Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
This is a fantastic thread, thanks 4/20 for trying to inject a bit of class into our usual race to the bottom of debauchery when it comes to all things alcohol related. Especially when there is beer or are Australians involved.

Having been a fan of the grape (and the grain) for some years, I have ingested more than enough of the local (Australian) and exotic (NZ – okay some Californian and Chilean) gear to know 'what I like', but less of the 'why'.

This is a great primer into the hows and whys of wine appreciation, not to mention a choice excuse to go back and re-examine properly the wines I like/drink-until-I-like based on a Scientific Principal or three.

Cheers! By the way, Brian Croser is a God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

4liters posted:

They might eat a few leaves but mostly they stick to grass and chewing on the dripper line (to the endless frustration of the maintenance guys). Birds and foxes are the main grape eaters.

I love Riesling. The bone dry type. Can you recommend some of the really dry vintages from your area?
Seems Eden and Clare Valley plus some old Howard Park Tasmanian numbers get all the press, but I'm often left wanting.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 27, 2012

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Also, what is it about French Champagne? Every time, including a $45(AU) bottle I had yesterday, it tastes musty and old. Maybe the Croser sparkling I had as a younger man ruined it for me, but I hate Champagne now, give me a cold climate Australian or Spanish 'sparkling' anyday.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
If this has been posted on before I'm sorry but what the gently caress is it with Australian bottle shops making most anything worth drinking '2 for [pissweak discount]' but $3-5 over for a single.
Hello. I like wine. I will drink the wine in my house – until it's gone. Make me buy more for a reasonable price per bottle OR overcharge/punish me for trying to limit my intake.

It's a mind-game in that the outlets in this country have some statistical data that the more we buy the more we drink. Make it cheaper by a lot to buy 6 or even 2.

Disclaimer: I'm 1st glass into second bottle of Riesling right now.