Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This thread has inspired me! I've got the OP's recipe curing in my fridge right now. Babby's first bacon. I've never cured meat before so I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

In my rub, I'm using Maple Syrup and some Tennessee Whiskey.

I went hog wild (ha ha) and bought three pork bellies at my local Asian market. But apparently they don't cure meat in the Appalachian Mountains anymore because none of my local food stores or supermarkets had any curing salt. I had to travel two towns over to get my hands on some Morton's Tender Quick, which was the closest thing I could find to the pink stuff.

The ingredients on the package say it's salt, sugar, and potassium nitrate, so I hope it works okay. Every source I've looked at says I should just use it as I normally would use it in a recipe, so I'm doing that and crossing my fingers.

I hope it turns out okay. If I can give my dad a slab of homemade bacon for Christmas I think it'd pretty much be the most ballin' gift ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Bacon experiment was a huge success!

This stuff is amazing! And I thought store-bought bacon tasted good! It's nothing compared to this. I can't believe how easy it was to do!

I put whiskey in the cure rub, and while you can really taste it, but it doesn't overpower the bacon flavor. The bacon grease has a hint of whiskey in it, which is awesome for toasting bread for sandwiches.

I'm sold. From now on, it's homemade bacon all the way.

• Locked thread