Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

EvilLile posted:

I'm almost positive it's a blend of sodium nitrite and regular salt. I thought Ruhlman mentioned the percents in his book, but I'm not seeing it.

I tried making some kielbasa the other weekend and was having a horrible time both keeping things cold and doing the actual stuffing. Do folks usually grind with the small die right away? Or with the large, then the small die on your grinder? For the stuffing itself, I kept getting tears in the casings. Was it just cheap casings? Are there any techniques for the stuffing process to mitigate that? Are there any tricks when you get a tear to prevent too much waste?

I'm doing an internship with a charcuterie maker so I can answer a couple of your questions. Usually we start out with the largest die setting and work progressively down to the smallest. If you're having trouble keeping your stuff cold just work faster in smaller batches and chill stuff in-between different steps. It's best to just make sure to keep your casings pretty wet because it keeps them pretty pliable. Tears do happen though, so just squeeze out the filling and throw it back in your stuffer minus the casing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread