Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Woe is me, i got 8 lbs of pork belly for under $3 a lb.
Whatever will I do?

3lb bacon, 3lb pancetta, 2lb fresh pork belly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Just pulled a fennel/black pepper coppa out of the chamber. Very nice:

Goes great as part of a sweet/salty plate with Cypress Grove Purple Haze, apple and spicy pickled vegetables:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Goes great as part of a sweet/salty plate with Cypress Grove Purple Haze, apple and spicy pickled vegetables:

That looks great!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Ok, you convinced me, gonna do it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bacon and pancetta are curing.

I've got a cart with a minifridge, ultrasonic humidifier, and temp/humid controller staring at me....

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Stringent posted:

Ok, you convinced me, gonna do it.

Do it! Once you have a little experience and have set up a decent chamber, coppa is dead easy.

Speaking of a decent chamber, toplitzin: unless you are very short on space, don't monkey around with a mini fridge! Controlling humidity will be a massive PITA. Get a used refrigerator or freezer (frost-free) instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Got gifted this. Says sell by May 25. Stored st room temp. Eat or toss?

holttho
May 21, 2007

Cut it open and give it a smell. You'll know real quick.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My pancetta cure failed pretty hard:

I'm not exactly sure where it went wrong, but after it came out of the cure it looked fine, but by saturday developed the lovely color seen above.

Possible causes:
Bad Cure: Does the coloring of pink salt really matter, it fades to an off yellow over time/storage in the cabinet (doubtful, as the bacon came out A-OK, but it was also hot smoked)
Bad Prep: I left the skin on the belly while it cured then rinsed, removed and stuck the belly in the fridge (no air cure dry, it's summer and my closets are too warm and i don't have a cure fridge set up)
This worked fine for the bacon, should i remove the skin next time before curing?
Should i gt a mini fridge and PID and do the whole cure box and air the fucker for a week?

Something else?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm a bit color blind, but I can't see what's wrong with it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's a fabulous green tinge.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Is that the whole thing? 1" x 2"? Were you gonna cure something for a month for one serving? That's some dedication right there.

The color in the actual pink salt is just a dye so you don't eat it. The red it causes is a chemical reaction. It might be the cool and damp fridge.

Also for photography for that sort of thing, take a piece of white printer paper and put it right next to it and tell your camera to focus on that. Even a crummy phone camera will balance the color pretty well. Sun light will do wonders as well.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

holttho posted:

Is that the whole thing? 1" x 2"? Were you gonna cure something for a month for one serving? That's some dedication right there.

The color in the actual pink salt is just a dye so you don't eat it. The red it causes is a chemical reaction. It might be the cool and damp fridge.

Also for photography for that sort of thing, take a piece of white printer paper and put it right next to it and tell your camera to focus on that. Even a crummy phone camera will balance the color pretty well. Sun light will do wonders as well.

no, it was a 3lb half of belly I had split to store after the cure.
That's about a lb or so.

I tossed the brick from the freezer and called a buddy who had another piece.

The freezer piece still has the skin on but here's a side shot:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

toplitzin posted:

no, it was a 3lb half of belly I had split to store after the cure.
That's about a lb or so.

I tossed the brick from the freezer and called a buddy who had another piece.

The freezer piece still has the skin on but here's a side shot:

Looks like skin fat and meat to me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

Looks like skin fat and meat to me.

yeah, my camera levels are way off, but it was green in patches. like starbucks straw green. smelled fine, but i can always try again.

Here, i poked at the levels a bit more since the cutting board is supposed to be white:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Don't leave the skin on the pancetta next time.

Leave it on the bacon though because it's tasty

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

toplitzin posted:

yeah, my camera levels are way off, but it was green in patches. like starbucks straw green. smelled fine, but i can always try again.

Put a piece of copy paper next to your target and focus your camera on that

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I usually am fine with photography.
I just had 3 different light sources and didn't back focus on the white cutting board.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i like how gws has gone from criticizing people for saying their steak is pink honest to this

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

At least it's not a human leg.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does this recipe look ok? There doesn't seem to be enough salt for 2 whole duck breasts...

https://www.drybagsteak.com/recipe-charcuterie-duck-prosciutto.php

quote:

Dry Cure Ingredients

Duck breasts (magret de canard) 2- 7oz (200g)
Kosher salt (sel gros) 2 tsp (6g)
Brown sugar (cassonade) 2 tsp (12g)
Juniper berries (baies de geniérve) 2
Bay leaf (feuille de laurier) 1
Black pepper (poivre noir) 1/2 tsp (4g)
Smoked paprika (paprika fumé) 1/8 tsp (1g)
Instructions

Mix Dry Cure Ingredients well and rub onto meat, making sure to cover all nooks and crannies.
Transfer meat into a Ziplock or Foodsaver bag and place in your refrigerator for one week to cure.
After the curing process, remove meat from bag, and rinse off cure under running water.
Transfer to UMAi Dry® and place place on an open wire rack to dry in your refrigerator four to eight weeks, or until 35-40% reduction in weight.
After drying is complete, slice thin and enjoy! For perfect, paper thin slices every time, we highly recommend the Chef's Choice Model 632 Deli Slicer.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EngineerJoe posted:

Does this recipe look ok? There doesn't seem to be enough salt for 2 whole duck breasts...

https://www.drybagsteak.com/recipe-charcuterie-duck-prosciutto.php

Edit: just found their video where they use 18g of salt, does that make more sense?

