Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Any recommendations on a good meat slicer that's ~$100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

First of all, the meat slicer that someone recommended a page ago is awesome!

Secondly, are there any thoughts about this: should I just go to an Asian grocer or suck it up and order pork belly from a butcher?

Dirk the Average posted:

Going to try this whole bacon thing out. Have my supplies arriving tomorrow, but have a couple of questions on sourcing meats.

I'm in Orange County and there are plenty of Asian supermarkets with pork belly around here. Is that sufficient, or are there better and more specialty sources that I should be seeking out? Same question for duck breasts. I also frequently travel to San Diego county, so I can source stuff from there as well.

It won't matter for bacon, since I'll be curing it inside, but would now be a terrible time to try to do the duck breast prosciutto given that we're being hit by rainstorms right now and the humidity is high?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife just got a Kitchenaid for her birthday and I was considering getting the meat grinder attachment, but the ones that are all metal are a little pricey. Is the one with a plastic case fine or should I suck it up and get one of all-metal options?

Or should I man-up and get a hand crank grinder?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Iznogood posted:

I'm lucky enough to pretty much only eat wagyu beef.

How do I get to be this lucky?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I made some Pancetta recently, then my fridge broke and it went bad :-( Good thing I froze half of it!

I used Ruhlman's recipe and it's a little salty for my taste, but it's still pretty decent.

I'm planning on either doing another bresaola, or some other whole muscle cure soon, any suggestions?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

holttho posted:

Lonzino is always a great recipe to make; it is as easy to make as it is good to eat. Guanciale is also a strong go if you can get your hands on some cheeks.

Got a Lonzino recipe that you like? Charcuterie doesn't have one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I figured it would be a lightbulb sort of thing rather than a space heater. Like for terrariums or such. Space is likely to be mid-sized freezer or fridge, but I haven't bought it yet. Outside temp as low as 20F, have to measure indoors as winter arrives. Not sure of humidity either.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if charcuterie will be a half-year or full-year pastime once I get into the new place.

Recommendations for good containers very welcome as well!

I heard that the terrarium heater bulbs work well combined with a temperature controller in a home-brewing scenario, so I'm assuming they will work with Charcuterie.

Specifically something like https://www.chewy.com/flukers-ceramic-reptile-heat-emitter/dp/129150

But make sure you have a fan in there to circulate the heat around so you don't have hotspots.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Get the ham.

$120 / lb iberico is super pricey though.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

toplitzin posted:

So my breasts are down about 20g each so far, so ~10%. i hope they'll hit 30% loss by xmas.

I forgot what thread I was in in for a second and was confused by this.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

goodness posted:

I've got the cooler hovering between 55 and 80 humidity all night. Can't get it to stabilize

Although I haven't made that many things, I have never been able to get my chamber to stabilize and everything has come out great so far. I usually set my humidity to yo-yo across my target and I'm happy.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

goodness posted:

Duck prosciutto at my local cheese/meat shop is $45 a pound lol

Even if this turns out bad I've learned a lot. And spilled a ton of water on my carpet

How did you spill a bunch of water on your carpet making duck prosciutto?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

how hard is it to convert a wine fridge into a charcuterie fridge that controls humidity?

I have a mini wine fridge that I've setup with a stc1000 temperature controller and I hooked up a WH8040 humidity controller up to travel humidifier. It takes a little bit of wiring, but nothing more than a day's worth of work and everything you need can be found on Amazon. You can google wiring diagrams for both of these things online with a simple google search too.

The hardest part for me was making sure there wasn't too much humidity when I put meat into the fridge; what I ended up doing was putting something to prop the door 2-3 cm and have a fan always blowing a little air out the crack.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

mind linking all the things you bought?

Sure, I'm currently at work, and my internet is down at home, so it might not be until tomorrow though.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose posted:

mind linking all the things you bought?

STC1000

WH8040
My humidifier but you might be able to find a cheaper one.

plus a few wires and wire nuts you can get at home depot

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What's a good indicator that my salami has case hardening? I forgot to weight it before I hung it, so I'm going by feel right now and it feels a little too squishy for the feel of the casings right now.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

toplitzin posted:

no, it was a 3lb half of belly I had split to store after the cure.
That's about a lb or so.

I tossed the brick from the freezer and called a buddy who had another piece.

The freezer piece still has the skin on but here's a side shot:

Looks like skin fat and meat to me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks you guys. I joined both the Salt Cured Pig and the Curing Chamber groups.

Side questions - anyone got a good nova lox recipe? Capicola?

E: or just a trusted online source for charcuterie recipes in general would be great.

Anyone have resources that don't require a facebook account?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have resources that don't require a facebook account?

To answer my own question, I found this forum yesterday:
https://forums.egullet.org/

which has a bunch of posts related to charcuterie in their cooking subforum:
https://forums.egullet.org/forum/3-cooking/

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Did you have a stroke right before posting this?

Look at the post they quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking for a book on Charcuterie that is more about the theory behind the curing/drying/etc process and not just a list of recipes. After a little bit of research, I've determined that I should either buy Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by the Marianskis or spend a bunch of money on Books from The Professional Charcuterie Series.

What books do you all like for this kind of information?

• Locked thread