Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/barbecues/charcoal/one-touch-original/

So I have something similar to this, I want to make bacon and maybe more. I probably have to order specific woods for flavour online so assume standard coals etc. What kind of thermometer and how much effort do I need to put into paying attention to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Going to convince my parents to get a smoker with me. I assume electric are easier because you just set the temperature and then it burns whatever you're smoking with?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks mindphlux, will almost certainly be able to get my parents to either buy one or split the cost with me. I can't wait for home made loving everything in a smoker.

For those who smoke in the UK, do you have a good source of different woods for smoking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can anyone in the UK recommend good second hand smokers if possible? Think I might have enough money to pay for one soon and my dads birthday is coming up. New if they're cheap/decent quality. Electric would be best though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My dads birthday is coming up and my mum is pretty stuck. Discussed a smoker and I've found this http://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/acatalog/Brinkmann_Smoke_n_Grill.html which seems pretty similar to what I was linked earlier in the thread. Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations etc so I can let her know?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Electric certainly seems easier but finding one in the UK that isn't incredibly expensive is proving hard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My mum has got my dad a smoker for his birthday. Can't loving wait. As much as I want it I know he'll love it and it was my idea so....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My dads just built the smoker after opening it for his birthday 20 minutes ago. He's very happy. Can't wait to eat some smoked food

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pork shoulder is currently very cheap locally. My dads smoker is currently unused and this seems a good thing to test out. Does anyone have a good rub/smoking time/temp for giving it a go?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Following the cure for bacon from here http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Does it matter if I remove the sugar? I don't want to make sweet cure bacon and unless the sugar is necessary would prefer to completely remove it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got some pork loin which I intend to cure and smoke. Not really knowing the cuts of pork, what is traditionally back bacon and what will I end up with using loin, since I'm expecting it won't be bacon?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is the loin to be cured.

The first part of the cure, 3 tablespoons of black pepper coarsely ground in a pestle and mortar with 4 bayleaves.

This is the full cure, with 40 grams of curing salt and 30 grams of normal salt and a load of sprigs of thyme.

This is the loin covered in the cure. I'll take it out the fridge once a day and rub it to make sure it stays evenly covered. Going to smoke it next weekend.

Think I might have used too much salt, but its my first time making bacon so some hiccups are expected. Can't wait to smoke this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Should I be concerned or do anything about all of the water that curing the loin has pulled out of the meat into the container I'm keeping it in?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just smoked the pork loin I had curing for a week. 2 hours at between 150-200F. The meat thermometer I used showed a far higher temperature than either of those though and I'm worried I might have just completely cooked it.

Edit: seems the meat thermometer I was using is broken

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got some more pork to cure for bacon, but lack the charcoal needed for smoking it and nowhere is selling it since its winter. Do I need to do anything after I finish curing it?

Also, I asked in the general thread but didn't receive an answer. I'm looking into buying a meat slicer, anything I should look for in particular? I was thinking of trying to find a used commercial slicer on ebay

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to do that. I'm also interested in the flavour difference between smoked and non-smoked bacon I make myself is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How can I make pastrami? Its not very common in England and usually expensive when it can be bought

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I've stuck some brisket into Ruhlman's corned beef brine today. I'm using half the beef/water/salt. I assume this is safe. Thought I'd check. I massively overused the pickling spice though. I doubt I will care.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When my brisket has finished curing, should I still boil it for the 3 hours Ruhlman calls for? Seeing as how it only weighs around 2.2lbs instead of 5 in the recipe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My corned beef is ready on wednesday and I'm intending to use it mainly for sandwiches for work. If I eat it hot though what is traditional for a full meal?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've just put my brisket in to boil for corned beef. I'm a bit concerned it wasn't a uniform colour. It was pinkish near the bottom but somewhat brown at the top. It was in the brine in the fridge but I didn't have the brine in an airtight container, just a bowl with clingfilm over the top. Does this matter?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doing that only occurred to me today. Didn't notice any green but the smell of the brine was sufficiently strong it would have had to be really bad for me to notice. The only bit of the beef not completely submerged was a little bit of the fat at the top. Almost everything else was completely soaked the entire time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It had come out the boil a nice shade of pink. Not as bright as I've seen in photos but it is looking good. Going to make some amazing sandwiches tomorrow.

