Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
For anyone having trouble finding pink salt or who doesn't want to wait for it to ship: Bass Pro Shops sells it as Lem Cure in 4oz packets for ~$2, so if you have one nearby it's a cinch to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
Operation bacon trip report: Pulled 2 slabs of belly out of cure last night, dried them off, rolled them in fresh cracked pepper and roasted em in the oven for an hour. Sample piece I fried up was delicious. I also had some scraps I made salt pork out of that I threw in with some balsamico-honey roasted brussels sprouts. They were also goddamn delicious. The last slab of belly wasn't quite cured in the center so I overhauled it again and it'll ideally get pulled tonight and then will be rolled/hung for pancetta.

Next on the hitlist are going to be duck breast proscuitto and some lox. Curing meat kicks rear end.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
You can also use the pepper as part of the cure if you want. Gets into the meat, different depth of flavor.

Duck breast prosciutto is easier than people realize and ridiculously delicious. I actually have it on my menu with arugula, pine nuts, and a simple citrus vin. It is salty, fatty, and amazing.

I didn't make the lox but the recipe for the fennel cured salmon is pretty awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

Following the cure for bacon from here http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Does it matter if I remove the sugar? I don't want to make sweet cure bacon and unless the sugar is necessary would prefer to completely remove it

Rhulman's book states for 'savory bacon' use 5 smashed cloves of garlic, 3 crushed bay leaves, 10g partially crushed black peppercorns. But this is used with the 'basic cure' which does use granulated sugar or dextrose.

It says that its probably not ideal for slicing and cooking but for use in recipes.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 13, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some pork loin which I intend to cure and smoke. Not really knowing the cuts of pork, what is traditionally back bacon and what will I end up with using loin, since I'm expecting it won't be bacon?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Jose posted:

I've got some pork loin which I intend to cure and smoke. Not really knowing the cuts of pork, what is traditionally back bacon and what will I end up with using loin, since I'm expecting it won't be bacon?

Smoked pork loin is basically canadian bacon, typically. Really depends on the preparation and slicing thought.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is the loin to be cured.

The first part of the cure, 3 tablespoons of black pepper coarsely ground in a pestle and mortar with 4 bayleaves.

This is the full cure, with 40 grams of curing salt and 30 grams of normal salt and a load of sprigs of thyme.

This is the loin covered in the cure. I'll take it out the fridge once a day and rub it to make sure it stays evenly covered. Going to smoke it next weekend.

Think I might have used too much salt, but its my first time making bacon so some hiccups are expected. Can't wait to smoke this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I want to make something like prosciutto, but I just have a 2lb strip of pork belly.

in principle, I don't think this is an unreasonable goal - I mean there isn't really much difference between a pork shoulder and pork belly as far as meat goes, except obviously belly is a bit fattier - but I like lardo so.

how should I go about curing it? I think ruhlman mentions anything (beef tenderloin, pork belly, whatever) can be dry cured like prosciutto - I think you just are supposed to rub it down with pepper and maybe garlic, and then salt the everliving gently caress out of it for a couple days - then lard it and hang it with cheesecloth in a temperature/humidity controlled area until its ham. but, has anyone done this? (or actually made prosciutto?) any advice?

I guess I'm just gonna go garlic and pepper my pork belly strip and bury it in kosher salt and hope for the best...?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
nevermind, apparently the exact recipe I wanted was already in Charcuterie - it was just labeled in the index as 'lardo'. Apparently he suggests the same procedure for dry curing pork belly as lardo - tons of the basic cure with pink salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme. I added garlic.

I guess its good I found that, I wasn't planning on using pink salt, and the curing times listed (about 10-14 days) are a lot longer than I was going to use.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Should I be concerned or do anything about all of the water that curing the loin has pulled out of the meat into the container I'm keeping it in?

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Jose posted:

Should I be concerned or do anything about all of the water that curing the loin has pulled out of the meat into the container I'm keeping it in?

According to Ruhlman, that's exactly what is supposed to happen. If the liquid isn't in contact with all parts of the curing liquid, you need to overhaul it (flip the container/meat over, really easy if it's in a bag of some sort) every other day. At least, that what he recommends for bacon. I don't have the book on me to see if loin is the same, although I would assume it's very similar.

On an unrelated note, I cooked my first piece of home-made bacon today and it was awesome. I cannot wait to make more.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
I made 2 charcuteries so far, both from the Ruhlman book. Duck prosciutto, and pancetta. I feel they turned out very well for being made in a fridge:

Here is the finished duck prosciutto (front centre) on a tray with purchased lonza, bresaola, parma prosciutto and soppressata that I put out at my new years party:

Served with cheese tray containing buffalo milk semi soft cheese, apricot stilton, smokey blue cheese, grey owl, 10 yr old cheddar, cranberry peppercorn compote.

and mostly homemade pickle tray: pumpkin pickles, standard pickles, white asparagus pickles, spicy pickled green beans, pepperoncini, sun dried tomatoes:

Here is the finished pancetta:

Sliced thickly for making lardons as needed:

The duck was better than I've had from a local butcher shop that makes it in house (http://www.thevillagebutcher.ca/), but not quite as good as from a local restaurant that makes it in house (http://theblackhoof.com/). The Hoof must add something special to their cure, I will continue to work on stealing their secrets.

The pancetta was fantastic, honestly better than expected. I put it in meatballs so far and am planning on trying some carbonara involving it next week.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goddamn, were you feeding like 20 people with those trays?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Appl posted:

and mostly homemade pickle tray: pumpkin pickles, standard pickles, white asparagus pickles, spicy pickled green beans, pepperoncini, sun dried tomatoes:

Can you hook me up with your pickle recipes or post them in the home canning/pickling thread? I'd love the pumpkin pickle recipe especially.

The thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

I'm seriously thinking about making some bacon here. I can't really justify other products though since I'm a 5 minute walk from Salumi.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Joe Friday posted:

Can you hook me up with your pickle recipes or post them in the home canning/pickling thread? I'd love the pumpkin pickle recipe especially.

The thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

I'm seriously thinking about making some bacon here. I can't really justify other products though since I'm a 5 minute walk from Salumi.

you can probably justify duck ham, because what average meat store has that?

making bacon is ridiculously easy, no excuse not to. unless you don't have access to good pork I guess.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

mindphlux posted:

making bacon is ridiculously easy, no excuse not to. unless you don't have access to good pork I guess.

Yeah, the bacon was one of the most low-effort things I've ever done and it turned out great. Duck prosciutto was next on my list.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

mindphlux posted:

you can probably justify duck ham, because what average meat store has that?

This is true, and I have access to basically unlimited pork belly and duck, so that is covered. Plus the people at Salumi are super rude. I'll post a bacon trip report here once I grab some pork belly.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

mindphlux posted:

goddamn, were you feeding like 20 people with those trays?

Yep

Joe Friday posted:

Sure, I will do that soon and post it in that thread.

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot

Joe Friday posted:

unlimited pork belly and duck

? I want in :D

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I decided to corn a beef since I had pretty much everything but the brisket in my pantry, used Ruhlman's recipe here modified a few spices that I was missing and it turned out fantastic! I had never done that before, always store bought, never again :)

My bacon is still curing in the fridge, can't wait to try and smoke it tomorrow. I stole a bit of the bacon to cook with my cabbage and it was amazing.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
tomorrow the pastrami comes out, 2 days later the corned beef. Or maybe the other way around I cannot remember. I blew through three breasts of the proscuitto in a week or two here, people loving love it. I think the cure needs pepper though, or maybe some citrus.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

spandexcajun posted:

I decided to corn a beef since I had pretty much everything but the brisket in my pantry

I meant to do that last year. How much better was it than store bought? Can you say anything about how the two differ? Maybe I'll do it this year...

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

How much better was it than store bought? Can you say anything about how the two differ?

I thought it was quite a bit better, my wife was over the moon with it. We has a store bought 3 or 4 weeks ago that spawned this idea so it is sort of fresh in my mind if not an A / B comparison. We typically throw it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours and then put in some potatoes and cabbage for the last hour. Low to no effort eat it for 3 days sort of meal.

This one I did on the stove top in a pot over a low simmer for 3 hours or so with the cabbage / potatoes segregated. I think this made the biggest differences, browning the cabbage in bacon fat then simmering with the pot liqure was amazing compared to just cooking it in a crock pot. The meat itself was a lot firmer, I expect this was due to the much shorter cooking time. I thought it was salter, but not in a bad way, my wife did not think the salt level deviated much from a store bought. I did taste the crushed red peppers and loved it, not so much heat but a good capsium hint that I have never had in a pre made. Smelled the house up something good compared to a crock pot.

All and all totally worth it, it was really not much more effort. Just planing in advance. If you have anything close to the correct pickling spice the only hard thing to find was pink salt and hey, this is the Charcuterie thread, so you probably already snort a line or two of nitrates a week and have some to spare. A++ would corn again :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just smoked the pork loin I had curing for a week. 2 hours at between 150-200F. The meat thermometer I used showed a far higher temperature than either of those though and I'm worried I might have just completely cooked it.

