Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

CaptainCrunch posted:

I started 3lbs of the OP recipe bacon last night. This morning, there was a layer of liquid in the ziplock bag I stuck the pork into. I poured it off, but should I worry about replacing the salt/curing salt that got washed off by whatever draining happened?

That liquid is natural, and you want it to be there. Ideally some liquid will form and then every day or so you'll flip the belly over to submerge the opposite side in it. I don't know what harm you've done by pouring out the liquid (but don't pour out any more). Maybe someone else can speak to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

dms666 posted:

Finally got some pork belly and got a batch in Ruhlman's cure. I plan on smoking it next weekend. Which kind of wood do you guys like the best when smoking bacon, pple, oak, hickory?

e: Also, do you take of the skin after its done curing, or after its cooked?

Take the skin off after smoking. Save it for some soup or something. As for wood, I tend to use hickory with a little bit of apple.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Petey - have you tried cooking a slice in a skillet to see how it turns out? It's possible you left it in too long, but I'd test it by cooking up a slice before making any conclusions.

• Locked thread