Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I am brand new to this, and am just starting to assemble a kit to do some home curing. I'm ordering the Ruhlman book now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of good recipes that one can do with a goat leg. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is it a front right? I have a goat that needs a new one. I'll swap ya for it.

No deal, I found a recipe. You'll just have to leave your goat up on blocks for now.

http://honest-food.net/2009/07/21/goat-ham-anyone/

Suspect Bucket posted:

Realtalk, slaughtering a pig for my birthday.

:stare: Most people would just get a stripper or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
$100 for a really good ham isn't bad at all. The wife and I got a chance to knock around Spain for a few weeks in November, and the really good hams there run 300-500 Euros.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

poo poo I was looking at some jamon iberico that they were charging $50 for 3 ounces for.

Were you in Spain? I've seen it cost that much here in Australia and in the USA, but I didn't see any quite that expensive while I was in Spain. Funny thing is that I've never had Iberico anywhere not-Spain that I actually thought tasted right. I think they mostly export the stuff that's gone a bit rancid because they assume foreigners can't tell the difference. I've only shelled out the money for Iberico a few times though, so I may have just gotten unlucky.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah maybe I just need to find a better supplier here in Oz. It's funny but the Serrano I've had in not-Spain was actually better than the Iberico I've had in not-Spain. In Spain, though, the Iberico was ridiculicious.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, speaking of our trip to Spain: All over Europe they in the early winter they have Christmas markets, where the citizens come out and eat tons of hot fatty food, drink spiced wine, and just generally Christmas the poo poo out of everything. Part of that tradition in Spain is that people buy little figurines for their elaborate homemade nativity scenes - they do entire tiny towns with pubs, houses, fruit vendors, and of course butchers. The wife and I aren't particularly religious, but we did decide to do our own nativity reflecting something truly divine. I present to you El Sagrado Cristo Iberico:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Parents are gone, pancetta hanging in the closet. Bacon on the smoke. Squared off the pancetta and frying up the scraps with eggs, MMMMMMMMM so good.

Wait did you just imply that you charcuteried your parents?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you do get the ham, taste it first. I've had fairly mixed luck with Iberico outside of Spain, I think largely due to issues with it being shipped and stored inappropriately. Not that it's spoiled exactly, but the fat can go off slightly and it kinda wrecks the flavor a bit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

pork loin makes better bacon imo the belly you can buy is way too fatty

what the gently caress

are you Australian or something?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Wouldn't an Australian be too scared of food poisoning to try making their own bacon though? I'm going with Canadian.

No, when Australians are afraid of food poisoning they just drink twice as much to kill the bacteria.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

He's English.

Oh god it's even worse than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Those are tyrosine crystals. They're totally fine, and your butcher didn't do anything wrong.

That's good to know. I've had those as well, and had assumed they were salt.

• Locked thread