area aside from the overpriced, mass-market poo poo?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

4liters posted:

Dont drink Champagne. You can get tassie sparklings that are the equal of any French prestige cuvee for a fraction of the price. Try Arras, Heemskerk, Bay of Fires etc.

Do you mean don't drink Champagne generally, or don't drink Champagne in Australia?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

smn posted:

This is most interesting - I have lived by the 'white for fish, red for anything else' mantra until now. Thinking about it, a fatty salmon with black pepper seasoning sounds like a good match for a red.

There are tons of exceptions to this rule. So many exceptions, in fact, that it can hardly be called a rule. Aromatic, high-acid white wines are a great pairing with cured meats and other charcuterie. Riesling is a terrific pairing with fresh pork dishes, like a roasted pork loin. There are plenty of whites that pair well with chicken, too, and not just buttery chardonnay. A lighter red like the ones that idiotsavant suggested, a red Burgundy, or and Oregon Pinot Noir goes great with salmon.

Overwined posted:

As it turns out I am excited about 2010 Riesling as well. I am actually buying up some 2009s right now because they represent a great vintage and are being overshadowed by 2010s. I will buy and age some 2010s as well, though. I'm trying to exercise some restraint and let some good Rieslings age awhile because I love the flavor aged Riesling.

Putting in a big order for 2010 German Riesling at a local wine shop tonight. I just wish there was more of it. It's going to be gone from the market very quickly.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Tekne posted:

New wine drinker here. Recently had a 2009 Pascual Toso Malbec that both smelled and tasted very strongly of violets, but didn't overpower the other elements of the wine. That was my first "wow, this is good" experience with grape juice. Do you guys have any suggestions for bottles in the ten to twenty dollar range with distinct notes that are still pleasant to drink? I like both red and white.

Are distinct notes a requirement? In other words, are you trying to learn more about picking out different flavors in a wine, or just drink some new and interesting stuff?

I'd recommend a Cru Beaujolais. They'll run you about $15-20, but many of them drink way above their price points. Domaine Du Vissoux Cuvee Traditionnelle is a good example. Their Vieille Vignes (old vine) Beaujolais is even better and is also under $20, I believe. Most Beaujolais will have a floral character akin to violets or roses, bright red berry fruit characteristics, and sometimes a pronounced mineral quality.

There's quality German Riesling for under $20. Idiotsavant's recommendations are always good, especially the Muscadet. There are so many ways you could go here. Where do you live? Do you have access to a quality wine shop? Developing a relationship with a wine merchant and getting to know the local wine geeks are two of the best ways to get into wine.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

paradigmblue posted:

I have a quick question. I'm putting on a tasting in a couple of days focusing on white wines from Germany, Austria and Hungary, and haven't had a chance to taste some of the selections. I would like to order the tasting from dry to sweet. Here is the order I had placed them in, any advice would be appreciated.

Royal Tokaji Fumint
SA Prum QbA Blue Fish Dry Riesling
SA Prum Wehlner Sonnenuhr Kabinett
SA Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese
Wolfgang Concerto Gruner Veltliner
Laurenz V Gruner Veltliner Laurnenz und Sophie Singing
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

You sure the Gruners aren't dry? I would think that they would go right after your dry Riesling.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Some Portland wine goons got together for a blind sparkling wine tasting recently at Mattdev's place. Overall it was a fun tasting and very surpising to see a bottle of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut sparkling wine place so highly in scoring amongst the crowd, I love blind tastings and how it levels the playing field. These are my notes:

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=17337

The Gloria Ferrer was surprising for one of two reasons, depending on who you were. Either you were surprised that the $15 domestic bubbly was so good, or you were baffled that anyone would score such a simple, flabby wine so highly. I was in the second camp. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't find anything to like about it. Definitely the most polarizing wine we drank.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Crimson posted:

I did! Manager/Sommelier at L'Atelier! Had my first night tonight, seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. "I am protected" gets 50% off wine! Ok not really, but do we have any Vegas wine goons?

L'Atelier is a terrific restaurant. Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, do you have control over the wine list?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

Never thought I'd find myself posting in the drat wine thread, as historically I've hated the stuff.

However, that being said, my brother and I took my mother out to a really nice restaurant for Mother's Day, and I found that the bottle of wine we had was REALLY good. I mean, I was startled as to how tasty it was.

Now this was a near 100 dollar bottle of wine (Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc 2008 vintage) but I'm was curious to find out if it possible to get the same flavors for hopefully less money :)

Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc is about $30 retail. You sure you don't mean Cakebread Cabernet Sauvignon? The Cabernet is around $60 retail which would make the $100 you paid at the restaurant more reasonable. If they charged you $100 for the Sauvignon Blanc, you got ripped off.

