Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

homemade fig preserves, saucisson sec, smoked lonza, Piave, cherry preserves. Together with some homemade sourdough toast and a couple of glasses of red wine, not a bad Friday night dinner.

(I got the fig preserves from a neighbor in exchange for some salami. A great thing about this hobby is that I make more meats than I can eat, but I know lots of people who make other things and are happy to swap. This week I got a couple of homemade jams and cider donuts. I'm owed a pie, and another buddy makes Worcestershire sauce. Score!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hi thread, I have always been interested in charcuterie but only after recently buying a house do I have the actual space to do it. Are there any good sites with step-by-step directions for getting a chamber set up? I know it's really just an old fridge, a hygrometer and a temp controller, but I am a cave man who can only put things together if he follows directions exactly to a T.

Also, I plan on putting the chamber in my garage, but I live in Colorado and temperatures can frequently be below freezing for days at a time during the winter. Is that going to make it impossible to keep the fridge at the correct temps? Would a warm mist humidifier help for that purpose?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Hi thread, I have always been interested in charcuterie but only after recently buying a house do I have the actual space to do it. Are there any good sites with step-by-step directions for getting a chamber set up? I know it's really just an old fridge, a hygrometer and a temp controller, but I am a cave man who can only put things together if he follows directions exactly to a T.

Also, I plan on putting the chamber in my garage, but I live in Colorado and temperatures can frequently be below freezing for days at a time during the winter. Is that going to make it impossible to keep the fridge at the correct temps? Would a warm mist humidifier help for that purpose?

Join the Salt Cured Pig on Facebook.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

toplitzin posted:

Join the Salt Cured Pig on Facebook.

SCP is a very good group. Even better, for this question, is the Curing Chamber/ Umai Bag Support Group. I know that putting together a chamber is initimidating but it doesn't have to be hard. If you want, I'll post a photo of my chamber. I did zero electrical work or anything complicated and it works great.

As to your other question, you'll need to warm up your chamber, for sure. Mine is in the garage; it's not heated in there, and in winter, the temperature is freezing outside and drops to 50-55 degrees in the garage. That's actually perfect in terms of temperature; the problem is that when the fridge doesn't cycle, the humidity spikes. I bought a ceramic terrarium heater and attached it to a dimmer switch. Once the weather starts getting cold I'll turn it on. I don't know if that will work if your garage is below freezing. I suspect so but you should seek advice from people with more experience in cold climates.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Thirding the Salt Cured Pig recommendation. In particular, follow it and check for events in your area, they're infrequent (and expensive) but are full of good, friendly, people who love feeding other people ridiculous food and booze and also love talking about how they made the stuff that they're feeding you.

I hit one of their boucheries a few years ago and despite the event being a few hundred miles away I still met a lot of relative locals and occasionally get to just hang out and just eat a bunch of pro-quality cured meat and/or bbq. Also: great way to meet farmers, so you can source that primo poo poo.

It's a great resource and community if you can suffer through the "DOES N E ONE KNOW HOW 2 MAEJ UNCURED BACON WIT CELERY" posts every week or so

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks you guys. I joined both the Salt Cured Pig and the Curing Chamber groups.

Side questions - anyone got a good nova lox recipe? Capicola?

E: or just a trusted online source for charcuterie recipes in general would be great.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks you guys. I joined both the Salt Cured Pig and the Curing Chamber groups.

E: or just a trusted online source for charcuterie recipes in general would be great.

Anyone have resources that don't require a facebook account?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mikey Purp posted:

Sausage Debauchery is another very good Facebook group. Two good blogs to read that will walk you through the process are Jason Molinari's "Cured Meats" blog and "Our Daily Brine." For sausage and salami, Len Poli's website is also solid. I assume you know about the standard books on the subject, right?

Capocollo is a very good place to start with dry-cured meats. Here is the recipe I use for a sweet coppa. All numbers are percentages:

salt 2.5
#2 .25
fennel (toasted, then ground) .75
black pepper 1
garlic powder .5

Really for coppa, the only things you need are at least 2.25% salt by weight and .25% #2. At that point you can add whatever spices you want- sweet, spicy, whatever. I just pulled a really nice lemon coppa. It's hard to mess it up.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

nominal posted:

Thirding the Salt Cured Pig recommendation. In particular, follow it and check for events in your area, they're infrequent (and expensive) but are full of good, friendly, people who love feeding other people ridiculous food and booze and also love talking about how they made the stuff that they're feeding you.

I hit one of their boucheries a few years ago and despite the event being a few hundred miles away I still met a lot of relative locals and occasionally get to just hang out and just eat a bunch of pro-quality cured meat and/or bbq. Also: great way to meet farmers, so you can source that primo poo poo.

It's a great resource and community if you can suffer through the "DOES N E ONE KNOW HOW 2 MAEJ UNCURED BACON WIT CELERY" posts every week or so

I've been wondering this actually, if you're in to the charcuterie stuff maybe you can help. I'm a big fan of basically all kinds of charcuterie, sausages both fresh and dry, stinky feet moldy ones, rillettes, confits, fancy spanish ham, prosciutto, stuff from polish sausage shops i don't even know the name of, all of it. Even crazy good stuff like chinese dried scallops shark fins and abalone from hong kong. Basically if it was alive and then you preserve it somehow its gonna be delicious.

