Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

dms666 posted:

Did a batch of bacon over the weekend, 100 lbs total. Here it is after 8 hours of cold smoke, did another 8 hours the next day too.

I would like to buy some if you would sell any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting some kind of curing fridge where I could do more raw curing like pancetta, coppa, salami or whatever. Do any of you have something like this, or have any of you looked into it?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I use a wine fridge, and have successfully done lonza in it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Stringent posted:

I've been wanting some kind of curing fridge where I could do more raw curing like pancetta, coppa, salami or whatever. Do any of you have something like this, or have any of you looked into it?

This was posted on the previous page (eleven posts ago.)

holttho posted:

It's probably been gone over, but it's simple enough.

Ideally what you want is something that is cellar temperature with moderate humidity. (a traditional cellar would be a fairly humid place, so it worked out nicely for them.) Different recipes can call for different conditions, but 60F at 60% humidity is a decent place to be.

The easiest/cheapest way to do this is to just put your meat in a large cardboard box with a large pan of ice in it. You'll have to replace the ice daily, but the setup costs basically nothing. :1bux:

Moving up the scale would be to get a wine fridge. They can get warmer than standard mini-fridges, have a larger, more usable space, and have a nice clear window. Set it to temp and put a pan of water in the bottom with a sponge in it. :10bux:

If you wanted to get really fancy, they make little humidifiers that you can place in there. They usually sell them for humidors, though they'll work here as well. :20bux:

There are also wine fridges with humidifiers in them, but :20bux: :20bux:

And finally, there is a kickstarter for a meat-aging fridge, which has everything you would ever want (except the ability to hold onto disposable income) :10bux: :20bux: :homebrew: :20bux: :10bux:.

But, the cheapest and easiest method of all (and the method I use) is to just drape a damp paper towel/cheesecloth over your curing product for the first week or so. Just re-damp it every day and it works great. Just don't let it dry on there or you'll be cutting off spots of welded-on-cloth. :zerobux:

I have a http://www.steaklocker.com on the way as I backed mentioned kickstarter.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bone_Enterprise posted:

This was posted on the previous page (eleven posts ago.)

I have a http://www.steaklocker.com on the way as I backed mentioned kickstarter.

Thanks, dunno how I missed that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone know a good site to order some charcuterie on?

Also, I am trying to find some easy stuff to make at home. I see that rillettes are pretty simple, any other easy to make things that don't require exotic machinery/methods ha.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

goodness posted:

Anyone know a good site to order some charcuterie on?

Also, I am trying to find some easy stuff to make at home. I see that rillettes are pretty simple, any other easy to make things that don't require exotic machinery/methods ha.

Duck prosciutto and confit are both easy. So are pâtés. If you live in an area with appropriate weather a ham, lonzino, or bresaola can be done though they are safer with pink salt #2.

Bacon and corned beef are both good beginner friendly cures too

Chicken liver pâté is seriously stupid easy though.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 6, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Duck prosciutto and confit are both easy. So are pâtés. If you live in an area with appropriate weather a ham, lonzino, or bresaola can be done though they are safer with pink salt #2.

Bacon and corned beef are both good beginner friendly cures too

Chicken liver pâté is seriously stupid easy though.

I live in Arkansas, I don't know what kind of weather I need for that.

Got a recipe/link for the chicken liver pate?

And for the duck prosciutto/confit, are frozen duck breasts fine?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

goodness posted:

I live in Arkansas, I don't know what kind of weather I need for that.

Got a recipe/link for the chicken liver pate?

And for the duck prosciutto/confit, are frozen duck breasts fine?

pate: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015975-chicken-liver-pate

confit you want to do with leg quarters. prosciutto can be done with frozen breasts just fine. http://ruhlman.com/2009/03/duck-prosciutto/
http://stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/hcc-1-duck-confit

You can also do pork belly confit and it is awesome.
http://leitesculinaria.com/5723/recipes-pork-belly-confit.html

re: weather, as per: https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/458/458-223/458-223.html

quote:

Early December is the best time to start curing Virginia-style hams under ambient conditions. During the curing period, keep hams at a temperature of 36 to 40° F.

A full blown ham is admittedly a pretty ridiculous first charcuterie project though.

There are a lot of good recipes here, too. It's probably one of my favorite food blogs:
http://frombellytobacon.com/category/charcuterie/

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

GrAviTy84 posted:

A full blown ham is admittedly a pretty ridiculous first charcuterie project though.

