Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

New wine drinker here. Recently had a 2009 Pascual Toso Malbec that both smelled and tasted very strongly of violets, but didn't overpower the other elements of the wine. That was my first "wow, this is good" experience with grape juice. Do you guys have any suggestions for bottles in the ten to twenty dollar range with distinct notes that are still pleasant to drink? I like both red and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Are distinct notes a requirement? In other words, are you trying to learn more about picking out different flavors in a wine, or just drink some new and interesting stuff?

I'd recommend a Cru Beaujolais. They'll run you about $15-20, but many of them drink way above their price points. Domaine Du Vissoux Cuvee Traditionnelle is a good example. Their Vieille Vignes (old vine) Beaujolais is even better and is also under $20, I believe. Most Beaujolais will have a floral character akin to violets or roses, bright red berry fruit characteristics, and sometimes a pronounced mineral quality.

There's quality German Riesling for under $20. Idiotsavant's recommendations are always good, especially the Muscadet. There are so many ways you could go here. Where do you live? Do you have access to a quality wine shop? Developing a relationship with a wine merchant and getting to know the local wine geeks are two of the best ways to get into wine.
They're not a requirement, but I like when you can immediately identify something familiar out of the typical wine taste. As for your criteria, both are things I'm interested in, and we can lower the price bar as well. I'm guessing there are good, if hard to find, wines there too.

I'll look for the suggested bottles when I go on my next wine run. They shouldn't be hard to track down here in CA's Bay Area. The local chain stores tend to have pretty extensive selections, as far as I can tell, but finding an actual wine shop is a good idea.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Purchased a '09 Dom des Hautes Noelle Muscadet today at BevMo!. I'll try it with some seafood later this week. Looking forward to that promised minerality.

After a bit of searching, Prima Vini is the only wine store that's reasonably close to me. Here's a link to their site: http://www.wineaccess.com/store/primavini/wineries.html Are any of the reds in the lower price range worth giving a try?