Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Anyone familiar with how Total Wine runs their business? They are supposedly setting up shop in our town to sell wine, beer, and liquor and was wondering if they would be worth working for instead a competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Overwined posted:

I worked for just about 4 years as a Wine Manager for TWM. It's not easy to work for them and I suspect it's gotten worse. What did you want to know about them, specifically?

Actually it's the wine manager job that I was interested in. From what I can find out about the company on the Internet is that they work them long hours although the benefits are supposedly good. Do they get to choose any of the wines they bring in? Also, how important is it to sell their private label stuff that hopefully isn't garbage?

And now back to the subject of the matter: Wining.

Earthquake cab by Michael David winery out of Paso Robles. Weighing in at a hefty 15+ percent it lacked the darker fruit that I expected from California and reminded me more of a cheap barefoot cab that had a machismo complex. After years of steroids and and hitting the heavy weights of the gym, his character became boring and decided to make up for it wearing spiced vanilla cologne. Definitely an identity crisis. His brother the Zinfandel is definitely cooler.

Joseph drouhin in Chablis-vaudesir grand cru 2007. We've been penpals for a while and was excited to meet her. Never meeting anyone from Chablis I was super excited about her status as a sexy cru. Unfortunately when she stepped off the plane it was anyone but seducing. She was thatskinny fat girl who looked fine in her body compressing bodyarmor workout clothes, but once laid bare, she was more jelly than tone. I hugged her hopefully that she would surprise me. However, once we started talking in person her granny smith and (quince?) was just smothered by the thick dose of bitterness and French oak which did not do anything to make her pleasant in anyway. Where was that spark of electricity and vibrancy? Destroyed by years of no self confidence and McDonald French fries. At 24 retail I should have known better. If you want a more Burgundian style with oak I'd go checkout some of the cooler climate Washington chardonnays. Canoe ridge from chateau ste Michelle is easy enough to find.

Pirc fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 2, 2012

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Pontius Pilate posted:

I guess I’m the person my friends ask for history and wine questions but I got one I’m stumped by (no means an expert, on the wine front at least, hence why I turn to y’all). What’s the purpose and/or tradition behind wine skirts(?) like this:

I was told one time a very long time ago by I don't know who that italian workers would anchor their bottles of wine in a river with the wrap to keep their wine cool. In the hot heat. Not expert advice.