There are a lot of good recipes here, too. It's probably one of my favorite food blogs:
http://frombellytobacon.com/category/charcuterie/

A whole ham was the third curing project I tried, after some bacon and a corned beef brisket. I would recommend a wet cure if it's somebody's first time doing a ham--it's similar to curing a corned beef, but with a (much) larger cut of meat. I managed to smoke mine on a Weber grill and it came out marvelously.

Took goddamn near forever though.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 6, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

A whole ham was the third curing project I tried, after some bacon and a corned beef brisket. I would recommend a wet cure if it's somebody's first time doing a ham--it's similar to curing a corned beef, but with a (much) larger cut of meat. I managed to smoke mine on a Weber grill and it came out marvelously.

I don't have a smoker yet so that is the only thing holding me back from some things. I know bacon for instance does not need to be smoked but it seems to be a lot better if it is?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

goodness posted:

I don't have a smoker yet so that is the only thing holding me back from some things. I know bacon for instance does not need to be smoked but it seems to be a lot better if it is?

you can do it in the oven, it's still worlds better than packaged storebought stuff. Really the only thing you need special tools to make in charcuterie land are sausages and even some dont need grinders and stuffers, specifically capicola/coppa which is just chunks of meat stuffed into middles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any recommendations for something that can be made from a pork shoulder? I can get those super cheap but the only pork bellies I can find around here sell for >$7-8 per lb which is more than most of the good steak cuts.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That Works posted:

Any recommendations for something that can be made from a pork shoulder? I can get those super cheap but the only pork bellies I can find around here sell for >$7-8 per lb which is more than most of the good steak cuts.

Shoulder is kind of the bread and butter of a lot of charcuterie. It's the base for a lot of different sausages both dried and fresh, they make great rillettes, I've made bacon with it (slice it into belly sized slabs before curing, technically called "cottage bacon"), and of course a whole shoulder is what makes a ham.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Shoulder is kind of the bread and butter of a lot of charcuterie. It's the base for a lot of different sausages both dried and fresh, they make great rillettes, I've made bacon with it (slice it into belly sized slabs before curing, technically called "cottage bacon"), and of course a whole shoulder is what makes a ham.

Thanks! Will read up on cottage bacon. Not interested in tackling a ham yet

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
For some odd reason, I cannot find cheesecloth or butcher's twine where I live. Not at grocer's, not at the restaurant supply store, and not even at the butcher's. I'm assuming I can just use any old string or a metal hook to hang meat, but is there anything I can use in place of cheesecloth?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

For some odd reason, I cannot find cheesecloth or butcher's twine where I live. Not at grocer's, not at the restaurant supply store, and not even at the butcher's. I'm assuming I can just use any old string or a metal hook to hang meat, but is there anything I can use in place of cheesecloth?

Can you not order it online? Otherwise, hardware stores will have it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Appl posted:

Can you not order it online? Otherwise, hardware stores will have it.

I could order it, but it's a pain in the rear end, I'd rather just get it locally if I can.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Well I made chicken liver pate just now, currently cooling for the next couple of hours. Got some French bread and blueberry preserve to try it with (couldn't find any good jams at the grocery).

It was an interesting experience for sure. First time cooking with livers so I hope I trimmed/cleaned them alright. Also didn't have any wine but I put a little balsamic vinegar in. Can't wait to try it out tonight!

edit: Well its pretty livery, was excited for my gf to try but she wouldn't like it now. Maybe I need more shallots/thyme and I am sure the wine would have helped mellow that a bit.

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 7, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I could order it, but it's a pain in the rear end, I'd rather just get it locally if I can.

You got a Dollar General in the area? They always have that stuff, and canning supplies. Particularly in the more rural markets.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Do you have a smart and final? They have both there.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
How is ordering something from Amazon a pain in the rear end? There's no way it requires more effort than going to the store.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It's a pain in the rear end in that my landlord can't/won't label the apartments/entrances on the house I live in for poo poo, and so everything I order online ends up at the wrong apartment, or sometimes at the wrong drat house, or sometimes back at FedEx/UPS/USPS, so it's always a treasure hunt to find out where poo poo actually got delivered to. If I'm going to the store anyway, I can just look or ask while I'm there.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's a pain in the rear end in that my landlord can't/won't label the apartments/entrances on the house I live in for poo poo, and so everything I order online ends up at the wrong apartment, or sometimes at the wrong drat house, or sometimes back at FedEx/UPS/USPS, so it's always a treasure hunt to find out where poo poo actually got delivered to. If I'm going to the store anyway, I can just look or ask while I'm there.

Can you send it to work by any chance?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Can you send it to work by any chance?

