Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hi thread, I have always been interested in charcuterie but only after recently buying a house do I have the actual space to do it. Are there any good sites with step-by-step directions for getting a chamber set up? I know it's really just an old fridge, a hygrometer and a temp controller, but I am a cave man who can only put things together if he follows directions exactly to a T.

Also, I plan on putting the chamber in my garage, but I live in Colorado and temperatures can frequently be below freezing for days at a time during the winter. Is that going to make it impossible to keep the fridge at the correct temps? Would a warm mist humidifier help for that purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks you guys. I joined both the Salt Cured Pig and the Curing Chamber groups.

Side questions - anyone got a good nova lox recipe? Capicola?

E: or just a trusted online source for charcuterie recipes in general would be great.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Gonna get a coppa started this weekend using an Umai bag while I get the curing chamber project off the ground.

Question - what's the best type of charcuterie to make if you want a quick turnaround? We are hosting a holiday party during the second week of December and it would be awesome to have some home-made charcuterie to serve.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I agree with Flash Gordon Ramsay, I made Ruhlman's bacon recipe a month or two ago and it was definitely too salty. Soaking it in cold water for an hour or two before smoking would probably be enough to adjust it though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I've got a bunch of bacon that is supposed to finish curing and go into the smoker today, but life got in the way and I won't be able to smoke it til tomorrow or Wednesday. I assume there's no harm leaving it vacuum sealed in the cure for a few more days, right? It's a basic 2%/2%/.25% salt/sugar/#1 cure if it matters at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It's from Reddit. Basically he got conned into buying rotten product.

• Locked thread