Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jose posted:

that post should be linked in the op

OP has been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jose posted:

its a bit worrying how fast you found that post

I knew exactly where it was. That poo poo is seared into my brain.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Iznogood posted:

Well on "ours" there is a fair bit of fat still attached to the skin. It puffs and we eat it fresh. Of course it cannot be unique it's quite simple. But so good.

chicharrones!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Eat that pork dude

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Goatfather posted:

Speaking of leaving meat in the fridge for 6 months, I've been given a whole prosciutto that's been wrapped in saran wrap molding it up in a restaurant fridge for almost a year. The fat side looks fine, but the other side is 100% covered in mostly blue-green mold. Is it possibly salvageable? What do I need to know?

Don't eat human legs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Just boneless leg, trimmed, cured (garlic, rosemary, juniper), rolled as tightly as I could and cased in a beef bung. It was good stuff and I need to make another in the near future.

As long as its not a boneless human leg

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

lifts cats over head posted:

Searching for a place in my home to hang some meat to cure but I don't have the perfect environment. I can choose:

1. Kitchen: ~70°, proper humidity, no direct sunlight

2. Basement: ~60°, low humidity, dark

3. Neither will work and stick to buying cured meat.

The only other places might be a closet but it won't get much airflow.

Thoughts?

Craigslist a solid state wine fridge and addo a humidifer. Stuff in closet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

Duck Breast

Salt cure for 1 day, wrapped in cheese cloth: A=142g, B=134g

Day 3: A=191g, B=191g
I put 2 trays of water and misted during day 1 and 2 to get my humidity up from 20%. Could the cheesecloth or duck have absorbed that much water to gain weight?

Day 5: A=177, B=177
Got a better humidity monitor and stabilized the humidity between 50-65. Starting to firm

Day 7: A=170g, B=171
Getting firmer.

Is this hosed or what? Temperature has been between 45-60 the whole time

the further the moisture is from the surface the longer it takes so yes it will slow down as the outside dries and the middle is finishing out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

micron posted:

Anyone have any experience using UMAI bags like these?

There's tons of videos produced by the manufacturer and also by home users.
https://youtu.be/2IR5OIyXxow

The question was asked a few years back with no reply and I'm curious. I don't really have access to any sort of drying compartment etc.

They also have bags large enough for dry aging steaks but I'm skeptical of this process, but if I could make some ok sopressata I'd be cool with that.

I'm skeptical because she is using a dull paring knife to trim the beef and then what looks like a fillet knife to cut it open.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

This weekend is one of the largest community yard sales for my city. Every year I consider buying either a mini-fridge or wine fridge with the hopes of converting it to a curing fridge. Looking for honest opinions, is this a realistic goal? I'm not experienced with changing electric components of something like a fridge but I'm good at following step-by-step directions and I've seen several online for just this sort of thing.

Just don't stick a human leg in it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I just discovered a local butcher has some wild boar belly. Have any of you ever made wild boar bacon? If so, thoughts/suggestions?

Yrs. It's not very fatty so it ends up being very thin.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Just pulled a fennel/black pepper coppa out of the chamber. Very nice:

Goes great as part of a sweet/salty plate with Cypress Grove Purple Haze, apple and spicy pickled vegetables:

That looks great!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Don't leave the skin on the pancetta next time.

Leave it on the bacon though because it's tasty

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jose posted:

pork loin makes better bacon imo the belly you can buy is way too fatty

Lok how wrong this is. There is nothing wrong with loin bacon, but come on man... Belly all the way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chemmy posted:

They're both terrible compared to regular bacon.

Dilly dilly!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid and asked for the Ruhlman book for Christmas. So far I've only done burgers and breakfast sausage in very small batches, but I want to try making my own andouille and other smoked sausages. Is the KA attachment and sausage stuffer tube good enough to start with (say for 5lb batches), or should I get one of the metal attachments like Chef's Choice or the Smokehouse Chef for additional tray capacity and freezer pre-cooling?

(I know dedicated stuffers are better but given space constraints I want to be sure I'm going to do this enough to justify it.)

It's not the best but it works fine. The "blade" is kind of a joke but just keep it ultra cold and it will work fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What the gently caress happened? Walk us through this step by step.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

It came from reddit...

How did they get a pancetta that dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elephanthead posted:

I took the bullet and clicked reddit, the guy never posted again so it is safe to assume he ate more and died.

Oh he is definitely dead.

• Locked thread