Afraid not :( I'll Probably end up ordering it in the end and dealing with it anyway though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

so this happened yesterday.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

so this happened yesterday.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Elephant charcuterie?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
No it's one of those blob fish that look like a deflated Ziggy cartoon.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Some friends have said they're having a potluck "sometime before Christmas" so I made some duck confit to have ready, and now it's sitting in my fridge and I can't eat any of it. It is the ultimate test of will.

(Also, so I found some cheesecloth rolling pin covers at the local fleet and farm store, which look like they'll be perfect for converting those lovely duck breasts into prosciutto. Hooray!)

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I just bought Ruhlman's Charcuterie for my uncle for Christmas. There's a really nice spice shop near here that does gift tins of 6-8 spices/herbs/salts so I figured that would go well with the book. What spices would be most practical for starting out with charcuterie? I was thinking peppercorns, maybe fennel or mustard seed? Thanks for any suggestions.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Carbon Thief posted:

I just bought Ruhlman's Charcuterie for my uncle for Christmas. There's a really nice spice shop near here that does gift tins of 6-8 spices/herbs/salts so I figured that would go well with the book. What spices would be most practical for starting out with charcuterie? I was thinking peppercorns, maybe fennel or mustard seed? Thanks for any suggestions.

quatre epices (pepper, clove, nutmeg, ginger) is used in a lot of french charcuterie. fennel is good, too.

I'd get him some DQ #1 though, he's probably going to want it for a lot of different things.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone want to make some bacon and something else that is easily sendable? I'm looking for something awesome to buy for my dad and don't have the time with finals/moving to get anything done.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

GrAviTy84 posted:

quatre epices (pepper, clove, nutmeg, ginger) is used in a lot of french charcuterie. fennel is good, too.

I'd get him some DQ #1 though, he's probably going to want it for a lot of different things.

I have been searching all over the city for curing salt since I bought the book. So far it looks like I can get "Instacure" (1% sodium nitrite) or Morton's TenderQuick, but not the usual 6.25% nitrate "pink salt". I'm in Canada, or I'd order it from Amazon. Assuming I don't find pink salt in time, which would be the better choice, Morton's or Instacure?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Last week I started my first attempt at duck breast prosciutto. I've had it hanging in cheesecloth for 7 days and I realize I forgot to weigh it before. When the recipe says that it is down when it's firm, how firm are we talking? Right now it's definitely more firm than raw but there's still some give in the middle.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone have a good rilletes recipe?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

goodness posted:

Anyone have a good rilletes recipe?

I do mine with pork belly. It's pretty easy.

I take. 3-5 lbs slab of skinless belly and braise it in white wine and garlic for 4 hours tightly wrapped at about 350. Pull it and remove the belly and let it cool down.

Chop it up (I cut it with the grain to keep long strands intact) and put it in a kitchenaid in batches with the paddle mixer on low until it's fully shredded. Then I return it to a pot on low heat until the fat reliquifies. I pull out the shredded pieces and season it to taste with salt and pepper, then stuff it in jars and cover it with the fat.

You want it shredded and fatty. Not puréed. It spreads like butter at room temp.

Edit: when I say tightly wrapped I mean the foil is tight on the pan, not wrapping the actual belly.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2014

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

holttho posted:

That is a titanic amount of goodness. What do you do with it all? Eat/gift/sell? Do you prefer cold smoke over warm/hot? I haven't tried to cold smoke mine, is there a texture difference? A difference in how it cooks/fries?

I keep ~5lbs for myself, give a little away to family, and the rest is sold to friends. Yeah I like cold smoking better, it allows you to get a more smokey flavor without having to pull it after a couple hours when hot smoking it. It will take long to fry because it is still raw instead of just quickly crisping up the already hot smoked bacon.

and sorry whoever it was that wanted to buy any, it is already all sold/delivered and I've never tried to ship any before.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone here tried making their own salo/lardo? How did it go?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Shot a couple antelope back in October, finally got around to trying to make some sausage. I winged the recipe, I guess it's merguez inspired, heavy on garlic, hot smoked paprika, shallot, red pepper flake, coriander. Smoked them today to take to a party tonight.

Didn't have any pink salt, but I've ordered some for next time. Will the pink salt help to firm up the texture of the sausage some? If not, what will? It's goddamn delicious, but the texture is a bit grainy I guess. Overmixed before stuffing maybe?

I also got a copy of Charcuterie for xmas so the next batch I'm going to do strictly by the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Grainy texture sounds like more a product of not enough fat, or it could be you are cooking it at a texture to render out the fat. Pink salt is only necessary if you are going to cold smoke the sausage or hanging up to air dry. I'm not sure if it'll have a huge effect on texture, especially on a sausage.

• Locked thread