What was it that you liked about the wine? That'll help us give you an idea of what you might want to try.

Based on what little you've told us, I'd recommend a Bordeaux Blanc. They are blends of mostly Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon. $20 should get you a good one from a decent wine shop.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Crimson posted:

Wow a fine dining restaurant would be losing money on those bottle sales. The costs involved in employing a sommelier(s), storing and maintaining a temperature controlled cellar, and renting the physical space of a cellar or warehouse all add up to a lot more than the retail markup.

It's a miracle that wine retailers are able to remain in business.

Wicaeed posted:

Ah, you are correct, it was the Cakebread Cabernet Sauvignon.

I'm not sure what part I really liked most. Usually when I drink a red wine it leaves a strange taste for a few seconds after I breathe in after a sip, with this wine that didn't happen and it let me enjoy the flavors much much more than on a cheaper red.

How cheap do you usually go when drinking a bottle of wine? Are you buying from a wine shop, or at a grocery store?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Absolut_V posted:

I drink a lot of wine and I drink a fair amount at restaurants. I am familiar with wine prices generally and ok with markups but I was having dinner at the French Laundry on Wednesday and the wine markup was insane. Is this just a matter of "we know you have it so we are going to charge you" or is there such a greater expense in keeping a large cellar and a sommellier on staff for 16 tables that justifies the prices?

Crimson posted:

Their markup is a little high, I'd say about 3.5-4x cost. Most places do 3x these days.

The French Laundry's markups are absurdly high, far more than 3.5-4x. For example, the 2010 Dönnhoff Riesling (QbA) retails for around $20, but is $95 at the restaurant. That's a 4.75x markup over retail and probably around 6-7x cost. That is in no way an exceptional markup on their list.

If you are going to The French Laundry, you are a captive audience. They are one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, restaurants in the country. There is no option to go elsewhere for a similar food experience. They charge their huge markups because they can; it will not reduce the number of reservations they get nor will it prevent people from buying wine.

Wine is a HUGE money maker for them. If you don't think so, consider what is a more attractive business proposition: charging $500 for a bottle of 1er Cru Burgundy that you bought for $80 and had to store, provide glassware for, pour table-side, and devote a single employee to; or charging $270 for an entire labor-intensive prix fixe meal that requires a team of cooks and the restaurant's own farmer to produce.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I just want to be clear that I am not saying that restaurants don't often have significant costs associated with their wine programs. What I AM trying to say is that 3x-4x+ cost markups are certainly making good money for most restaurants.

Back to more directly wine related things, I never thought I'd say this, but the two best QPR wines I've had recently have been Champagnes. Not just Champagne, but vintage Champagne: 2004 José Michel Special Club Brut and 2002 Marc Chauvet Special Club Brut. Both usually sell for a little under $70/bottle, but I managed to grab them for under $60. Not cheap, but they would easily stack up to Champagnes that cost twice the price, IMO. The Jose Michel is the richer, more decadent of the two while the Chauvet is racy, bright, and focused. Both are delicious and tremendously complex.

Edit: forgot to mention that these are heavy on the Chardonnay. 50% Chard/50% Pinot Meunier in the José Michel and 70% Chard/30% Pinot Noir in the Chauvet.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 24, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

...and this movement if we can call it that is all about the joyous celebration of difference.

This notion goes right out the window the first time you read an article by Alice Feiring. There are many in the "natural wine movement" who are as much about vilifying certain types of wine (and wine-making) and having theological discussions about what constitutes a "natural wine" as they are about joyously celebrating anything. I really enjoy a lot of the wines coming out of this movement, from the more weird and extreme end, like Radikon, to the more conventional wines made with biodynamic farming practices and "minimal intervention". It's too bad that a lot of the people associated with this stuff are zealots and nutters.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Overwined posted:

I don't know, but if I were making an "American Only" BTG wine list, all but one or two of the whites would be from Oregon and in cool vintages.

Can't believe no one in this thread mentioned Teutonic Wine Company yet. They make some of the most distinctive new world Rieslings, IMO. Brooks also makes terrific Riesling. Cameron, Crowley, and Eyrie are making great Chardonnay. Tyson Crowley might be making some of the best QPR Chard in America right now.

I also really like Edmunds St. John for Rhone blends and Gamay Noir.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Overwined posted:

No love for Cameron reds?

The first time I tasted a Cameron Pinot Noir it was a revelation.

EDIT: I guess it'd be REALLY hard to get one of their Pinots in the $9 a glass category.

Love Cameron Pinot Noir. Arley's Leap is consistently one of my favorite mid-price Pinots in Oregon. Sells for $35 - $40. Abbey Ridge and Clos Electrique are great and have the structure to age if you are willing to shell out $60.

