Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BraveUlysses posted:

How much per pound? I gave up and got some from Amazon but I haven't used it much yet

3 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My first belly turned out way loving salty. Salty enough to almost not eat.

I found using the exact recipe makes it very very close to store bought saltiness. And pink salt in bacon isnt that big a deal for curing, its more for color. There wont be enough time for botulinim to grow since it isnt in an oxygen free environment. For health reasons pink salt is required for dry sausages and other salami products since they dry and are sealed and allow anaerobic bacteria growth. Bacon curing never hits this stage. The pink salt is strictly for meat that stays pink instead of turns grey. (WHERE IS PF!! HE NEEDS TO WEIGH IN WITH HIS KNOWLEDGE!)

As for the skin I always leave mine on. I love the texture of it on the bacon. To make some "healthy" cracklins just take your skin you cut off (hopefully here is some fat still attached to the underside) and scoe the skin lightly, set it skin side up on a roasting pan and stuff it in the oven at 375 for an hour, it will blister and pop and hit it with the broiler to finish it off.

Thats how I do mine at least.

Also yes flip your bag every day. It distributes the cure better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Pink salt is salt. It contains sodium nitrite in some forms and both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate in other forms. (thingk DQ Salt #1 and #2) It doesnt change flavor, it just keeps anaeroibic bacteria from growing as well as preserve the color of meat. The only reason it is pink is because they dye it so you dont go full retarded and think its normal salt and start adding nitrites and nitrates all willy nilly to your pasta water.

Pardalis is correct in that it is the qaity fo your pork, the cure and the smoke that makes bacon bacony.

Also I have cured with maple syrup and its loving amazing. Cure with it, dont brush while smoking. You arent trying to glaze that bitch you are trying to bring it up to temp and get some smoke flavor in there. Having maple in the brine comes through well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

sorry bro, I like you as a poster, but this is not true. sodium nitrite definitely affects flavor, it gives everything it touches that 'hammy' flavor.

just as a lesson in sodium nitrite, try dredging some chicken legs in two different cures - one with sodium nitrite, and one without - then go rinse them off and grill them after 4-6 hours.

I frequently use chicken/turkey in place of pork in places I'd normally use smoked ham hocks (like collard greens, jambalaya, etc) because my girl doesn't eat pork. figuring out that sodium nitrite could give me that same hammy taste was a godsend. (CANT HAVE GREENS WITHOUT HAMMY SMOKEY MEAT GODDAMNIT GIRL)

Then I stand corrected. What I have read said it didnt matter. Although looking online (wikipedia) it directly says that it affects cured meat flavor although they do not know why yet.

So, Im wrong on that one :saddowns:

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 18, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey I want to corn a beef. Any preferred recipe? I I only have pink salt, and I see that Alton Browns recipe calls for salt peter. I assume they aren't changeable but is there a conversion I can do and use it instead?

Like above you dont have to use salt peter. Its potassium nitrate instead of sodium nitrate. I use the Ruhlman recipe calling for pink salt to make corned beef/pastrami.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

femcastra posted:

Thanks for the help. I could probably ask the science department at my school to order some sodium nitrate, but honestly, I'll probably just import it from Amazon US.

In the meantime I'll use regular salt as I have the last few times. It still tastes great, just without the bright pink colour.

Update: no luck on Amazon, none of the sellers will post it to Japan. I have however just ordered curing salt successfully through ebay, so now I just need to wait for it to arrive.

I would have sent you some had I seen this earlier sorry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

beefnchedda posted:

Cross post from general discussion :

Scaling help?

I need to make 285 servings of duck rilletes and 185 servings of pork rilletes but am having a tough time scaling the recipes I have found.

It seems I would need between 55 and 75 pounds of duck and between 40 and 50 pounds of pork? Do these numbers seem right? I am aiming for about 2 to 3 ounces per person.

So 3 oz is roughly 85 grams. you can get on average 125 grams of confit meat from a single duck leg quarter. You need 24,225 grams to do 285 3 oz servings, so 194 average duck legs (53 pounds of meat). So I would do at least 75 to take into account weight of the bone. Have fun making a boatload of confit though! Sounds delicious.

As for pork you are right on the money weight wise.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
You can also make rillettes, like the gentleman above was talking about. Its a more countryside version of pate. I use Ruhlman's recipe.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
If you guys really want a whiskey bacon try a brine with a lot of whiskey and hot smoking the bacon. The texture comes out more like a canadian bacon but the flavor is pretty drat good. It will be more moist than dry cured bacon, but it never really mattered in the end after it is fried up. Just use Ruhlman's canadian bacon brine and substitute however much water for alcohol. I have gone as high as 2 cups before.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

yoshesque posted:

So I think I'll make bacon when I get the chance, but is potassium nitrite ok for the job? I don't know about where I would get pink curing salt, but I have this in my pantry:

I mean, yeah, it says homemade bacon mix on the packet, but is there really much difference between potassium nitrite and sodium nitrite that would make me want to find the actual stuff in the Ruhlman's cure? I'm going to guess the MSG would just make the bacon more tasty.

You can use potassium nitrite like you would sodium nitrite. The original curing salt for millennia was potassium nitrate (saltpeter) so make of that what you will.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Quickly, someone make thermite bacon and light it on fire. This is for science.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

smilingfish posted:

Absolutely correct. $135, well reviewed on Amazon, and works well for my purposes. Not terribly easy to clean though. http://amzn.com/B0058VCYWS

It's not quite professional grade. The blade moves slower than I expected but the blade is serrated and razor sharp, so it goes through the bacon like it's nothing.

Teflon gloves are a good idea to go with it. http://amzn.com/B003TV40XA

Yeah the first time I turned mine on and it slowly chugged along I was mind blown having worked in a sandwich shop as a teen and using a blur of a deli slicer.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jose posted:

All of this pork belly bacon is like 60%+ fat and little meat. You all need to get on curing pork loin for back bacon instead. The taste is all in the cure and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. You get so much more meat

But he fat is the good part.

I love me some back bacon as well but the mouth feel of belly bacon is delightful.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Central Market is having a special on berkshire pork, but apparently wasn't able to get any pork belly... The rep said its impossible to keep in stock. Heading back on Saturday morning in case they get some in. If not, I will have to settle for something lesser, but either way I will be starting my cure this weekend.

Are you in San Antonio or Austin? If you are in San Antonio while it isn't Berkshire Bolners always has slabs of belly at around 4-5 lbs for sale.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
both links have been added to the op. If you all want me to add other lists of things to buy let me know and I will update it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That spread looks delicious. drat.

I don't know if its quite charcuterie but I was working with some brined pork belly and made a confit using Keller's directions, pressed and chilled it then brought it back to temp, seared it along the sides and top and bottom and served it over a sauce of bourbon, honey and angostura bitters to make a "Pork Belly Old Fashioned."

It came out pretty well garnished with some lemon zest. I think I might use orange zest next time to make it more authentic to the drink.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Subjunctive posted:

Should I thaw pork belly in the fridge overnight before starting, or is it ok to put the rub on frozen and let it thaw as it goes? I'm assuming the former, but thought I'd ask.

Skimmed the thread, apologies if I missed this!

I always thaw mine, wash it well, dry it, then put the rub on and seal it. You want to get whatever bacteria on the surface from the packer off to begin the curing process.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Breaky posted:

Where do you live that it's $15 /lb.

loving 'foodies' driving up prices of random poo poo I imagine.

Yeah tongue here is now 6-7 bucks a pound and a beef heart will run you almost 10 bucks. They charge 8 dollars a pound for beef cheek meat! I flipped my poo poo when they raised the price of soup bones and Ox tail to 7 dollars a pound as well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay that's loving scary man... Don't eat that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
You can also try smoked salts in the cure as well as the paprika.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ruhlman recipe pastrami. Came out really good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

hogmartin posted:

I'll be heading down to visit my parents for Thanksgiving to smoke a turkey and figured I'd do some pastrami since the smoker's already going to be fired up. I have the Prague #1 already and I'll be picking up some brisket from http://www.merindorfmeats.com this weekend. I have one of those spring-loaded spike type meat tenderizers - should I hit the brisket with it before it goes into the brine? Would that help the brine infuse the meat more readily, or is ordinary osmosis preferred? Would it let too much brine remain in the meat when I desalinate it before smoking?

I don't do it with mine, but some of the pros in the life thread dot the poo poo out of theirs. I have found 4-5 days in Ruhlmanns cure yields a vey nice pastrami to me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

Anyone have a good rilletes recipe?

I do mine with pork belly. It's pretty easy.

I take. 3-5 lbs slab of skinless belly and braise it in white wine and garlic for 4 hours tightly wrapped at about 350. Pull it and remove the belly and let it cool down.

Chop it up (I cut it with the grain to keep long strands intact) and put it in a kitchenaid in batches with the paddle mixer on low until it's fully shredded. Then I return it to a pot on low heat until the fat reliquifies. I pull out the shredded pieces and season it to taste with salt and pepper, then stuff it in jars and cover it with the fat.

You want it shredded and fatty. Not puréed. It spreads like butter at room temp.

Edit: when I say tightly wrapped I mean the foil is tight on the pan, not wrapping the actual belly.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
If anyone is in the central Texas area I am more than willing to sell you guys bellies from my restaurant. I buy cases at a time now so I can get them for about 2.20/lbs right now.

