Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citarl
Apr 1, 2009
As soon as I get a hold of some curing salt I'll be making pancetta like it's going out of style. For now the only place I can find that holds it has nothing smaller than two pound containers of sodium nitrite, which I'm sure is more for someone's needs in serious chemistry.

Is the duck breast prosciutto eaten raw like other prosciutto? Because I can think of a lot of things that could use duck proscutto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citarl
Apr 1, 2009

themummra posted:

This thread has really inspired me to try my hand at this. I LOVE prosciutto, and I think first I will try making the duck prosciutto. To anyone that has made it, how was it?

I was surprised at how well mine turned out. Just follow the advice and it's basically impossible to gently caress up. I will say that I thought the flavours in the cure would come out a lot more. My cure was loaded with orange peel but the final product doesn't even hint at it. It's still drat good stuff, though!

citarl
Apr 1, 2009
A few days ago I put a pork tenderloin into a regular bacon cure. I was hoping to make filetto/mini-lonza, but now I'm not sure if that was the right way to cure it before hanging it up to dry. Will it be edible if I hang it up until it loses 30% of it's weight? Or should I have used a dry cure more similar to the duck breast prosciutto method?

• Locked thread