Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

rangersilme posted:

Wine making in a small space would be a lot harder I think. I doubt the concentrate kits are worth it though I could be wrong.

Mead can be very wine-like and it's about as simple to make as those beer kits, it just takes longer to be ready.

I like to buy local stuff. Can anyone recommend some Washington wines? I'm no expert so about all I know is that I like them cheap (<$15 or so) and red. There are a few local wineries and I've already tried all their stuff that wasn't too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
We had a mead thread before whirled peas that was mostly focused on making mead. There's a beer thread about drinking beer, and another about making it. This is probably the best place to ask unless you want to start a wine making thread.

I'd say just go for it. I was overwhelmed when I started out with all the terms, methods and warnings about sanitation. Fermentation is a really reliable process.

I had a sort-of wine-making related question. I've been making mead for the last few months, and one guide from MoreWine talks about adding more yeast nutrient after 1/3rd sugar depletion. How can you tell when that is? Do I need to plan my FG and then keep measuring the SG periodically until it's 1/3rd down from the OG?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Honestly, I have no idea what it is that I'll be doing, exaclty. I guess we'll find out. I mean, you would have to mash the strawberries up, right? Like, you can't just place whole strawberries in there, I'd think. I don't think pureeing them, though.

Meads often use whole or lightly chopped fruits. With fruit they're called melomels. I think you could do it either way, or a little of both. Say you had some fresh and some frozen strawberries, puree or at least mash the frozen ones and chop the fresh ones. From what I've seen it's normal to add sugar to fruit wines to reach a certain specific gravity. If you puree the fruit you probably want to strain it through muslin or cheesecloth before using it. The pectic enzyme is pretty important to make the final product clear instead of cloudy.

This page was one of the first google results. You probably want to lean towards the table wine recipe on there.

Strawberry mead actually sounds pretty good. I'll have to give it a try.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Just rack it all into a clean container and blanket with some CO2 while you bottle - hell, you could probably use a large water cooler and fill straight from the spout. Just use whatever normal beer sanitizer you have to clean it first.

Get a beer bottling bucket that has a spigot on the bottom. Put the bucket with wine up on a counter and put a "bottle filler" on the spigot. The bottle filler is about 12" long with a spring-loaded tip. Raise the wine bottle so the filler goes inside and press the bottom of the bottle against the tip and the wine will start flowing until you lower the bottle. Nice way to fill without oxidation from splashing and convenient for lots of bottles (on the homebrew scale anyways). You'll want to take into account that the bottle filler displaces a certain amount of liquid so fill it a little higher than you actually want. It's easy enough to figure out after a bottle or two. Also, get a small bowl underneath to catch drips.

I haven't done any corking yet but I plan to use the manual hand corker. If you can rent the manual floor style corker then I've read that it's easier to use with better results.

For wine drinking content, my buddy gave me a bottle of dessert wine: Chocolate Shop (Red wine with natural dark chocolate flavors) from Walla Walla, Washington. I'm not crazy about chocolate flavor in beer, but I'll give this a shot on New Years Eve.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

For wine drinking content, my buddy gave me a bottle of dessert wine: Chocolate Shop (Red wine with natural dark chocolate flavors) from Walla Walla, Washington. I'm not crazy about chocolate flavor in beer, but I'll give this a shot on New Years Eve.

Well this stuff was loving disgusting, could barely get a few sips down and felt sick afterwards.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
What are the qualities of a good rosé? I've only had this local one and it seemed good, but I'm not very experienced with tasting... Rosé the Riveter

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Very cool, thanks for sharing. So the kangaroos don't eat the grapes?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
My corkscrew broke off in the cork last night. It was a wing-style corkscrew. Any suggestions on a decent replacement?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks, I managed to dig out around the broken bit enough to twist it out with pliers. Then I put a drywall screw through the cork and used a claw hammer to pry it out.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It seems like the "worm" being hollow like a spring instead of solid like a screw is the preference. I'll probably get the waiter-style since it's cheaper and there are too many of the Screwpull models to sort through.

I didn't want to push the cork into the bottle because I reuse the bottles for homebrew.

Determining whether it's actually good? Drink it, like it? It's good!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Have you consumed Pepto-Bismol or anything containing bismuth? The combination with sulfur (sulfites in the wine) seems to be the leading theory.

