Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Ordered my first belly today from a local ham manufacturer. I have to order it a few days in advance and pick it up in a neighboring town, but it looks like it's relatively cheap ($2.29/lb), so no big deal. REALLY looking forward to throwing a variety of cures at it and seeing how they turn out!

In the meantime, I bought a pound of jowl bacon from a local butcher, and at the suggestion of a friend, candied the strips with a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup, a splash of rum, and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. What it produced was a caramely, salty, sweet, and slightly spicy slice of heaven. Freakin' delicous. What really strikes me as different from belly bacon is - and I realize this sounds like a weird word to use in reference to bacon - it seems creamier. Probably because it's basically a big strip of fat with occasional meat, but the fat is also not quite so rubbery as what I'm used to with belly bacon. It's much easier to chew through. Good stuff. Unfortunately, the ham people I'm getting the belly from don't sell jowls for some reason. They must raise headless pigs, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

Meaty Ore posted:

Count me in as curious too. $4.00 per pound at Jamison's is too much to pay, but I didn't really know where else to look, unless I wanted to buy a whole hog for which I don't have freezer space.

Yep, Ossian. I do love Jamison's for most meats, but for a big slab of pork belly the price is much better. Also, I've had their product before and can vouch for it's deliciousness. Ever tried Hills Meat Market in Waynedale, as well? I doubt they can match Ossian's price for pork belly, but I did really like their prices on a lot of their other meats. Also, they occasionally have jowl bacon. So does Pio Market on State St (also Pio has decent prices on ground lamb in addition to some awesome shortribs).

e: Hi-five, three Fort Wayne meat goons in one thread! So, which one of you guys wants to rent out some smoker space?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

dms666 posted:

It has been 1 week so far for my pancetta. I am going to probably going to give it 10 total days in there before I weigh it and see where it is at.

What's your curing chamber there? Did you find the wine fridge you'd mentioned looking for earlier in the thread? How's that working out for you? I'm currently weighing my curing options. I'd really like to do some dry-cured stuff by the end of the year.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

I see that there. posted:

Sorry for dredging the corned beef chat back up, but just to be clear, the pink salt IS optional when doing a 5-6 day brine? I understand that the color will be affected, but is there a large risk in NOT using it?

After the brine time, would you guys recommend any time spent drying, or go straight from brine, to rinse, to pot?

Quoth Ruhlman on his own blog: "i have brined beef without pink salt and you’re right, it works just fine. there is some flavor difference but the biggest difference is it looks like pot roast, not corned beef."

Personally, I wouldn't skip it. Pink salt is not particularly expensive and if I'm going to spend a week waiting to eat something, I'm not really going to skimp on anything. Also I love the color it imparts. I've never tried using regular salt, so I can't really speak to any possible flavor differences. Also I have a horrible attitude re: eating healthy, so if it's an issue with the potential unhealthiness of nitrites that are keeping you from using the curing salt, then that's probably one good reason why you might be better served to go ahead and follow your own instincts there.

As far as drying, for corned beef I'd just go from brine, to rinse, to pot. I don't think drying is really going to gain you anything unless you're trying to get a pellicle for smoke or crust to stick to.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Just moved into a house my GF bought with a root cellar built into it. Our housewarming gift was her family's old hand-crank sausage stuffer, and hand-crank grinder, cast iron and purchased new several generations ago, plus a butcher's block that they bolt in to and the old scale, bone saw, knives, and honing steel.

Also, there's a ranch about 7 miles from town that raises Mangalica pigs. We're going up to see the place on Monday and drive home with half a pig's worth of pork. At $3.50 a pound plus the butcher's fee, for bulk purchases I feel like it'd be criminal to get any less.

So jealous. That is a ridiculous price. Get that lard... I'd heard that Mangalitza fat was a whole other game, but didn't really believe it until I'd tried it. So light and creamy with none of that oiliness that I was expecting from... well, fat.

Please post pics of what you end up making!

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

djfooboo posted:

I can add to discussion by talking about my local meatery, Smoking Goose. Their gin and juice salame is the stuff of legends. I plan on taking on of their classes one day.

'Sup, Hoosiergoon! I really need to get down there. They've been doing lots of great stuff and just seem to have a great, open attitude in everything I've read. They're doing great things for local food, which Indiana really needs. Our country here is so drat fertile you'd think we'd be all over that sort of thing.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

Chemmy posted:

Here's a sandwich. All in all I'd say it came out ok. I might spend more time cooking it, and might cook it a little more done to break it down a bit. As a first try though it was a fun project and the sandwich was pretty good.
I like steaming mine for a long-rear end time. Unfortuantely, I usually go TOO long and it falls apart a little too much. But goddamn does it make for a good sandwich when you get it just right.

Also: makes fantastic hash

e: whoops I just replied to something, like, 100 posts ago. Still: that was good looking pastrami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
Thirding the Salt Cured Pig recommendation. In particular, follow it and check for events in your area, they're infrequent (and expensive) but are full of good, friendly, people who love feeding other people ridiculous food and booze and also love talking about how they made the stuff that they're feeding you.

I hit one of their boucheries a few years ago and despite the event being a few hundred miles away I still met a lot of relative locals and occasionally get to just hang out and just eat a bunch of pro-quality cured meat and/or bbq. Also: great way to meet farmers, so you can source that primo poo poo.

It's a great resource and community if you can suffer through the "DOES N E ONE KNOW HOW 2 MAEJ UNCURED BACON WIT CELERY" posts every week or so

• Locked thread