I don't mind trimming one down to the size you need and selling it by the pound to any goon that wants to come and get it. I have 80 lbs in my freezer right now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Im in San Antonio guys.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

vannevar posted:

I'm about halfway through making the bacon from the OP (I'll post a trip report when I'm done) but I thought I'd ask here first, since I'm sure some of the thread regulars will have opinions: I have never had, much less made, a pork rind in my life. What's the best way to turn my pork belly skin into crackling?

It really depends. Traditionally just deep fry those bitches. This can lead to a rock hard skin sometimes.

I found a place online and tried their recipe once. It worked really well.
Cut the skin (with fat attached) into 1 inch strips, boil it in water for 30 minutes on a low boil. This will break down the skin fibers and render some of the fat.
Drain and dry, salt and season them, then transfer to 250 degree oven for an hour, then crank it to 400 until you hit the color and texture you want.

I find them delicious

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

$110..per pound?

:vince:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That's looking too good man.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Take a look at my lonza, only took about a month. Used the salt box method, pressed it while it was curing to make the drying process a little quicker. In all, took 1 week in cure, 3 weeks drying. Cured with a shitload of pepper, washed with white wine, coated with pepper, wrapped in cheesecloth, trussed so well my chef thought I was into bondage, and hung in my soon to be re-purposed curing cooler.

Can you bring me some? I'm only an hour away!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah pork belly seems to have dropped a bit. The last case I bought was under 1.69 a pound.

Beef on the other hand is running around with its middle finger raised up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
He is talking to Nooner.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sanosuke21 posted:

Hello all. My partner is a professional sous chef and wants to start doing charcuterie and sausage making at home. What sausage maker/meat grinder do folks recommend to buy for someone who is a restaurant chef?

If he is doing it at home the same poo poo I recommend to everyone doing it at home.

A decent grinder
A decent sausage stuffer

The end.

If you aren't making sausage you just need a few big rear end plastic ziplock bags and some cheap sheet pans. He isn't going to make 150 lbs of bacon for a restaurant so no commercial equipment is needed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sanosuke21 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I just didn't want to get her something she would scoff at (which she has done with some of my consumer level kitchen equipment).

People who scoff at consumer equipment are stupid. A home cook doesn't need a 1000 dollar blender. It won't be running 14 hours a day,

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hey man try not to be so judgey. Everyone's got to eat.

And have you seen the price of pork belly lately?

I don't know man I just grabbed a 52lbs case for 1.45/lbs. that's not bad.

Beef is still stupid expensive though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Peasants. Factory hog is 1.39 a pound. If anyone is near a restaurant depot and wants to use a day pass to buy a whole case pm me.

With the step in bacon making where you heat to 150...is that just for food safety or does it transform the product somehow? That is, if I'm going to be eating the piece in the next week or so, is that step necessary/beneficial, or do I only need to do that for long term preservation?

It definitely changes it. It firms it up, drives out some moisture and makes it sliceable after its chilled again. It also renders off some of the loose fat. It also makes the peppercorns stick better!

Anyway I have never tried not bringing it up to temp. I have researched that in order to not smoke it you can hang it to dry for 2 weeks after washing off the cure and get the same result.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 4, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's called pancetta, and while delicious, and also on my charcuterie board, isn't quite like bacon.

Also, Berkshire for life, infinitely better if you do want to do a raw pancetta.

Not in my 'Merrica you godless commie!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BraveUlysses posted:

I might have to take you up on this, how big is a case of belly or ribs? :getin:

30-60 lbs depending on brand.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

In regard to bacon, what's the downside (if any) of leaving it in the cure for too long? (im talking days not weeks)

It gets slightly saltier.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sinburger posted:

Duck prosciutto question.

When I made my current batch the fat layer had partially separated from the meat. After salting the meat I dusted under the fat flap with pepper and then tied the breast up and hung it.

Would that area under the flap be enough of an oxygen free environment for botulism to be an issue? I've aged the breasts for about a week and a half so far and if my sample piece I tried today doesn't poison me I plan to bring the prosciutto to a new years party tonight.

Probably not. If there was salt inside the flap chances are close to 0. I think you will be fine, and if you do kill Verne you have a story to tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Smashurbanipal posted:

quick charcuterie troubleshooting question.

I made some pancetta according to Ruhlman and hung it up in one of my downstairs closets to age. Family poo poo happened and I totally lost track of time. It hung for 4 weeks rather than the recommended amount and got rather dry on the outside. The inside is a fun multi colored mold fest on the ends turning to slime where my roll was nice and tight. Is this at all salvageable?

I would think not. FGR has the right of it.

• Locked thread