Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I am curious, I am in the DC area too and was wondering how you determined your basement had the right level of humidity. Much to my wife's chagrin I plan on hanging some meat but not really certain if it is safe. My thought is if I can do it and she can taste the outcome she will not be so adverse to the idea.

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Now that it's cooled down and my basement closet is back to perfect meat-curing temperature, my next project is the bresaola from Ruhlman's book. I'm also just getting ready to start another batch of the soppressata because it was such a hit with friends, family, and boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

Patient Zer0 posted:

How much brine should I be seeing in my gallon bag? I followed the cure from Ruhlman's book and it covered my 4lb pork slab (Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey) but isnt producing much brine. I have a couple tablespoons worth and its been 4 days now. Should it be pulling enough out to submerge one entire side or am I doing okay?

My first time doing this at home did the same thing and the bacon was still wonderful. Just remember to keep overhauling it every other day.

When we have done this at work it produced massive amounts of liquid but it could be because at work we get high quality belly and I was dealing with god knows what from local bodega.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

If I had to guess the sugar would possibly do 3 things. 1)Add flavor, 2)Aid in crispiness via caramelization during cooking, 3)Aid in retaining water inside the tissue during brining since it is hydrophillic.

Removing it might be okay but I would think just reducing the amount sugar would be better.

Jose posted:

Following the cure for bacon from here http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Does it matter if I remove the sugar? I don't want to make sweet cure bacon and unless the sugar is necessary would prefer to completely remove it

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

Quick question do you also adjust hanging times if you are using much less protein than a recipe calls for?

• Locked thread