Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oxford Comma posted:

24 hours ago, that Charcuterie book hadn't even been ordered. Today, its in my hands and I'm planning on making some duck confit tomorrow.

Traditionally, how long could the confit stay submerged in the fat, unrefrigerated?

My parents are still using the left-over goose fat from last christmas, they keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge and it's still good. Duck/goose fat is awesomely tasty stuff.

I know that's just pure fat, but I'd hazard a guess that duck confit will last for 6 months in the fridge no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cathab posted:

Also, "Kosher salt" - is that just a variation of sea salt / rock salt (IE: Maldon salt flakes etc?), or is it something else again?

Kosher salt just means it has big flakes that stick well to the surface of meat etc.

Maldon sea salt should be a direct replacement, it's what I use.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Also, any suggestions for what to do with the wings/legs/thighs? I've never cooked duck.

You should totally make duck confit, it's ridiculously good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Martello posted:

What can you do with pig hearts and livers?

I'd make some leverpostej with the livers and some of the lard.

With the hearts, I presume they're whole? If so, I'd clean them, salt and pepper on the inside, fill them with prunes and bits of apple. Sew closed. Brown them in butter, then add boiling water and let them simmer for 2-2½ hours. Take out the hearts, keep them warm and make gravy in the pan. Cut into thin slices and serve with mashed potatoes. Parsley is a decent alternative to the prunes+apples.

• Locked thread