Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I'm picking up pork belly and duck breast tomorrow to make bacon and prosciutto, my first time curing meat! However, I can't find curing salt anywhere. Assuming the butcher I'm getting my meat from doesn't have it (I don't know), it seems that these recipes are alright to do without it? Can someone clarify for me, please?

Also, the pork belly is coming with the skin on it, does this stay on or do I cut it up and fry it or something?

EDIT: Ah, I see people cut the skin off after taking it out of the oven (I'm in an aparment, so no smoker), but what should I do with the skin after that?

Skavoovee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I started my duck breast prosciutto last night, but the recipe I ended up printing out didn't mention scoring the skin on the breast. Should I leave it in the salt for a little longer than 24 hours since it won't have that extra flavoring, or will it really not matter in the end?

Also, I asked for 2 breasts and ended up getting 2 whole breasts, aka 4 pieces of breast. I ended up doing 2 normally, but put some paprika and rosemary on the 3rd and black pepper on the other. I rubbed the spices into each side before putting in the salt. I'm hoping they'll turn out good, especially the rosemary/paprika.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
One day left until my bacon is done, and a day after that for the duck breast prosciutto! I'm so excited to try these, I hope I didn't gently caress up something.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Is the duck breast prosciutto good to eat after taking it down, or does it need to be cooked with heat? It seems to taste fine, but no recipe I've found has talked about it so I'm being paranoid.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Thanks! I was pretty sure, but didn't want to just cram potentially raw meat into my mouth.

• Locked thread