Speaking of Cameron and restaurant pours, they sell the Giovanni white blend (Pinot Blanc/Pinot Gris) in bag in box containers for restaurants, I believe. It would be a solid glass pour choice.

What's the rule of thumb for determining the cost for a glass pour?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Crimson posted:

Speaking simply, the cost of the bottle = cost of a glass. It varies slightly but it's a really common rule of thumb.

Yikes. So glass markup is about 5x.

Thanks.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Stitecin posted:

Aleworks isn't far from Russian River. It's also not great, but neither is Bear Republic and you went there.

:catstare:

Lots of Zinfandel in dry creek, and I'm not really a fan to begin with.

Remind me to open a bottle of Zin from Hillcrest in the Umpqua Valley sometime. It's 13% ABV and tastes kind of like Barbera. Weird.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Word. Bring that poo poo to Karl's place on the 15th.

I drank it all. Won't be able to get more in time. :smith:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I guess you'll have to bring some Champagne to make up for it. :nyd:

Champagne and brisket, together at last.

Fake edit: too bad I'll be in Seattle that weekend. :c00lbutt:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

kirtar posted:

I figured that was probably the answer I was going to get. Not that it's a bad thing to hear.

It's the right answer, but most wine newbies don't know how to go about drinking a ton of wines beyond spending a bunch of money picking random bottles.

Here are a couple of tips:

1) Unless you know exactly what you are looking for, grocery stores are generally bad places to shop for wine. There are exceptions to this rule, of course. I have friends who swear by certain wine buyers at specific grocery chain locations. But it's a good rule of thumb. Transportation and storage are spotty and you aren't likely to get much personal attention from the staff.

2) Wine shop tastings are your best bet for drinking lots of interesting wines. Find good wine shops in your area. Most of them will have a tasting or two every week. Usually, you will be able to try several high quality wines per session for $0 - $10 depending on the shop and what they are pouring. These are often themed, so you will get to taste several similar things side by side and learn a bit about the theme.

3) Develop relationships with wine people. When you go to those wine shops for tastings, ask questions. Get a recommendations on wines you might enjoy based on things you've liked in the past. Getting friends involved will make it more fun and allow you to drink more wine. A 750mL bottle is a lot of wine for one person to drink. If you get friends together, you can buy better wine (by spreading the cost out a bit), drink socially, and have a more manageable amount to drink.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

kirtar posted:

Is it common or normal for red wine to cause your tongue to turn a fairly dark color? I don't know that I'd characterize it as black, but it's hard to tell what hue it actually is. From what I can find on google it seems to be that some things will while others won't, but is it the exception or is it typical, and is there any good way to guess if a wine will do so before trying it?

Certain wine pigments become more purple at higher pH levels. When those pigments move from the low pH environment of the wine to the relatively high pH of your mouth, they can color your mouth purple. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe these are anthocyanins. Generally speaking, big, tannic, highly-extracted wines will be more likely to stain your mouth.

Is this really a problem for you? I'm kind of pleased at having a purple/black tongue after drinking wine.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Stitecin posted:

Dear SA Wine Sophisticates,

Last March, after four vintages in the cellar, I was promoted to Assistant Winemaker. I haven't mentioned it because A: I don't make Oregon Pinot so none of you care & B: Well, mostly A.

-Stitecin

Congratulations! Where do you make wine?

We care about more than Oregon Pinot. Riesling and Champagne are very important to us read: me too.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm going to my cousin's tomorrow for thanksgiving tomorrow and wanted to get some nice bottles of wine. What would be some good compliments for typical thanksgiving food? She's a bit of a... snob I suppose, so I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to make sure it's a nice wine.

Cru Beaujolais. It's delicious, it's good with a variety of foods, it pleases wine nerds and grandmas alike, AND it's inexpensive. You can get a really solid bottle of Cru Beaujolais for $20.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

This, this, this. loving everybody says Pinot noir, but everyone goes and gets CA Pinot, which has turned into lovely massive fruit bombs for the most part. Beaujolais is generally much lighter and graceful, and you can get awesome, affordable stuff as well.

People think they can get good Pinot Noir for $20. Mostly, you can't. Yeah, I know that there are some wine nerds here (including me) who could probably name some obscure Pinot Noir that drinks well for $20. I love Pinot Noir, but it is one of the worst values in wine.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

You can get phenomenal Pinot from menetou salon for under 20!!

You can also get terrible Pinot from Menatou Salon for under $20. That's why I won't make a general recommendation for wines from a semi-obscure appellation for Thanksgiving.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

What did everybody have to drink over Christmas?

Drank a lot of Champagne and Chateauneuf du Pape blanc this weekend. Standouts were the Vouette et Sorbee Blanc d'Argile and the 2001 Clos des Brusquieres Blanc (I think that was the producer) that we had with broiled lobster tail. Also had an excellent 2006 Clos des Papes blanc and and a Marc Chauvet Rose Champagne which was good.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

What are you guys planning on drinking for New Years? I'm thinking some Pierre Peters NV BdB Champagne.