Edit: seems the meat thermometer I was using is broken

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Appl posted:

Here is the finished duck prosciutto (front centre) on a tray with purchased lonza, bresaola, parma prosciutto and soppressata that I put out at my new years party:

Served with cheese tray containing buffalo milk semi soft cheese, apricot stilton, smokey blue cheese, grey owl, 10 yr old cheddar, cranberry peppercorn compote.

Jesus, I want to go to your parties.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
And now... we wait. I've got 2.5 lbs of bacon a' makin in my fridge. I followed the recipe on the front page, just halved the seasonings.

With the exception of bacon, I've never really had pork belly before. I cut off a few big chunks, salted them, and fried them in my cast iron with some oil. Absurdly tasty. :swoon:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, went and found some "pork side meat" at the local butchery-place. All they had was frozen :\
$4.89/lb seems absurdly pricey, especially when their own fantastic in-house bacon is $5.69/lb. I got a hunk anyway, we'll see how it comes out, it's thawing now.

There's a specialty meat wholesaler down near where I work, I may have to talk to them. Even if they make me buy 25lbs at a time, I can freeze some and bacon it up in chunks.

ooh, actually they've updated their site, they list

BSP53719 Skinless Sheet Bellies 5/Box

Is that 5 bellies per box or 5lb boxes, do you think?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Garregus posted:

tomorrow the pastrami comes out, 2 days later the corned beef. Or maybe the other way around I cannot remember. I blew through three breasts of the proscuitto in a week or two here, people loving love it. I think the cure needs pepper though, or maybe some citrus.

I use white pepper for my duck. It adds an awesome flavor to the finished product. I have debated adding ginger powder as well as dried orange zest. Maybe next time.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, went and found some "pork side meat" at the local butchery-place. All they had was frozen :\
$4.89/lb seems absurdly pricey, especially when their own fantastic in-house bacon is $5.69/lb. I got a hunk anyway, we'll see how it comes out, it's thawing now.

There's a specialty meat wholesaler down near where I work, I may have to talk to them. Even if they make me buy 25lbs at a time, I can freeze some and bacon it up in chunks.

ooh, actually they've updated their site, they list

BSP53719 Skinless Sheet Bellies 5/Box

Is that 5 bellies per box or 5lb boxes, do you think?

Typically (when I worked for Costco in the meat dept/deli) this was a qty per box. Also, 5lbs is probably less than a single belly.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Ordered my first belly today from a local ham manufacturer. I have to order it a few days in advance and pick it up in a neighboring town, but it looks like it's relatively cheap ($2.29/lb), so no big deal. REALLY looking forward to throwing a variety of cures at it and seeing how they turn out!

In the meantime, I bought a pound of jowl bacon from a local butcher, and at the suggestion of a friend, candied the strips with a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup, a splash of rum, and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. What it produced was a caramely, salty, sweet, and slightly spicy slice of heaven. Freakin' delicous. What really strikes me as different from belly bacon is - and I realize this sounds like a weird word to use in reference to bacon - it seems creamier. Probably because it's basically a big strip of fat with occasional meat, but the fat is also not quite so rubbery as what I'm used to with belly bacon. It's much easier to chew through. Good stuff. Unfortunately, the ham people I'm getting the belly from don't sell jowls for some reason. They must raise headless pigs, I guess?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

nominal posted:

Ordered my first belly today from a local ham manufacturer. I have to order it a few days in advance and pick it up in a neighboring town, but it looks like it's relatively cheap ($2.29/lb), so no big deal. REALLY looking forward to throwing a variety of cures at it and seeing how they turn out!

In the meantime, I bought a pound of jowl bacon from a local butcher, and at the suggestion of a friend, candied the strips with a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup, a splash of rum, and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. What it produced was a caramely, salty, sweet, and slightly spicy slice of heaven. Freakin' delicous. What really strikes me as different from belly bacon is - and I realize this sounds like a weird word to use in reference to bacon - it seems creamier. Probably because it's basically a big strip of fat with occasional meat, but the fat is also not quite so rubbery as what I'm used to with belly bacon. It's much easier to chew through. Good stuff. Unfortunately, the ham people I'm getting the belly from don't sell jowls for some reason. They must raise headless pigs, I guess?

