Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

4liters posted:

A mate just put this on facebook:

Someone forgot to open the top before pumping the wine out of it.

Ouch. That's an expensive mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I'm loving nuts about Sauternes. Does anyone have any favorite brands for around $30 a half-bottle (or less)? I've only had a few types.

Château Suduiraut's second-label "Castlenau de Suduiraut" is a long time favorite of mine and really drat good at $20 a split. If you're going after that Château Roûmieu-Lacoste, it's worth getting the "Cuvée André" bottling over the regular stuff. While it's a bit more expensive it's still under $30 a split.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I've fallen into a rut lately, pretty much drinking only Oregon Pinot Noir and Champagne. A delicious, expensive rut.

The only Champagne I have been buying in the last year has been Ulysses Collin Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Pierrières. It's just out of the price range I like to spend on stuff I drink semi-regularly but it's just so drat good I can't help myself.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Here is me getting a grower Champagne facial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutJQrl8uuM

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

PatMarshall posted:

store it on its side in a temperature stable environment (like somewhere cool and dark in your apartment) and drink in ten years.

All great advice, in my opinion, except for this quoted bit. As someone who attempted to age wine in a cool, dark place in their apartment and ended up destroying half of a 100-bottle collection over a couple years in the process, I always recommend either a small wine fridge or off-site storing of wine if you really care to go that far. By "destroyed" I mean my bottles had seen too much temperature fluctuation, weakening the seal on the cork, allowing seepage and letting wine and oxygen to make sweet love inside the bottles, turning them to sink-wine.

I am one of the guys who stores his wine at Willamette Wine Storage and I also can't see going back to storing wine myself. I pay about $55 a month to store ~500 bottles there. The peace of mind alone is worth the money to me, outside of the other benefits that Perfectly Cromulent mentioned.

As for storing wine in urban conditions I don't see any option other than a wine fridge.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Noseman posted:

Have you tasted white Hermitage? I've tried the '08 from Jean-Louis Chave, and that was a life-changing experience.

It's really too bad that stuff is so expensive, because it is SO drat good. I've had the luck of having the '04 on a few occasions and the '05 once. Both are brilliant wines. I have a bottle of '05 that I am sitting on for a special occasion.

As far as the glassware discussion, I agree with what everyone else has said as well. I do however take my own glassware to friend's events if I don't think they will have proper stemware. Is it a douchey move? Sometimes, but I can't help myself. Having good glassware in lieu of crappy glasses you can't swirl or smell the wine in ruins an otherwise fun experience for me.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Oregon is starting to make some great skin-contact Pinot Gris that is a beautiful orange color. They are worth trying if you see them.

I was involved in a great tasting last night at St. Jack in PDX last night:

The wines from right to left: 1962 Croizet Bages (magnum), 1966 Pape Clement, 1966 Phelan Segur, 1975 Beychevelle, 1978 Bel Air Legrave, 1989 Lynch Bages, 1991 Hidden Springs Oregon dessert Riesling, 1991 Latour, 1995 Haut Batailley, 1998 Beauregard, 2003 Larnathe Sauternes, 2003 De Malle Sauternes, NV Ulysse Collin Champagne Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Pierrières

The Latour, Beychevelle and Croizet Bages were my three favorites. The Pape Clement was over the hill, the Lynch Bages was underwhelming, the Larnathe Sauternes tasted horrible. The Bel Air Legrave, a $25 wine, was surprisingly good. And that Ulysse Collin Champagne.... as always, really freaking good.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Drink and Fight posted:

Please suggest me some wines I can bring to Thanksgiving. I'm meeting my dude's parents. He says they like cabs. I don't think they're picky. There will be turkey. I'm in Oakland.

How much are you looking to spend?

Under $20, I've had good luck with Chateau St. Michelle "Indian Wells" cab from Washington and J. Lohr cab from Paso Robles. Both are around $15.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 24, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Both of the wines I suggested should be pretty easy to find. I don't drink much Cabernet in the $10-30 price range, but I do buy some of the cheaper stuff to cook with and have a glass during. The wines I suggested aren't complex wines by any stretch, rather they are made in a "crowd pleasing" style, rich, sweet fruited (for a dry wine) with minimal tannic grip and lots of weight and flavor intensity. Basically really smooth and easy to drink.

For drinking at that price point I tend to buy Bordeaux when I want that style of wine but it's hard to suggest one because they are hard to find in some states due to the way those wines are distributed. (I think)

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

that Vai sound posted:

I'm somewhat new to describing wine, so I'm not completely sure I understand the "mineral" descriptor. I recently had a white from Burgundy that had a nose that reminded me of mineral water, but I've never used the term otherwise. I did a little research, and one wine expert found people tend to mean high acid and low fruit/oak when they use the term.

I can recall having one red from Burgundy, and I thought of it as earthy.

I struggled with the mineral description for a while. Eventually I started using it when something tastes like stones, like that dirty, stony taste you get from walking down a gravel road. Or river stones, but you have to put a few of those in your mouth to get that one. Sometimes really gritty tannin can also remind me of these flavors depending on how they come across.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Vice also did a couple of videos related to wine, one on Nicolas Joly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2qBIgTZodU

and another on Korean poo wine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYc1XqfU-Jo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

You guys should post more pictures of wines.

I take photos of wine sometimes :v: