Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wouldn't normally do this, but someone invited me to Lot18 yesterday and I am already in love. Think Gilt or whatever, but for Wine only. Their stock is classy, the discounts are deep, and just today, they listed one of my favorite pinots of all time. 2007 Cristom Marjorie Vineyard Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.

Seriously this wine is bomb.

Anyway, the part I wouldn't normally do is a referral link, but I'm getting married in 2 weeks and have been stricken quite poor due to putting on this wedding. So I'm all about referral credits.

https://www.lot18.com/i/BSG357576

(seriously, even if you DON'T use my link, that is some good wine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Murgos posted:

Can we get people to go into a little bit more detail on this? I would love to be able to look at a bottle and go, "Ok, it cost them about 15 dollars to make this bottle so a price of 20-25 is really reasonable." Or, "This wine I never heard of looks like it cost 2.50 to make but they want $25? Pass."

I don;t think it's possible to be that analytical about a bottle of wine in any successful manner without just really knowing about most/every vineyard, where it is, how long wine was stored, what the real estate costs are, how good the wine typically is, etc.

There are people who probably can do that, but I would imagine they are Encyclopedia Browns of the Wine world.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mandalay posted:

Not to mention that wine is very subjective.

A fair point I glossed over. There may be a 2.50 production cost wine selling for 50 bucks that *I* just happen to think tastes DIVINE and is thusly worth it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I had a MOST delicious wine last night. As no stranger to wine, I like all types of things, but it struck me this would be a GREAT wine to pour for someone just getting into reds, or a little put off by the more intense reds.

Grizzly Republic Gypsy Noir Paso Robles Red 2008.

Yes, it's a mouthful.

It's 14.4 alc but it is one of the least "hot" wines I've ever drank. Very fruity with lots of jam.

It's got a bunch of grapes in it. Mourvedre, Syrah, P. Sirah, Cinsault, etc...

It's SO good. An easy drinking, (but very pedigreed) experience.

A blurb from Lot18 about the winemaker:

Who’s Brian Cheeseborough? While many top American wineries brag about their imported French winemakers, this American was actually poached from the Golden State and handed the reins of some of Bordeaux’s hottest estates. Châteaus Haut-Bergey, Branon, Barde-Haut and Clos l’Église fill his résumé. Yes, this is the Château Clos l’Église that was awarded 96-100 points by Robert Parker for the 2009 vintage, and, yes, Cheeseborough was the winemaker. To boot, he’s also making wine at Bodegas Poesia in Argentina. Give this guy grapes from anywhere, and he’ll undoubtedly do something incredible.