Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
I have a bottle 2006 Jordan Alexander Valley Cab and a 2007 BR Cohn Olive Hill Cab that I've been holding onto for about a year. I plan on serving one with Christmas dinner (we're doing a rib roast and a tenderloin), and I know very little about them both aside from what they're "worth." Either one better off holding onto for a bit longer, or does it really matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Does anybody know if there are any worthwhile online wine courses? Or a syllabus/reading list that I can follow myself?

I am interested in expanding my wine knowledge, which is decent, but not nearly as good as I would like to be, especially considering I am pursuing a career in hotel beverage management. Unfortunately, I live in Indianapolis, IN, and I can't find any sommelier programs or even adult education wine classes that are offered in the area. I don't necessarily need any kind of certification, just the knowledge that is associated with such a thing.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

quote:

(I wish I could think of non-Napa Valley Cabs for the list, and I really wanted to put a Washington State cab on here, but the ones that came to mind - Januik, Woodward Canyon, Mark Ryan, Donedei, Andrew Will, L'Ecole, Hewitt, etc. all are too expensive for a BTG list. Makes me realize that I need to brush up on moderately price Washington Cabs.)

Might look into Chateau Ste. Michelle Ethos Cab. One of my favorite Washington reds, and our cost is about $20-ish/bottle, so yours is probably similar.

Edit: Going back and re-reading the original post, that probably doesn't fit with $9/glass, though a distributor might give a special deal if it's going to be sold by the glass - I know mine do.

JetSet fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 1, 2012

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
It's not bad, certainly better than Franzia, etc, but nothing special. There are a handful of boxed wines in the same price range, and for what you are looking for, they would be perfect. The juice isn't gonna blow you away, but it's definitely drinkable.

Edit: in my experience, the whites tend to be better than the reds.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
All,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I am registered to take the Introductory Course through the Court of Master Sommeliers next month. As I understand it, a few people here are CS and above. My biggest question is, what, generally, should I expect on the exam? My boss, who has taken it, says I could probably pass it without the course, but I don't just want to pass it, I want to ace it, and use it as a stepping stone to take the Level 2 by the end of the year.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
dhaveck at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Pinot noir is the ideal salmon pairing.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
So I passed my CMS Level 1 exam earlier this week, and i have to say, it really de-mystified the prospect of being a Master. I had always figured that I would never be able to go further than Certified level, because blind tasting always baffled me. I could pick out a California Chard/Cab or a Willamette Pinot, but everything between was a challenge. I am amazed how much better I taste now. I can pick out more distinct flavors, and with a bit more training/learning, I will be able to assign a varietal/terroir to those characteristics. I'm not sure if I would be in a place where the effort/reward to attain master would beworth it, but I definitely see advanced level in my future.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Never been to the winery, but I'm a big fan of Terra d'Oro's Zin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
I've had the fortune to try some fantastic red Bordeaux, but never on my dime. If I'm paying, I'll go elsewhere 100% of the time, and I really only expect the QPR of Bordeaux to get worse (not that the quality will decline, but the price will almost definitely go up).