I've read this thread for a while and am really thinking about doing some of my own stuff with a little fridge or whatever people do but your post reminded me of something I don't think the thread has covered, do you know or does n e one kno how too maej uncured bacon wit celery?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I've been wondering this actually, if you're in to the charcuterie stuff maybe you can help. I'm a big fan of basically all kinds of charcuterie, sausages both fresh and dry, stinky feet moldy ones, rillettes, confits, fancy spanish ham, prosciutto, stuff from polish sausage shops i don't even know the name of, all of it. Even crazy good stuff like chinese dried scallops shark fins and abalone from hong kong. Basically if it was alive and then you preserve it somehow its gonna be delicious.

I've read this thread for a while and am really thinking about doing some of my own stuff with a little fridge or whatever people do but your post reminded me of something I don't think the thread has covered, do you know or does n e one kno how too maej uncured bacon wit celery?

I can only make celibacy bacon. sorry.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

hakimashou posted:

do you know or does n e one kno how too maej uncured bacon wit celery?

start with a human leg

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have resources that don't require a facebook account?

To answer my own question, I found this forum yesterday:
https://forums.egullet.org/

which has a bunch of posts related to charcuterie in their cooking subforum:
https://forums.egullet.org/forum/3-cooking/

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Gonna get a coppa started this weekend using an Umai bag while I get the curing chamber project off the ground.

Question - what's the best type of charcuterie to make if you want a quick turnaround? We are hosting a holiday party during the second week of December and it would be awesome to have some home-made charcuterie to serve.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Mikey Purp posted:

Question - what's the best type of charcuterie to make if you want a quick turnaround? We are hosting a holiday party during the second week of December and it would be awesome to have some home-made charcuterie to serve.

Duck prosciutto, pate, gravlax, any kind of cooked sausage. Mortadella is somewhat of a challenge to make but it doesn't need to dry and it's awesome.

I always make this chicken liver faux gras at the holidays and it's spectacular:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chicken-faux-gras-50113284

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

hakimashou posted:

do you know or does n e one kno how too maej uncured bacon wit celery?

Did you have a stroke right before posting this?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

"Uncured" products in celery juice are stupid as hell.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Did you have a stroke right before posting this?

Look at the post they quoted.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Slimy Hog posted:

Look at the post they quoted.

Oops, my bad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm making bacon for the first time following Ruhlman's recipe here: http://ruhlman.com/2016/04/bacon-time/

Belly in the bag:

Belly in the rub:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Be prepared to soak it in cold water after it's done curing. IMO Ruhlman's recipe is was too salty. Unless he has adjusted his salt levels recently.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used about 50g of kosher salt for a 3.5lb piece of belly.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I agree with Flash Gordon Ramsay, I made Ruhlman's bacon recipe a month or two ago and it was definitely too salty. Soaking it in cold water for an hour or two before smoking would probably be enough to adjust it though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cool, I’m glad you guys warned me. I’ll do that next week when it’s done curing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
pork loin makes better bacon imo the belly you can buy is way too fatty

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Chemmy posted:

I used about 50g of kosher salt for a 3.5lb piece of belly.

Agreed with the other posters. Just FYI, that's about 3.1% salt/meat ratio: salty! Next time, weigh out the salt. You want about 2.5% salt, maybe less, and .25% cure #1. The nice thing about measuring is that it's more replicable and you can leave it in the cure and it won't become too salty if, for example, it goes 2-3 weeks before you smoke it.

Zombie Dachshund fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 8, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

what the gently caress

are you Australian or something?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trig Discipline posted:

what the gently caress

Wouldn't an Australian be too scared of food poisoning to try making their own bacon though? I'm going with Canadian.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Wouldn't an Australian be too scared of food poisoning to try making their own bacon though? I'm going with Canadian.

No, when Australians are afraid of food poisoning they just drink twice as much to kill the bacteria.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jose posted:

Lok how wrong this is. There is nothing wrong with loin bacon, but come on man... Belly all the way.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

all bacon is good :yum:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Stringent posted:

Don't sully the good name of Canada by associating us with fake bacon.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm flattered you think I'm influential enough to have come up with the name Canadian bacon.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Stringent posted:

I'm flattered you think I'm influential enough to have come up with the name Canadian bacon.

It's called back bacon. No idea why it's associated with Canada down in the US.

Regardless, fatty belly bacon is the standard.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

sinburger posted:

It's called back bacon. No idea why it's associated with Canada down in the US.

Regardless, fatty belly bacon is the standard.

Back home in Canada we always referred to peameal (or cornmeal) rolled back bacon as Canadian bacon. It's always bothered me in the US when people call those crappy little disks of ham Canadian Bacon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They're both terrible compared to regular bacon.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chemmy posted:

They're both terrible compared to regular bacon.

Dilly dilly!

holttho
May 21, 2007

How about, "You can spend your whole life searching for the perfect [cherry blossom/cured meat bacon product/bbq recipe/chili recipe] and never find it. And it would not be a wasted life"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking for a book on Charcuterie that is more about the theory behind the curing/drying/etc process and not just a list of recipes. After a little bit of research, I've determined that I should either buy Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by the Marianskis or spend a bunch of money on Books from The Professional Charcuterie Series.

What books do you all like for this kind of information?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

what the gently caress

He's English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

He's English.

Oh god it's even worse than I thought.

• Locked thread