2004 Camille Saves and probably some NV Bruno Gobillard Rose. There will be more, I'm sure, but those are the two I'm really looking forward to.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

that Vai sound posted:

I'm looking to buy a really good bottle of red wine to celebrate the end of a project, and I could use some guidance on what to look for. I'm interested in something to drink on its own, which is a little different for me because I normally drink wine with food. I guess what I'm afraid of is eating food that clashes with the taste or mutes my palate. I'm looking for something with delicate flavors but noticeable quality. I'm thinking of spending around $100, but I'm not sure what price points there are for wine quality. I'm much more experienced with beer in that way.

I'm thinking something French or Californian, but being from Washington I may find better deals on state wines. I'm not sure what style though. French wine regions I know nothing about, and I'm mainly used to American cabs, which might be more aggressive than I'm looking for.

As for my experience with wine, I enjoy anything from pinot noir to syrah, and it can be from around the world. I feel like I have pretty good understanding of wine's characteristics and knowing what's good quality.

Have you considered Spain? For $100, you can get some good stuff from Vega Sicilia, Muga, or something from Priorat.

BTW, when you say that American Cab is too aggressive, how do you mean that? Too much tannin? Oak? Alcohol? Sugar? Too extracted?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey wine folks (Vingoons?)! I was given some wine for Christmas (Most pretty good from what I've tried) and have started a rule that until my wine rack is full for every bottle I drink I will replace it, plus one. The extra being cheap, expensive, white, red, whatever. So my question is if anyone has recommendations of good wines available from Dan Murphy's or Vintage Cellars. Preferably twenty bucks or under (I like cheap table wine and save the pricier stuff for special events). If there's any that are good for slightly more then I can stretch my budget.

As for what I like! Whites I like either dry and acidic or fruity and sweet (Pinot gris and Moscato, being popular choices respectively) and reds are nice and full, with strong dark fruit or spices (Such as a hearty Australian Shiraz or a fruity Pinot Noir or spicy Merlot). If you want more information I can try and conjure up some words. I like wine but I'm still a bit of a novice :shobon:

Chablis:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_711934/simonnet-febvre-chablis
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_347387/simonnet-febvre-petit-chablis

Vouvray:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_913575/marc-br-dif-vouvray
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_382893/bourillon-dorl-ans-la-coul-e-d-argent-vouvray

German Riesling:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_347988/schloss-vollrads-qba-riesling

Cotes du Rhone:
https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/vce2e/Product/6100573/Saint-Cosme-Cotes-du-Rhone-2011/

Monstrell:
https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/vce2e/Product/8769830/Comoloco-Monstrell-2010/

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Jubs posted:

I came across this unopened bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1950 at my Grandparents house:

Is it worth anything? Did it most likely turn into expensive vinegar? I have to think air would have gotten into it at some point.

:stare:

Well... it could be worth $2K if it was stored properly. No joke.

Where was it stored? Are there signs that any wine has leaked from the bottle? What's the fill level?

Edit: This is a hell of a thing to just come across. Are your grandparents wine drinkers?

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 16, 2013

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Exergy posted:

Gurus, could you recommend sweet wines for my wife? She is a big fan of Port, likes Ice wine and recently has discovered Sauternes, which so far is her favorite. Anything of the same nature, worth trying?

Has she tried German Riesling? A good Spatlese or Auslese should be plenty sweet for her, but be balanced by enough acidity to drink with dinner rather than dessert.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

PST posted:

You could also try a decent Gewurztraminer as well. I find it best as a summer evening bottle, but it's a little sweeter than a Riesling.

Gewurztraminer is not necessarily more or less sweet than Riesling. It depends on the wine. There are sweet and dry Gewurztraminers and Rieslings.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Here is me getting a grower Champagne facial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutJQrl8uuM

I wish I was able to embed the Facebook video of Eco RI giving you the Diebolt-Vallois facial the first time we met.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Several people in this thread (myself included) store their wine at Willamette Wine Storage. There is at least one other major wine storage facility here in Portland, too. I can't imagine going back to trying to store it all at home. Part of that is the fact that I'm now up to several hundred bottles, but even when I only had a few cases it was less stressful for me to know that they were being well stored and not having to deal the space constraints in a city apartment. Plus we get to use their tasting room, hang out with other interesting wine people, have them install custom racking, and ship and receive wine on our behalf.

I just bought a house with a ton of extra space in the basement and I still plan to keep my storage locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

The Proper Gander posted:

You need to be less huffy about the way you look at wine.

Is this directed at someone in particular or just the whole thread?