Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QBit
Jan 1, 2006
Got the Ruhlman book, gonna get some salmon, will eat gravlax until I pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My mum has got my dad a smoker for his birthday. Can't loving wait. As much as I want it I know he'll love it and it was my idea so....

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I wanna make duck confit, but rather than buy pricey duck fat, could I just use the quart of bacon grease that's congealing on my counter? Or would the flavor really suffer?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Oh poo poo rillettes... I totally just turned 3 lbs of pork belly into rillettes. Can't wait for them to finish melding into awesomeness and eat them next weekend.

I also brined 6 lbs for confit... Yum yum yum.

snailassault
Feb 28, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh poo poo rillettes... I totally just turned 3 lbs of pork belly into rillettes. Can't wait for them to finish melding into awesomeness and eat them next weekend.

I admire your self control. I never manage to wait any more than a day.

Also: I made some bacon with the recipe in the start of the thread, and it turned out beautiful! So now there's 8 more pounds of pork curing away happily in my fridge. Now to jury rig some kind of bacon smoking setup...

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
Does anybody have experience making goose prosciutto? My brother in law has had a successful goose hunting season so I figured I'd give it a try.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My dads just built the smoker after opening it for his birthday 20 minutes ago. He's very happy. Can't wait to eat some smoked food

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Got 10 pounds of belly curing in the fridge. Hoping to smoke it in a week on time For thanksgiving.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

cobra_64 posted:

Does anybody have experience making goose prosciutto? My brother in law has had a successful goose hunting season so I figured I'd give it a try.

I would imagine it couldn't be much different than the duck prosciutto. Maybe let it cure in salt for 2 days instead of 1 due to its larger size?

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I too have joined the fresh bacon revolution with 5 pounds curing in my fridge.

Question time: The house I'm currently renting has the weirdest closet/room thing in the basement. I'm pretty sure it's under my front porch, all concrete walls, cold all the time. I put a temperature/humidity gauge in there and it seems to be staying about 58 degrees and over 80% relative humidity at all times. Is that much humidity too much for dry-curing or making pancetta?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

swampface posted:

I too have joined the fresh bacon revolution with 5 pounds curing in my fridge.

Question time: The house I'm currently renting has the weirdest closet/room thing in the basement. I'm pretty sure it's under my front porch, all concrete walls, cold all the time. I put a temperature/humidity gauge in there and it seems to be staying about 58 degrees and over 80% relative humidity at all times. Is that much humidity too much for dry-curing or making pancetta?

Pancetta is pretty forgiving, its ideal humidity is 60% for a roll. That being said, drop a small dehumidifer down there in that corner, you can get them for 30 bucks and see if that makes a difference. If you can get it to closer to 60% you will have the bomb curing area.

You are in the perfect range... i am jealous.
vvvvv

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 18, 2011

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pancetta is pretty forgiving, its ideal humidity is 60% for a roll. That being said, drop a small dehumidifer down there in that corner, you can get them for 30 bucks and see if that makes a difference. If you can get it to closer to 60% you will have the bomb curing area.

It turns out the $8 hygrometer/thermometer I have in there was off by about 20%. Got a new digital one and it's holding steady at 57 percent and 56 degrees. That seems a bit better.

QBit
Jan 1, 2006
I covered my salmon in cure, wrapped it and weighted it in my refrigerator last night.

This morning, the bottom of my refrigerator is covered in salty sugar salmon water.

Is there any reason not to do this in ziplock bags instead of plastic wrap?

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.
Out of curiosity, why would you not put it in a pan or a large bowl?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you not put it in a pan or a large bowl?
probably because ziplock bags are easier to squeeze air out of, and fish picks up flavours easily. using plastic wrap alone with a marinade is pretty silly though.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

QBit posted:

I covered my salmon in cure, wrapped it and weighted it in my refrigerator last night.

This morning, the bottom of my refrigerator is covered in salty sugar salmon water.

