Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Biomute posted:

If I wanted to get a book on wine, what should I get? The main contenders seem to be: The Oxford Companion to Wine, The World Atlas of Wine and The Wine Bible.

Does anyone have any experience with these books? I like reading about stuff, but in the digital age can these books compete with the likes of wine-searcher/wine-folly etc?

I’m self-studying for my level 1 CMS (any tips appreciated!!!!) and so far my books are

- wine bible- Karen MacNeil is super knowledgeable but can be hard to extract info quickly bc it’s a little more narrative and she’s sneakily opinionated lol. Lots of info about the history of a region, poo poo like how sherry is made, producers to look for, etc.
- windows on the world - CHARTS!! I think it’s a little quicker to find reference info in here but there’s not as much color. I usually read this and wine bible together
- world atlas - dope and I like maps and once you start studying more it makes a big difference to know the geography of where a thing comes from so it’s a good thing to have on hand
- wine folly - pretty charts but I find her online material a little more thorough than the book. It’s nice for showing my friends who are a little newer to wine or if I need a grid of things I should be “expecting” to taste or smell

I also read a TON of free articles from wine publications but it can be hit or miss if they have the level of detail I’m looking for. Also, many top regions (Spain in particular is amazing at this) have websites where they explain their methods or terroir or have links to the wine maker’s websites to dig up technical notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I mean you could probably pair an older Sauternes with the lobster, brill, AND that apple pie if you don't want to open more than one white.

Also, the CMS finally posted intro exam dates for Chicago and it's in SIX WEEKS. I literally just started studying and I don't know how much I can realistically cram before then??

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Kalenden posted:

To clarify, I would like a single white wine to go with both the scallops and the brill. In that sense - what would be the best match?

Maybe a nice Chablis?

The “cappuccino” was confusing until I saw the pics; I thought you were having chicory coffee with fish which sounded legit gross but it’s just a chicory foam.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just drank a cool biodynamic wine from Piedmont. 100% Cortese (this but 2014)

Super weird and barnyardy, tiny bit of cleaning-liquid lemony ness on the nose. Tastes like a cider- bright acidity, crisp apples. Idk if I could crush a bottle by myself but it was pretty fun.

Also I generally don’t like Italian wines that much so a nice surprise!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

You can also find diamond creek with age for a little less... or buy a magnum for the same price as an opus one.

At this point during lockdown I’ve drank through most of my cheap stash (my wine storage place is non essential lol) and now I’m busting out the mid tier stuff. Had a very pretty vouvray by Pinon last night

https://www.cellartracker.com/w?3110799

I think you can still find it for $30 in some markets

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

obi_ant posted:

I really like Olivier Leflaive's cheapest offering if you're looking to pick up another bottle.
+1 to this. Great value! I also like the Benjamin Leroux around the same price point. If you want to go a few bucks cheaper, Goulley Chablis.

Also heads up, Matthiasson Wines is having a sale: 6-11 bottles 15% off, 12+ bottle orders 20% off and both with free shipping.

(obviously I got a case of rose)

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Idk of any of y’all follow court drama but Richard Betts (MS) just resigned from CMSA: https://medium.com/@yobetts/my-resignation-from-the-court-of-master-sommeliers-americas-90bbfc8f815d

And so the court just released a very milquetoast statement that all the board members are taking implicit bias training and establishing a “diversity committee”, but doesn’t say who is on it.

I’m glad they’re acknowledging the problem, but I don’t have high hopes for the organization to change. They’re (imo) part of WHY the wine world continues to be overwhelmingly rich straight white old dudes. Also their handling of the MS exam in 2018 was a complete shitshow.

Anyway I drank some 2014 Ridge Lytton Estate Syrah last night bc it’s grilling season and it’s tasty as gently caress.

Pyf syrahs/Shiraz

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

For whatever reason, that rose is super hard to come by in Chicago (the retailers here only got something like 2 cases?) I barely snagged one that was hidden away in the fancy wine cave next to the $$$ Bordeaux.

Anyway imo the best thing with rose is charcuterie so for this one eat a lot of jamon!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I know a lot of people talk about blinds as more of a parlor trick, but I like blind tastings because it’s a good way to stay fresh. While I do think a lot of identification is experience with different grapes, you could also puzzle it out even if you’ve never had an example from a region... if your theory is good enough 😅

I’ve hosted some non-wine friends through some education followed by blinds and they’re pretty good by the end of the night. Most of them get the typical tasting notes ‘right’ they just might not remember which grape goes with which flavors.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

hoooo boy: https://twitter.com/nytfood/status/1321870982383050752

I mean I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was THIS bad (I stopped before advanced). What a year for the CMS. Should they just burn it all to the ground? How do you even reform the court?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Woofer posted:

Hi goons.

I have been given the responsibility of choosing a wine for dinner tonight. I have never done this before and I don’t know anything about wine.

