Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I have been making various forms of pork rilletts as of late. I currently finished a rillett that is made with jowl, back fat and pig cheek. I cured the back and jowl with a homemade bourbon salt.

I did not take any pictures of the process of making this, but here is the final product, including the pickled items I made to go along with it.

Rillettes by Ashade76, on Flickr

Served with pickled onions and pickled peppercorn grapes.

Next week, I am making this again, but with rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

I... I might have to beg or bribe you for this recipe.

Seriously... I am on my knees here.

Wow.

Tools needed:

Mortar and pestle
Silicon cupcake holders
Baking Pan
Oven
Timer
Rocksalt

Set oven to its lowest temp setting. Mine is 200f. Pour about 1/2 ounce of bourbon into each silicon cupcake tin you want to use. I use 8 for a total of 4oz used. Place silicon cups on baking tray and place in oven. I tend to keep the rack about mid-way from top and bottom for this.

Leave it alone for 12-18hours. Your oven may vary. You want the lowest setting for this to work. You know you are done when you are left with a crystal formation at the bottom of those silicon cups.

Extract crystallized bourbon from baking cups and place in mortar.

Add very coarse rocksalt. (I have used smoked salt and regular sea salt in rock form. I personally like the smoked sea salt for this.)

Beat to coarse table salt size or to preference. Use as much or as little of the crystallized bourbon as you feel is needed. Start off light, this flavor is potent. Bourbon salt goes a long way. If you are making a curing salt, go hog wild a bit on the Bourbon amounts you will mix in. You want that flavor to seep in. If you are making a table salt or want to use this as a garnish or dessert salt, go light on the bourbon crystals.

Recommended Bourbons based on my use:

Buffalo Trace, Bulliet Rye, Temperance (is pure poo poo bourbon, so feel free to waste this as much as you want) Angels Envy, Makers 46. You want to use a quality bourbon here. One for the salt, One for the Cook.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

.Z. posted:

So there is a kickstarter for a meat drying fridge : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

Pros: Humidity controller, purpose built
Cons: Expensive. $555 Early bird to $675 full-price. Not really sure if it'd do a better job than a wine fridge or a mini-fridge with a fan in it that I've seen suggested before.

This has already been posted in two other threads, Gear thread by me and Steak thread by Steve Yun. But this seemed like another appropriate place to bring attention to it for discussion.

Happen to have any info on a DIY solution?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

smilingfish posted:

Okay, I tried this the other day, all I was left with was a stain in the bottom of my cupcake holders. I'm wondering what I did wrong.

Is what my cupcake holders look like when its all done, you lose most of the liquid.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ickna posted:

It might be easier to extract from the bottom of the cup if you dissolve some salt in the bourbon before evaporation, so that it sticks to the salt crystals.

The crystals just fall out of those silicon cups. If its goopy, they are not done. 12-18hours depending on the lowest temp setting. Could even go longer if your oven is picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

You could sell that in Portland as some new hipster meat.

• Locked thread