Did you order it from Ossian? They have the best price on belly that we've found here in Fort Wayne. P.S. Brian and I just got two 3lb jowls. Jowl bacon and guanciale time!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my first 'dry cured' meat is dry curing. about 3lbs of berkshire pork belly came out of the cure yesterday, gave it a longgg rinse, wrapped it double in cheesecloth, and put it in my 'cheese/meat' cave - a converted 8 bottle countertop wine cellar. I have the temp at 62, and a hydrometer which says my conditions are between 62-80% humidity. I have a small ramekin of water sitting in there, and I mist into the cheese cave with a spritz bottle full of a starsan solution every day.

hope this works - if it turns out half as good as that loving duck ham, it's gonna be tops.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Huge_Midget posted:

Did you order it from Ossian? They have the best price on belly that we've found here in Fort Wayne. P.S. Brian and I just got two 3lb jowls. Jowl bacon and guanciale time!

Count me in as curious too. $4.00 per pound at Jamison's is too much to pay, but I didn't really know where else to look, unless I wanted to buy a whole hog for which I don't have freezer space.

EDIT: I should mention I've got my first bacon cooking in the oven right now. I cured it with the basic cure and added in pepper, maple syrup, juniper berries and for the hell of it, a vanilla bean plus its scrapings. We'll see how it went in a couple of hours.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 29, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

my first 'dry cured' meat is dry curing. about 3lbs of berkshire pork belly came out of the cure yesterday, gave it a longgg rinse, wrapped it double in cheesecloth, and put it in my 'cheese/meat' cave - a converted 8 bottle countertop wine cellar. I have the temp at 62, and a hydrometer which says my conditions are between 62-80% humidity. I have a small ramekin of water sitting in there, and I mist into the cheese cave with a spritz bottle full of a starsan solution every day.

hope this works - if it turns out half as good as that loving duck ham, it's gonna be tops.

My first slab pancetta was mind blowing. I need to find a better source of pork though. Time to find another farm! Although it will be easier if the wife and I get this 7 acres we are looking at. I will raise my own drat pigs.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Meaty Ore posted:

Count me in as curious too. $4.00 per pound at Jamison's is too much to pay, but I didn't really know where else to look, unless I wanted to buy a whole hog for which I don't have freezer space.

Yep, Ossian. I do love Jamison's for most meats, but for a big slab of pork belly the price is much better. Also, I've had their product before and can vouch for it's deliciousness. Ever tried Hills Meat Market in Waynedale, as well? I doubt they can match Ossian's price for pork belly, but I did really like their prices on a lot of their other meats. Also, they occasionally have jowl bacon. So does Pio Market on State St (also Pio has decent prices on ground lamb in addition to some awesome shortribs).

e: Hi-five, three Fort Wayne meat goons in one thread! So, which one of you guys wants to rent out some smoker space?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I don't know what the gently caress I got sold. It's proper bacon-y pork bellyish on one end mostly except for an entire quarter of it that is just fat, no lean on it whatsoever. The other end is a mess, where the belly ends is a very thick section of that sort of fluffy fat and then just straight lean pork. The whole thing is about 3 inches thick on one end and it tapers down to practically nothing at the other end. Skin still on it, too. There's no way to get more than about a half a pound of proper bacon out of this and I don't know wtf you would do with the rest of it. What a loving mess, I don't know what to do with this, I just chucked it back into the fridge in a fury.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 31, 2012

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
It's people. It's made of people.

Go easy on the salt.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So I don't know what the gently caress I got sold. It's proper bacon-y pork bellyish on one end mostly except for an entire quarter of it that is just fat, no lean on it whatsoever. The other end is a mess, where the belly ends is a very thick section of that sort of fluffy fat and then just straight lean pork. The whole thing is about 3 inches thick on one end and it tapers down to practically nothing at the other end. Skin still on it, too. There's no way to get more than about a half a pound of proper bacon out of this and I don't know wtf you would do with the rest of it. What a loving mess, I don't know what to do with this, I just chucked it back into the fridge in a fury.

Smokey lean meats are good for flavoring soups and dishes when cubed. So are smokey fats. Dice that poo poo up fine and toss it in a picadillo or split pea soup. Are you really telling me you have no idea what to do with salty, smokey fat?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pfhreak posted:

Smokey lean meats are good for flavoring soups and dishes when cubed. So are smokey fats. Dice that poo poo up fine and toss it in a picadillo or split pea soup. Are you really telling me you have no idea what to do with salty, smokey fat?

I want Bacon :\

I know, there's no bad pork fat, but I am disappointed that this is now a salvage operation when I explicitly told the butcher what I was planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I want Bacon :\

I know, there's no bad pork fat, but I am disappointed that this is now a salvage operation when I explicitly told the butcher what I was planning.

So slice it and cook it like bacon. It'll still be delicious.

• Locked thread