Has anyone seen that Maynard James Keenan documentary Blood Into Wine? Do his wines live up to the hype, or anything others from Arizona? I missed a chance to see A Perfect Circle play in Seattle last year and they had some fancy wine tasting event right before the performance each night. :(

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I went tasting in the Woodinville, WA "winery district". Only had a short time so we didn't stop many places. I got to see the Sky River Meadery which was awesome. Then we went to the Cougar Crest tasting room. I'm still not very experienced in wines but it was nice to have the place to ourselves and chat with the guy about the wines. I also discovered that I love port.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I really love seeing behind the scenes stuff.

Do any wineries just use wild yeasts on the fruit? Despite home-brewing mead, cider and beer for the last year I'm very unfamiliar with commercial wine-making processes.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Interesting. Blaufrankisch is known as Lemberger here in Washington state. One of the local wineries makes some so I'll have to try it out.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
There's been some talk, mostly people worrying, that the wildfires in Washington state last year are going to cause smoke taint in red wines made from those grapes. Is this bad because it's not the way the wine is supposed to be (but otherwise just tastes different) or is it something that actually tastes bad? Why does it only apply to red wines? I'm quite fond of smokey scotch and even though I doubt it's anywhere near the same I'm looking forward to trying a few bottles to see if I can taste anything different.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It's a longshot but has anyone even heard of any of the wineries on Bainbridge Island in Washington? Amelia Wynn, Eagle Harbor, Eleven, Fletcher Bay, Perennial Vinters, Rolling Bay? I'm heading out to do some tastings with friends this weekend.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for asking at least. It looks like we're going to head up to Port Townsend first and hit a few cideries, then stop at "Coppertop Loop" which has a distiller, brewery and winery tasting room. Then we'll hit the rest of the winery tasting rooms on Winslow Way if there's time left.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Trip report on Bainbridge Island... kinda. My friends didn't mention they were going tasting in eastern Washington the day before so they were a little burned out on wines. We went up to Port Townsend to Finnriver Cidery and stopped at the Coppertop Loop complex to check out a distillery and brewery. I did manage to convince them to stop at Perennial Vinters on Bainbridges, which was the only winery I was interested in since they grow their own grapes. We were going to peek inside the Fletcher Bay tasting room at Coppertop Loop but right as we were walking up the guy dumped the spit bucket right on the sidewalk out front, in front of us. Yuck. What is this, France?

Perennial Vinters was very small, operating out of the lower floor/basement of a house. The guy was sitting there applying labels to bottles by hand and answering our questions in a room filled with cases and cases of wines, while his partner did the tasting for us. They had 9 bottles open for tasting that day for a $6 fee.

He has about 2 acres of vineyards on the property and is looking to get another acre or two when they have the money to clear the trees. All of his wines focus on cool weather varieties so less alcohol and more acidity. The last two summers were poo poo so they had to get grapes from Bellingham. I'm not much of a wine guy so I didn't have a whole lot of tasting notes. There was a dry Orange Muscat that was nice and only one of the bottles had any oak, a Syrah. They also had a raspberry dessert wine that I really liked. It was made from raspberries from the farm next door. He had a nice story about the Japanese family who own the farm, were interred during WWII and got their property back.

I mentioned my homebrewing efforts with beer and cider and he volunteered that anyone could contact him in the late summer/early fall and come get vines full of hops he grows for free. Nice guy although he's very passionate about his winemaking, almost to a spergy level. If you're into the locally-sourced stuff and want to talk technical details then I'd recommend a visit.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I'm looking to pick up a bottle of wine for my girlfriend, but I'm not much of a wine drinker myself and I'm not sure what to get. She likes really sweet red wines, so I'm guessing some kind of dessert wine? Basically, what are a couple options for really sweet reds that aren't super expensive?

Trader Joe's carries a ruby port called Porto Morgado for about $8? a bottle. For the price it's really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Baudolino posted:

I really like wine made from other fruits than grapes, such as blueberry and cherry and so on. My family used to maked gallons of the stuff every year when we had a big garden. These days I have to buy it. Anyone got some suggestions for wine made from something other than grapes ( that you could find in a store) ?

Last year I did a roast pork tenderloin for Thanksgiving dinner and had a bottle of Pasek Cellars Cranberry wine that was great. It's from a smaller local Washington winery so it may not be available depending on where you are. The About Us page has more details.