I am making meat lasagna and garlic bread. I was told to pair it with a Tuscany red, but you might as well tell me to get sandblasted milk water. It makes no sense, is what I’m saying.

How do I pick a wine at the store? It takes me an hour to pick something on Netflix. The wine aisle will be like that, except practically in a foreign language.

Thanks for the help!

E: to show how ignorant I am, after posting this I was told that there are stores just for wine. I didn’t know there were wine stores separate from liquor stores. I was told to call and talk to someone at the store so I’m going to do that. But I’m still looking for any tips for a complete beginner!

Hah this is probably too late for dinner tonight but generally, “grown together goes together”. So Italian isn’t a bad call... but you can really go for anything red and darker with meat and garlic.

If you’re looking for quality of wine, the more specific the label is about where it’s grown generally the wine is better. Ex: “California red” < “Napa Valley” < “Howell Mountain”.

If you’re at a store, Vivino is a GREAT app for newbies- just scan the wine label and it’ll show you reviews and tasting notes :)

If you want a book, good beginner ones are Wine Folly (pretty diagrams!) and The Wine Bible (more narrative, detailed). If you want a book to just tell you what to do, get What to Drink with What You Eat.

Also, honestly at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how fancy your wine is or how good your pairing is as long as you’re enjoying the wine. Think of it more as an exploration as opposed to “getting it right”. It’s only five glasses after all and you can always make sangria if you hate it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

What’s everyone’s go-to champagne anyway? I’m a sucker for Gimmonet Special Club. Reasonable price point but refined enough to stand up to some of the big houses.

My bargain favorite is Etienne Doue ($30 in chicago).

I’m also on the hunt for 100% Pinot Meunier just cause I want to know if it’s noticeably different. I think egly makes one but I haven’t found it while casually shopping.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Peter Liem Champagne book/box set came with multiple really beautiful maps of champagne regions. The book is also an incredible reference if you like champagne. I can’t decide which region is my favorite yet (bouzy?vandieres?) so I haven’t framed one but it’s on the to do list...

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We just got wrecked at blinds. Three wines, all the same grape and we guessed 3 pinot gris (Italy, some rando new world spot, and Alsace) but it was... 3 chenins (South Africa- 2019 Rustenberg, central coast - 2018 Field Recordings, and 2019 Champalau Vouvray). asdlkajs

How do you tell the difference between the two when you go for blinds?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys the Trader Joe's $15 chablis is LEGIT good for the price point - jean marc brocard - and it will get you schlittered (14.5%)

Other things we blinded recently (we're studying for WSET 3):

2013 Cavalier Bartolomeo Altenasso Barolo - I thought it was a sangiovese and my friend thought it was a tempranillo... but the tannins here should have brought us to barolo. Super mulchy, red cherries, leather.

2017 Fina Villarcreces Pruno (Ribera del Duero - 90% Tempranillo, 10% Cab Sauv) - We hugely missed on this (we couldn't ID it at all so guessed a region none of us have drank much of - Chile cab sauv). It's crazy salty and vegetal on the palate with fruit coming second so we never even considered tempranillo at all.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

got off on a technicality posted:

Loving chablis these days. With the recent string of ripe vintages it's been easy to find stuff that non-wine geek friends and family will like. Fevre and Louis Michel have been go tos. Anyone have other producer recs

I love love love Chablis. Piuze is my fav (he also has a second label called Val de Mer that sometimes releases cremants which are fun). A few years back I did a tasting of all the grand cru climats and it was SO cool. Everyone is crazy for Les Clos but I’m a Vaudesir girl myself... try Piuze, Drouin, Moreau.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crazy difficult blinds tonight:

We were all over the place. Some chenin guesses from my friends too. I personally didn’t think so for any of them, but I don’t know how to explain chenin vs French chard…

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for some good Merlot produced in California? I noticed that I seem to enjoy California Bordeaux blends with a higher Merlot percentage, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Price point? And are you open to all Merlot and/or Bordeaux blends from anywhere or just Cali?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crimson posted:

Don't let them shame your wine picks if they're bringing natty juice with a kid's crayon drawing on the front.

My favorite comic sans label is

The bear is SPARKLY like a sticker from the 90s. Also for $20 it’s a pretty darn good Syrah!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Rev posted:

Any idea if shipping is no big deal, or best not to risk it? I won't be gifting the bottle(s) until September, so there's no rush on my end.
Any real wine merchant or producer will ship wine securely packaged. I've never had a bottle break on me in shipment.

FYI typically shipping cost doesn't change until you go over half a case so you'll get your money's worth if you get 6 btls or so of whatever. A lot of places will also give you a nice discount if you get a full case. Buy some wine for yourself :)

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Going to a Cambodian byo spot on Friday - what should we bring? 4 bottles max.

(There's no menu all I have is an instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/hermosachicago)

Probably at least one riesling? A syrah for lok lak? I've also been looking for an excuse to open some nice champagne I have...

