Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Those pictures of the soppressata and duck breast prosciutto in the OP look awfully familiar ;).

If anyone wants to see my photo tutorials for those and also for peperone, they are up on my blog. The link is in my profile. Peperone, soppressata and pancetta are from April 2011, and duck breast prosciutto I actually just got around to posting about earlier this week.

I'm totally with the OP on vacuum sealing stuff for long-term storage. The dried sausages kept really well that way.

Now that it's cooled down and my basement closet is back to perfect meat-curing temperature, my next project is the bresaola from Ruhlman's book. I'm also just getting ready to start another batch of the soppressata because it was such a hit with friends, family, and boss.

Can't wait until the closet is filled like this again. (Well, it should look a little better since I have proper meat hooks now.):

I really want to make my own sausages some time, though I plan to use a smoker, which I don't have (yet). Really want to make andouille, since I can't find it here in finland.

BTW that post and avatar combo makes me wonder what those sausages are made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK I'm going to cure my first meat ever, making pastrami and the first step is making corned beef. Got 3 more or less evenly sized bits and one insanely stuffed cat from trimming this thing:

I used the recipes and calculators on amazingribs.com for the brine cure. He says not to stack meat because it works to double the thickness of the meat essentially, but I got this plastic spacer thing actually meant to go on the bottom that I put between two of the pieces that should allow water to flow freely. Although now the lowest piece of meat sits against the bottom. I dunno should I just flip it around every day or put something underneath to allow the brine to flow around it evenly?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

In retrospect I didn't like that home made bacon as much as the usual stuff. Just not salty enough. Most US based internet recipes I have tried seem to have been a lot less salty than traditional Finnish cold smoked charcuterie, not that I have any recipes to compare, only going by taste. I have been going to amazingribs.com for recipes but maybe not in the future

• Locked thread