Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
So I'll admit I was pretty drat clueless about wine except that I knew I didn't like merlot (Or rather, it doesn't like me. Instant headache.) Then I moved in with two guys who really, really like wine. Like, they collect the poo poo, and they're members of wineries and stuff. I've tried a lot of wine since then, and I've found a few I like, mostly whites and roses.

But I gotta admit, my favorite wine so far is the stuff at the Olive Garden. It's called Roscato, aka Rosso Dolce, but damnit, it's expensive. There's online stores that'll ship, but the cost of shipping puts it to the point where I may as well just go to OG. I tried to find another Rosso Dolce, and TJ's had one, but it was absolute swill.

So, wine goons, what can I find that's kind of like that Roscato? Because in my state, the OG's liquor license requires them to open the loving bottle and serve a glass before they let you take it home, and I don't want to drive around tipsy with an open container. Nor do I want to waste any. >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

I've seen some Lambruscos around here, mainly on the "wtf, we don't know, but it's cheap" shelf at Fred's. Something called "Riunite."

I'll keep a lookout for the Creme de Cassis, thanks!

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

pork never goes bad posted:

I'm not sure if I should comment on dude who joined the same day he made his first post only to ask about sweet fizzy red from Olive Garden other than to say don't buy Riunite. I mean, gently caress me. I suppose if I'm not being a judgmental prick, I'd point to Ruby Port as a potential option. It has the advantage of staying in pretty good shape if you open it and have a single glass, and having lots of characteristics that are common with other high quality wines. The Oncoming Storm - perhaps look for Grahams Six Grapes Port as it is relatively inexpensive and very good for the price. As Benito suggested, Creme de Cassis and inexpensive bubbly is also a good idea.

Welp, I never said I was anything but a noob (both in forums and in wine.) I don't have deep pockets, so I'm looking for the best of what's available to me. I've had 5 dollar bottles that outshone 17 dollar bottles, y'know? But I can't help that OG managed to stock a wine that didn't suck (for once.) I've had a lot of trouble with reds in the past so to find a red that sat well was quite a pleasant surprise. I'm going to keep my eye out for the Lambruscos, and when I finish this bottle of Tawny Port I've got, I'll likely grab that Six Grapes Port.

Tonight it's a rose from Sokol Blosser. Pretty tasty. Not too dry, just a little bit sweet.