Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
What exactly do you mean by "less nutrition"? Many cured meats contain a lot of fat, so you have to balance that out with the rest of your diet. Another issue that comes up a lot is the high sodium content.

If your question is if the curing process destroys some of the nutrients, e.g. the protein in bacon, I don't think that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I think that stuff contains only about 15grams of salt per 100g so you could use it as a flavouring but you will probably need a lot of additional salt to effectively (and safely) cure anything.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
So my buddy is making bacon, I think according to Ruhlman's recipe. That would imply 2 tsp of prague powder #1 per 5lb meat. HOWEVER, the curing salt we have contains only 0.6% sodium nitrite whereas pp #1 contains around 6% I believe.

The bacon's been in the cure since Saturday and we wanted to smoke it coming Saturday. How much of a problem is this? Seems like the nitrite content is too low for long term storage, but we'll cook it to temp in any case before consuming. My intuition says it should be ok as long as the pork doesn't go off before cooking since we still have the antibacterial effects of regular salt plus the lower water content from curing etc.

Any help much appreciated. :)

• Locked thread