Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don't try to act like I know a thing about wines, but I've been really in to Cabernet Sauvignon lately.

However yesterday I opened some bottle and it tasted a bit too boozy. I had a glass and corked it with one of vino save things. Today I had a glass and it tasted much better and less boozy.

So my question is, is that one of the reasons to decant? Also do these things that you hook up to the wine bottle that supposedly decant as you pour actually work/ worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So it sounds like the spouts are worth it as it does what decanting does, but quicker?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, at the risk of catching poo poo for this, I have to ask.

I like a lot of different wine...mostly cabernet sauvignon. However, I don't like buying a bottle and having to drink the whole thing in two days...I'll usually have a glass with dinner or at night watching tv and that's it.

So, I've heard of this black box wine...it's $20 at my local liquor store for a box that is equal to something like 3 or 4 bottles, and the ratings seem pretty decent, decent enough to try it once for sure, at least, since I'm usually dropping at least 12 bucks on one bottle. Also, from googling it says it can last for up to a month or longer, is that true?

Any recommendations, advice?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some help.

I had this wine at dinner a few weeks ago, which I really loved:

domaine des soulane jean pull 2012

I can find it online, but apparently you can't ship to Massachusetts, so no luck there. I went to a local wine store and they recommended this:

Hecht & Bannier cotes du roussillon villages 2010

It was pretty good, but not as good as the first one.

I know nothing about wine, but from what I can tell these are both grenache blends.

So, since I can't get this shipped straight to my house...any widely available options anyone can suggest? Really prefer $10/bottle pricepoint, but for something great I'll do up to $20/bottle.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Overwined posted:

Cotes de Rousillon tend to be heavy on the Carignan so even if Grenache dominates the blend (and it rarely "dominates" down here) the wines will be markedly different from Southern Rhone wines where it is relatively cool.

For your reference, Cotes de Rousillon is (I think) the southern-most AOC in France, butting right up against the Pyrenees along the Mediterranean. It is really quite hot here so that most of the grapes are bush-trained so that the canopy can shield the fruit and prevent it from getting sunburned. These wines are thick and spicy.

They have never been widely available in the US, but that's been getting better lately what with the rise of Languedoc wines. I like a wine called Walden, which should be available retail for $10-$14. It's a half-negociant wine (he basically buys fruit from only his neighbors because they don't make wine themselves) made by the guy that makes Domaine du Clos de Fees, an important biodynamic producer in the region.

EDIT: If you feel like ponying up a bit more and especially if you like Walden, you should try to find the regular Domaine du Clos de Fees label wines. Cheapest wine he makes retails for somewhere in the high teens, low twenties, so nothing backbreaking. It's good poo poo.

I'm willing to try anything once. Happen to have an exact name I could bring to the wine store?