It looks really good but I may have overdone the cloves in the brine/boil as they're by far the dominant flavour. Not the end of the world though

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 28, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Abobo posted:

Do some types of meat take brining better than others? I'm starting to worry my palate is blown out or something: I recently tried Ruhlman's corned beef recipe, but used a hunk of pork shoulder instead because I happened to have it on hand. It spent almost 5 days in the brine, then got boiled until tender. Despite soaking in the brine for that long, the meat ended up being pretty bland and I actually need to salt each serving for it to taste good, and the typical corned beef flavour is barely there; almost none of the aroma or flavour from the brining spices came through :(

I followed his guide mostly as well, although cut the salt since I had less water and ended up using far more pickling spice than listed. The beef wasn't salty in the slightest after boiling and mostly tasted of cloves and nothing else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The stuff I bought came with instructions of 25g per 1kg of meat. I've tended to use a little more than that though for no real reason other than being lazy when measuring it out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its 0.4-0.6% nitrite if that helps any more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How long did you roast it for? Maybe boiling it for 30 minutes or so and then roasting it the rest of the way is the best method?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.designasausage.com/pages/prods.asp?catid=2&subcatid=31

This is where I get mine for making bacon. Also has weight guide lines for curing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Unless storage is an issue do whichever will be cheapest long term. I mean its salt, its not going to go bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shine posted:

This seems like it could become addictive.

Its amazing how easy and cheap it is. I'd never considered it before this thread and all bacon is home made now. I need to start branching out more and want to make pastrami but what gets sold as brisket in the UK is different to every picture I've seen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You should all just start using pork loin for bacon instead of getting mostly fat in your bacon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pork loin will make back bacon. Should just need to ask for that or find it pre-butchered at a supermarket or whatever. When I buy it at least it I can just get it off a shelf and it also comes without skin

I generally can't taste much difference between streaky or back bacon I've made so I go with the back bacon. I find the cure is far more important.

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its not necessary to use the oven if you can't smoke it. It'll stay in the fridge for a while regardless because of the curing so once its out of the cure you can slice and fry as needed. Smoking it makes a massive difference to the flavour though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cooking it will almost certainly make it last longer. Other than that I can't help you. Its perfectly ready to fry/freeze after curing. I'd recommend it personally if its not being smoked since you're not gaining anything otherwise. You can just fry it to however well you like bacon done. You'll also gain more out of aromatics in the cure since they won't be quite so overpowered by the smoke

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I only use curing salt for it instead of a curing/sea salt mix or whatever and when I bought it the instructions were for 250g per 10kg of meat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

yes

sorry bro, I like you as a poster, but this is not true. sodium nitrite definitely affects flavor, it gives everything it touches that 'hammy' flavor.

just as a lesson in sodium nitrite, try dredging some chicken legs in two different cures - one with sodium nitrite, and one without - then go rinse them off and grill them after 4-6 hours.

I frequently use chicken/turkey in place of pork in places I'd normally use smoked ham hocks (like collard greens, jambalaya, etc) because my girl doesn't eat pork. figuring out that sodium nitrite could give me that same hammy taste was a godsend. (CANT HAVE GREENS WITHOUT HAMMY SMOKEY MEAT GODDAMNIT GIRL)

I'm repeating myself but I've given you curing salt safe weights of 250g of salt per 10kg of meat. Start with that and then add as you want. I personally prefer a bit more salt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I feel I should add that this was UK bought curing salt that isn't pink but is 0.4-6% sodium nitrite

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I made Rhulman's corned beef once but I think boiling it the full 3 hours was a mistake. I want to try again but roast it for half the cooking time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Toast posted:

Going to do the corned beef tonight, anyone have any particular recommendations for spicing over and above the pickling spice?

I used too many cloves and after boiling all the salt got boiled out and it tasted awfully strongly of cloves. So don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

After roasting pork loin with fennel and chilli loads of times I finally remembered to use those in my cure. I'm out of garlic though so it was just curing salt, black pepper, chilli flakes and fennel seeds ground in a mortar and pestle. I saw on TV someone had cured using beetroot and wonder how its done. Other than just throwing beetroot chopped in with the salt.

• Locked thread