Is there any reason not to do this in ziplock bags instead of plastic wrap?
ziplock bags don't generally leak when appropriately closed.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

MasterFugu posted:

probably because ziplock bags are easier to squeeze air out of, and fish picks up flavours easily. using plastic wrap alone with a marinade is pretty silly though.

Put it in a bowl so that when your liquidy item spills out of its plastic confines it just spills into a bowl.

QBit
Jan 1, 2006

Psychobabble posted:

Put it in a bowl so that when your liquidy item spills out of its plastic confines it just spills into a bowl.

I did, but apparently I need a bigger bowl. But then the wrapped fish will be submerged in cure water.

How neccessary is the weight on top if the fish is being periodically flipped?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pork shoulder is currently very cheap locally. My dads smoker is currently unused and this seems a good thing to test out. Does anyone have a good rub/smoking time/temp for giving it a go?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright across the pond goon... You must be awakened to what we in the states refer to as.... Barbecue.

Begin with the rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard

Rub this all over very liberally. Coat that bitch. It is best to let it sit overnight. The next morning fire up that smoke. You want the temp at 215, but 200 to 230 is fine. 215 is best. Smoke it for 1.5 hours per pound until internal temp is 190. This is all in F so convert to C at you leisure.

When it is up to temp remove it from the smoker and place it on a big board. Let it cool for a little bit then rip it to shreds. What you have here is western Carolina BBQ pork. Since we are doing the west version we want a sweet tomato based BBQ sauce. You can make this while the pork is smoking.

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

You mix this sauce in as you shred. You can leave some pork unsauced and put sauce on the table for people to add as they desire.

You have now had western north Carolina BBQ. You can travel the rest of be USA and begin fighting over your favorite. I'm from Texas so this isn't anything like what we eat.

Enjoy!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I smoke pork shoulder (bkne-in butts) at 225-250 until internal temp hits 200*. Remove and wrap with foil, a few towels and throw into a cooler for 1-4 hours.

Putting a rub on overnight gives the outer layer a real "hammy" flavor in my experience.

Also, I slather the shoulder with yellow mustard prior to applying rub.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So my duck prosciutto has hung for a week, and I'm pretty sure its ready. I'm going to go downstairs to get it now.

Ten minutes pass.

OMG. The flavor. This is the best thing I've had in my mouth in years. Sweet jesus this is good. *drool*

snailassault
Feb 28, 2007
Bacon question: what is the purpose of heating the bacon after its done curing? I made a batch of bacon last week, and were planning to cook them yesterday. I fried up a little slice of the bacon to check for saltiness, and what i had pretty much looked like and tasted like bacon. The last batch i made got heated up, and whilst nice, had more of a cooked flavour. I used a thermometer, and pulled it out a few degrees short becaus I was impatient. The un-heated bacon also looks and feels a lot more like the bacon I get in stores (Norway). I really prefer the "raw" product - am I doing something wrong, or is american bacon just different from the stuff I'm used to?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

snailassault posted:

Bacon question: what is the purpose of heating the bacon after its done curing? I made a batch of bacon last week, and were planning to cook them yesterday. I fried up a little slice of the bacon to check for saltiness, and what i had pretty much looked like and tasted like bacon. The last batch i made got heated up, and whilst nice, had more of a cooked flavour. I used a thermometer, and pulled it out a few degrees short becaus I was impatient. The un-heated bacon also looks and feels a lot more like the bacon I get in stores (Norway). I really prefer the "raw" product - am I doing something wrong, or is american bacon just different from the stuff I'm used to?

Cooking the bacon to 150 will kill anything left from curing and extend it's shelf life. It's like the drying process for sausage an pancetta but uses heat instead. Using smoke also imparts additional flavor.

snailassault
Feb 28, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Cooking the bacon to 150 will kill anything left from curing and extend it's shelf life. It's like the drying process for sausage an pancetta but uses heat instead. Using smoke also imparts additional flavor.