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys I’m drinking the Kirkland Chablis and it’s…… not bad? I wouldn’t say it’s premier cru quality (despite the label lol) as it doesn’t have the zip and steely minerality I expect from really great Chablis.

Not bad though? Am I going soft?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Crimson posted:

Keep in mind 1er Cru and grand cru vineyards tend to be the warmer sites, meaning they get richer and more full bodied. They're also more frequently subjected to oak instead of stainless, which will add roundness and curb some of the citrus freshness, even if the barrels are well used. For steely, mineral chablis, pick up regular AOC Chablis.

You might know the above info, just throwing that out there. Some of the top Chablis producers from top sites can disappoint people looking for that citrus/mineral/seashell thing. Raveneau and Dauvissat, for example, can be quite creamy and rich compared to baseline Chablis. It's tough to say what's "classic" Chablis when the bottom and top ends taste so different. That's all a long way of me saying, drat Kirkland makes a 1er Cru Chablis for 20 American dollars?! I'm in, thank you! Gonna nab a bottle.

I didn’t know that the premier cru typically sees oak! (I’m piuze all the way) They bottled the Kirkland one entirely in stainless, but I think you’re right that they used pretty ripe grapes.

Costco also has Juan Gil on super sale which is my go-to buy by the case party wine for my non wine friends (or for my wine friends after we’ve opened all the good stuff).

Also not a terrible price on the Cos

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ooh fun tasting idea. This would be my $30-40 tasting lineup:

Carneros: Frank Family
Sonoma: Anthill
WM Valley: Patty Green
Central Coast: Calera? Chanin? idk I admittedly don't know much or drink much from this AVA.

Bonus pinot bottle I'd also open because it's delightful:

Enderle & Moll Spatburgunder (Baden)

And then break the budget with:
- Paillard Blanc de Noirs (Bouzy, the best name for any wine region)
- Bouchard roses de Jeane (Aube)

I know Selosse has a 100% PN champagne but it's like $$$$$$ so I've never had it...

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just went to a champagne tasting! A lot of growers and no so many big negotiants featured. Highlights of the night:

- charpentier “terre d’emotion” extra brut - fantastic on its own but has enough structure and acid to hold up to charcuterie or other fatty spreads. Kickass for $60

- mousse files “les fortes terres” special club ($105)- I think it’s the only 100% meunier special club. Rich w lots of mallo, beautiful floral nose, great saline structure.

- solemme “esprit de solemme” premier cru ($68) - never heard of this producer before and was very impressed- pretty light toast, light apple champs. Friendly for newbies with enough complexity for my wine nerd friends.

- I picked up a magnum of genet mg bb 2015 for $90 which is an absolute steal- green apple, high acid, punchy laser champagne. Like a more wallet friendly vilmart.

I’m obviously partial to meunier heavy blends but I do like my blanc de blancs too. Post yr fav bubbles! It’s that time of year…

taco show fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 1, 2022

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I think Spielgelau is a good dupe of Zaltos but they are DEFINITELY hand wash.

When I was in London earlier this year a lot of the wine bars I went to were serving in Stolzle or Chef & Sommelier. Not as thin as Zaltos or Riedels but you could definitely dishwasher them and they had pretty shapes.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

thotsky posted:

What? Spiegelau built their business on being machine washable.
I’ve definitely broken a few in my dishwasher but it’s their ‘high line’ collection or something like that. I only have three left :(

Anyway, some friends and I are planning a wine trip to Champagne and Alsace. Any must see/must try? We are probably going to stay in Reims but Epernay has more of the big houses?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Carillon posted:

We ended up with a hole in our trip to Sonoma due to a friend not checking if the winery was closed this week. Any ideas for places to check out? We're staying by the square but do have transport. So prioritizing walking but not in any way essential.

Downtown Sonoma:
Bedrock!! Quality wines for killer prices. I particularly like their syrah but they also make a very good rose. There's also a pretty cool champagne bar called Sigh.

Not walking:
J Vineyards is really beautiful and a fun tasting (good sparklers). Ridge if you're into zins. They have a nice patio seating area, but if it's chilly the interior is nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

CMS is removing the terminology "Old World" and "New World" from their tasting grids and exams starting in 2024. My understanding from a brief skim is that they're not replacing it at all, but putting more emphasis on what is "classic" for a region/varietal. (New tasting grid) I wish I was in the room for these debates; I'm sure a bunch of old people are spitting mad rn lol.

I think this could enable more "serious" study of cool/weird wines that have been ignored in the past. Also I feel like, recently, there's been more mid to high end American winemakers that are openly striving for more French-style production (read: restrain their oak usage lol). Not a lot you can do about the terrior, so I think changing the way we think about describing the harvest/production style is more interesting anyway? Plus with all these natty producers throwing wrenches everywhere we need to come up with better and more nuanced terminology.