Edit 2: I clearly can't edit for poo poo.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
A sausage question, this seems to be the most logical thread. I'm trying to get better at the process. My flavors are good but I keep having my links bust at the ends. I imagine I may just be stuffing them too tightly. If I stuff the proper amount, twist, and let rest in the fridge maybe over night should the links stay together without issue when they're separated? If there's any other tricks/suggestions I'm all ears.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Not over stuffing will help, yeah. Are they bursting when you cook them? If so, try cooking at a lower temperature.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I got a little better with my most recent batch this weekend. At times I'd twist them, let them rest, and then separate them with the ends leaking open. I did a huge batch this weekend so I had opportunity to try a few different things. No cooking, low and slow in the oven, and low and slow on a smoker. The low and slow cooking seemed to do the trick but of course this was after I made a conscious effort to not over stuff them. The new lesson that I learned though was I need to be willing to poke them much more than I did to let more air out of the casing. Oh well, I'll just have to make more to practice.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

they're bursting because the air and water inside has nowhere to go, maybe stab them with a fork a few times before cooking

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Elizabethan Error posted:

they're bursting because the air and water inside has nowhere to go, maybe stab them with a fork a few times before cooking

and then all the juicy goodness will leak out. :smith:

I'd say keep practicing cooking your sausages until you hit the right temperature and technique. I usually poach them or cook them sous vide before browning them to finish. It's pretty rare for one to break, though it does happen.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

and then all the juicy goodness will leak out. :smith:
it already is, try learning to read entire sentences bud :mediocre:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I think it's pretty clear that I was advocating learning how to cook sausages without breaking them open or puncturing them. But if you enjoy being snotty to people in a dead comedy cooking website, go right ahead!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I think it's pretty clear that I was advocating learning how to cook sausages without breaking them open or puncturing them. But if you enjoy being snotty to people in a dead comedy cooking website, go right ahead!
I find it funny to mock people who can't read posts they're replying to, correct!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You do you, friend, and enjoy your leaking sausages.

holttho
May 21, 2007

If you use a pin to prick the air bubbles at the time of filling, the casings will have ample time to 'heal' and won't leak. The proteins will just gum up as many tiny holes as you want to put in them.

Additionally, if they are bursting at the ends, consider leaving more space between the links. The extra casing to twist up can do wonders and will fuse together over time. Putting an extra inch or two between links won't do much to consume your casings unduly.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Hello thread!

I've been reading through all the posts thinking about my first project, and I recently (six days ago) corned a beef tongue using Ruhlman's recipe. I cooked it by pressure cooking it for 35 mins after corning it for ~6 days.

It's delicious but definitely looks like a weird creepy tongue. I have some sauerkraut fermenting and am looking forward to baking some rye bread and turning it into reubens!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

turing_test posted:

It's delicious but definitely looks like a weird creepy tongue. I have some sauerkraut fermenting and am looking forward to baking some rye bread and turning it into reubens!

Pics! You can always just slice it cold and fan it out into a neat arangement.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pics! You can always just slice it cold and fan it out into a neat arangement.

Imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/q9q12

Recipe here. I cooked the tongue in my Instant Pot for 35 mins.

I used the SeriousEats recipe for sauerkraut.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

turing_test posted:

Imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/q9q12

Recipe here. I cooked the tongue in my Instant Pot for 35 mins.

I used the SeriousEats recipe for sauerkraut.

Nicely done! Looks great. May you have many delicious sandwiches!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

turing_test posted:

Hello thread!

I've been reading through all the posts thinking about my first project, and I recently (six days ago) corned a beef tongue using Ruhlman's recipe. I cooked it by pressure cooking it for 35 mins after corning it for ~6 days.

The tongue looks... yeah, like a creepy tongue. But I bet it tastes awesome, good job! And it will taste even better with your own kraut and on your own bread.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Every year I go on a week long camping trip with friends. Every year I make a passel of sah-seges to share around in return for much alcohol.

This year I gifted myself a new toy:

with which I made about 9 lbs of this:

Sai Ua Samun Phrai via Andy Ricker's Pok Pok recipe.

Test sample indicates: Delicious.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

CaptainCrunch posted:

Every year I go on a week long camping trip with friends. Every year I make a passel of sah-seges to share around in return for much alcohol.

This year I gifted myself a new toy:

with which I made about 9 lbs of this:

Sai Ua Samun Phrai via Andy Ricker's Pok Pok recipe.

Test sample indicates: Delicious.

Bet that will be amazing with a cold beer. Are you planning to grill it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Bet that will be amazing with a cold beer. Are you planning to grill it?

Yessir! Over coals in a fire pit somewhere in the desert.
The taste test put it in the ball park, flavor-wise, from what I had when I holidayed in Thailand a few year back. SO excited.

• Locked thread