Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
Quick question -

I live in a small town, and have started to get a reputation as "the wine guy", due to my weekly tastings I host at a local restaurant and a weekly 20 minute radio show I do about wine.

Lately I've been getting requests for me to come to people's houses and do private tastings, pair wines for gourmet dinner clubs, and to select wines and host tastings for different charity organizations.

While I love wine and talking about wine, I'm also very busy, and I can't keep doing all of these events for free. Are there any guidelines for what appropriate compensation is for these services, or am I out of line even thinking about charging?

If I do wind up charging, should I get a business licence? If any of you wine pros can help me out I would appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
I have a quick question. I'm putting on a tasting in a couple of days focusing on white wines from Germany, Austria and Hungary, and haven't had a chance to taste some of the selections. I would like to order the tasting from dry to sweet. Here is the order I had placed them in, any advice would be appreciated.

Royal Tokaji Fumint
SA Prum QbA Blue Fish Dry Riesling
Wolfgang Concerto Gruner Veltliner
Laurenz V Gruner Veltliner Laurnenz und Sophie Singing
SA Prum Wehlner Sonnenuhr Kabinett
SA Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese
Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos

Thanks for the help!

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 20, 2012

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

benito posted:

I'd do the Austrians first, then the Germans, and finally the Hungarians in Furmint-Mad-5 Puttonyos. For a guided tasting I prefer to keep similar grapes and regions together to better show the contrasts from "same grape, same soil, different productions".

Thanks, that's sound advice, and I think that's the direction I'll go.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Crimson posted:

Anyone ever been to/heard of (removed). Realized being specific might be a dumb idea. Interviewing for a nice somm position in Vegas! Very excited.

Good luck!

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
This could be fun. I'd love to throw some East Coast wines on, but I'm not familiar enough with any to include them (seriously, none of the distributors here even carry a Finger Lakes riesling).

All of these should be widely available. Esoteric is fun, but I went with "safer" wines. You didn't say how large of a list you wanted us to play around with, so I went with "large".

By The Glass List:

Sparkling
from sweet to dry

Schramsberg Cremant, Napa Valley, California
Gruet Blanc de Noir, New Mexico
Roederer Estate Brut, Anderson Valley, California

Whites
from sweet to dry
Ste. Chapelle Ice Wine Riesling, Idaho
Gundlach Bundschu Gewurztraminer, Sonoma Valley, CA
Elk Cove Riesling, Willamette Valley, OR
Dr. Loosen and Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica Riesling, Columbia Valley, WA
Trefethen Dry Riesling, Oak Knoll District, Napa Valley, CA
Willakenzie Estate Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, OR
Chateau Ste. Jean Pinot Blanc, Alexander Valley, CA
Seghesio Arneis, Russian River Valley, CA
Chateau Ste. Michelle Horse Heaven Hills Sauvignon Blanc, Horse Heaven Hills, WA
Robert Mondavi Reserve Fume Blanc, Napa Valley, CA or Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc
Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, CA
Mer Soleil Chardonnay, Santa Lucia Highlands, CA

Reds
from light to heavy

Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR
Erath Estate Selection Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR
Cambria Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley, CA
Long Shadows Nine Hats Sangiovese, WA
Three Rivers Red, Walla Walla, WA
Januik Merlot, Columbia Valley, WA
Clos du Val Merlot, Napa Valley, CA
Milbrandt Estate Malbec, Columbia Valley, WA
White Oak Syrah, Napa Valley, CA
Landmark Steelplow Syrah, Sonoma County, CA
Ed Meades Zinfandel, Mendocino County, CA
Renwood Old Vine Zinfandel, Sierra Foothills, CA
Bookwalter Subplot Red Blend, Columbia Valley, WA
Artesa Elements Red Blend, Sonoma, CA
Guenoc Petite Sirah, Lake County, CA
Conn Creek Cabernet Franc, Napa Valley, CA
Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA
Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA
Hess Allomi Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA

(I wish I could think of non-Napa Valley Cabs for the list, and I really wanted to put a Washington State cab on here, but the ones that came to mind - Januik, Woodward Canyon, Mark Ryan, Donedei, Andrew Will, L'Ecole, Hewitt, etc. all are too expensive for a BTG list. Makes me realize that I need to brush up on moderately price Washington Cabs.)

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Longtiem posted:

Cool, I'll grab some of those ones mentioned eventually.

One thing that always amazes me still is that a table of 4 guests will all order 4 separate glasses of 8 dollar wine, but be really taken aback at ordering a 40 dollar bottle of wine. Same price per glass really, comically better quality of wine, but people can never wrap their heads around it. btg is a scam in every restaurant, especially with whites. If our whites weren't kept at 40 degrees Fahrenheit no one would enjoy them.

E: besides having a waiter do wine service looks cool and makes you feel important and fancy

Can you post your current list for comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

What's the rule of thumb for determining the cost for a glass pour?

There's really not one rule of thumb, due to different pour sizes and markups. Generally restaurant by the glass pours are either 4oz (6 glasses per bottle) 5oz (five glasses per bottle) or 6oz (4 glasses per bottle). Target pour cost (which is the cost of the glass to the restaurant divided by the price to consumer of that glass) ranges from 20% to 40%, depending on the restaurant and the cost of the glass. A restaurant may run very low pour cost on cheap wines, but then run a high pour cost on a more expensive glass because they can still make more dollars profit on the glass than on the cheaper selection.

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in my market, 28% pour cost and a 5oz glass pour is pretty standard.