Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have tips on how to get more flavour into the bacon from the cure? The chilli and fennel I added to my cure don't really seem to have made much difference. Is this always likely to be the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The salt didn't overpower it, it was more that the chilli and fennel flavour just wasn't there. I used a tablespoon of fennel seeds bashed up a bit using a pestle and mortar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since you're in the UK, what did your brisket look like when you bought it? What I see as brisket looks really different to the US cut. Assuming you used brisket anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you can't find belly use pork loin and make back bacon. People say that belly tastes better because of the fat but I find that the cure is way more important and they both taste the same. Belly is better if you're going to render out the fat to fry the rest of a meal in but most loin I buy tends to have a good hunk of fat on the top that you can fry first.

It'll probably be more expensive but it goes on sale fairly regularly where I am in England and it still works out about the same price as normal bacon when its not on sale.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a brisket to make pastrami with and was wondering how long I should leave it in the brine? Ruhlman only recommends 2-3 days but that seems a bit short. I'm only going to have the time to cook it at a weekend so would it be a mistake to brine it for a week and brine it on saturday or is that a mistake and I should brine it tonight to smoke it for sunday?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

To add to that, what sort of conditions are necessary for hanging? I wonder if my garage would be suitable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bunnielab posted:

The savory one came out great in both form and flavor. The sweet one is disappointing in both aspects. I think this confirms that I dont really like sweet bacon.

I've never seen the point in sweet bacon, but in England its not particularly common. I mean you can buy sweet cure bacon in shops but there is very little difference, just like smoked and unsmoked. The difference between curing my own and smoking it is so huge its unbelievable considering its at worst as expensive as the best quality bacon in shops

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've not really noticed a difference but from what I've learned with GWS is that I'm really lazy/careless about kitchen hygeine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've put all the bacon I've made that finished curing a few days ago in the freezer because my fridge has broken (even though its above the freezer which works fine weirdly) but I was wondering how long it would realistically last had I not. The inside of the fridge had reached 14C

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

For what its worth I usually cure using just curing/pink salt and no normal salt. It only needs around 10g per 1kg of meat according to the place i buy the salt from although I sometimes use 5-10g on top of that since a couple of times I've had a patch that didn't look cured in the middle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

holttho posted:

This is fine for bacon as the bacon we are making here is not a preserved product, but do not attempt for dry cure items unless explicitly told to do so. Either that or you or someone coaching you has extensive knowledge of no-salt preserving. Otherwise, best case scenario is you at least will see what's growing on your food. Worst case is that you won't...

This was just for bacon but I had assumed it was fine for any other curing since we were using curing salt. Thanks for the warning though I'll follow instructions strictly if it requires hanging for a longer cure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

All of this pork belly bacon is like 60%+ fat and little meat. You all need to get on curing pork loin for back bacon instead. The taste is all in the cure and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. You get so much more meat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone got a good salt beef recipe? Charcuterie only has corned beef/pastrami that I can see and all the salt beef I've bought is pretty different to it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I was curing some bacon before becoming ill and forgetting about it. I've had to throw it away after about 2 weeks in the cure since it was a pretty horrible shade of green in places. Any reason that it went off by staying in the cure when it would likely have been fine otherwise?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

holttho posted:

Was it a metallic shade of green? If it was, it could just be an oxidization reaction with the myoglobin in the meat. Same thing happens if you sous vide a piece of beef before searing it.

The other (more likely) problem was it just simply went rancid. Maybe too much air in the bag?

It smelled really, really bad so I tossed it. I pushed the air out the bag but wasn't particularly careful about it since its never been an issue before

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I use pork loin because its on sale all the time and all the belly seems to have very little meat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I get my curing salt from here http://www.designasausage.com/ and its uk based so I'd have thought they'd deliver to Ireland and I'd honestly just do that instead of loving around with what the butcher uses unless its ready to use as is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hanging also serves to dry it out so it lasts a lot longer afaik

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does someone have a baker's math recipe for bacon cure? I asked for a pork belly at the Asian market today and after some confusion ended up with a 9 pound belly.

Also what's a good price for pork belly these days? Tis was $4.59/lb which seems reasonable but really I have no idea.

The place I buy curing salt from calls for 10g of salt per 1kg of meat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is that what makes jack links have such a different texture to other jerky i've tried/made? Maybe I'll add some curing salt next time and not dry it so much and see how it turns out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol you should see the mouldy, maggot infested human leg someone posted

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

does it look anything like a human leg with a sock on the end

that post should be linked in the op

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

OP has been updated.

its a bit worrying how fast you found that post

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so i'm making a pork cheek stew tomorrow but when i ran out of stuff on the shelves i asked the supermarket butcher if they had any more. he bought out a full? cheek unpacked. it weighs 1.1kg and i'm going to use it for stew but was wondering if thats full size to make guanciale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gnaw chunks off the ham they give you like an animal imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:captainpop: gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

since your image is broken

thats a hell of a sandwich :eyepop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so hearing about nduja i ordered some off amazon. how long will it last in the fridge? forever?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how hard is it to convert a wine fridge into a charcuterie fridge that controls humidity?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mind linking all the things you bought?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

best way to get heat into my jerky? i can comfortably manage salty/sweet but i want some heat and other than putting cayenne powder on the finished stuff i've not had much luck getting the heat to penetrate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

would using alcohol in the marinade help? cooking the mix before adding the meat?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

time to buy some that seems jerky suitable since i'm not a whisky/bourbon drinker

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm in the UK i'll just buy aldi own brand

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Not exactly a charcuterie topic, but this seems like a good thread for this. Anybody ever experiment with making flavored salts? I recently stumbled upon a simple shallot salt recipe that I'm going to try but I'd be curious to try others.

i've not made this but i know chicken salt is common in australia

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/australian-chicken-salt/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How long does Nduja usually last for because amazon are selling a 3kg tub for £33 i'm tempted by

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i like how gws has gone from criticizing people for saying their steak is pink honest to this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pork loin makes better bacon imo the belly you can buy is way too fatty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thoughts on the best way to get some heat into beef jerky short of just sprinkling pepper flakes on it prior to drying it? I thought about adding some rum to the marinade but forgot and half a bottle of habanero tabasco isn't noticeable in the final product.

• Locked thread