Cool. Most of it's frozen now, so I probably wont die.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Does that mean you can optionally dry bacon? Does this become bacon prociutto? Doesn't sound bad to me.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I'm picking up pork belly and duck breast tomorrow to make bacon and prosciutto, my first time curing meat! However, I can't find curing salt anywhere. Assuming the butcher I'm getting my meat from doesn't have it (I don't know), it seems that these recipes are alright to do without it? Can someone clarify for me, please?

Also, the pork belly is coming with the skin on it, does this stay on or do I cut it up and fry it or something?

EDIT: Ah, I see people cut the skin off after taking it out of the oven (I'm in an aparment, so no smoker), but what should I do with the skin after that?

Skavoovee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 22, 2011

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fried pork skins!!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Render it in a low oven, keep in a yar and make God's Own Roast Potatoes.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

snailassault posted:

Pork rilettes are ridiculously tasty, and really easy to make.

Thanks for the help with the rillettes project.

I ended up making 3 types: duck, pork, and trout.

For the duck I made confit in the sous vide. I used star anise and orange zest for the flavoring. I ended up not having enough duck fat to use in the rillettes, so I ended up making some schmaltz from some chickens, and using that instead. To beef up the flavor of the final product, I incorporated some port soaked currants.

For the traditional pork rillettes I rendered about a cup of lard from 1.5 pounds of pork fat. I am not sure from what part of the animal the fat came from - there were some language barriers at the asian market. I cubed 2 pounds of pork shoulder and rubbed it with thyme, salt, and pepper. Let it sit over night. From that point forward I followed Ruhlman's recipe. Instead of incorporating the pork/chicken stock back into the shredded meat, I used some of my reserved lard. I seasoned the mixture, heavily, as was suggested.

Lastly, I made a trout rillette using canned, smoked trout from Trader Joe's. This recipe was also from Ruhlman. Instead of using white wine, as he suggests, I used sweet vermouth (didn't feel like making a trip to the store).

Tried all three before packing them up and they taste great. Hopefully, when I serve them for thanksgiving, they will be even better.

beefnchedda fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2011

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I started my duck breast prosciutto last night, but the recipe I ended up printing out didn't mention scoring the skin on the breast. Should I leave it in the salt for a little longer than 24 hours since it won't have that extra flavoring, or will it really not matter in the end?

Also, I asked for 2 breasts and ended up getting 2 whole breasts, aka 4 pieces of breast. I ended up doing 2 normally, but put some paprika and rosemary on the 3rd and black pepper on the other. I rubbed the spices into each side before putting in the salt. I'm hoping they'll turn out good, especially the rosemary/paprika.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mithra6 posted:

Does that mean you can optionally dry bacon? Does this become bacon prociutto? Doesn't sound bad to me.

It's called pancetta

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
I am trying some things, duck prosciutto and pancetta.

The recipe for pancetta I used says leave it in the cure for 7 days, and the duck prosciutto says leave it for 1 day. Why are these times so different? Also, the pancetta recipe doesn't say anything about wrapping with cheesecloth and the duck one did. Can I wrap the pancetta as well? What is the difference?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Nowhere near the same fat in duck breast, it's also tiny compared to a 5 lbs slab of pork. Also why the cheesecloth. The relatively lean duck breast will dry faster on the outsde so you wrap it to make it dry more evenly.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
That makes sense, thanks.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

First bacon success! Stuff on the right is just the straight basic cure, I added a bunch of fresh black pepper to the left one. Both are delicious. It's a bit salty, but the 1 minute blanch fixes that right up. Hooray for fresh bacon!

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
One day left until my bacon is done, and a day after that for the duck breast prosciutto! I'm so excited to try these, I hope I didn't gently caress up something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Definitely requesting the rhulman book for Christmas

All of this looks amazing...and I have a smoker!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Would there be a few people interesting in splitting a whole leg of prosciutto? Delicious group buy? Suggestions for a source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themummra
Nov 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
This thread has really inspired me to try my hand at this. I LOVE prosciutto, and I think first I will try making the duck prosciutto. To anyone that has made it, how was it?

• Locked thread