Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

What It Dooski posted:

This is my first time attempting to make bacon and I plan on following the recipe in the OP. I am making it for a large group though and would rather not be responsible for getting them sick/killing them. Could someone calm my fears about curing pork? I plan on following the OP exactly and was able to find Prague Powder #1. I also live in a college house with 5 other guys so its not the cleanest place, although I'm kind of a nut about food safety and do my best to keep everything sanitary.

People have been making bacon in caves and mud huts for thousands of years. You have to really try to gently caress it up. If it smells bad, don't eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, I've tracked down curing salt but I have a concern. It's really, really humid here, all the time. There is no dry place in my apartment. What can I do if I want to hang something to cure, like a lonzino? Will it still work if it's humid? Is airflow necessary or could I stick it in a sealed box with a pile of rice to soak up the moisture?

You should pick up a hygrometer and get some numbers. Most people have the problem that their environment is too dry. You actually want to dry in a more humid environment than you might think, otherwise stuff dries out too much on the outside and traps in the rest of the moisture.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

This might be a Chicago thing rather than a federal thing, but I've heard people complain about the extreme hoops they had to jump through to get their restaurant certified for meat curing.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Breaky posted:

I'd like to make some sausage etc on the cheap and I've seen meat grinder / stuffer attachments that can be stuck to a Kitchenaid Mixer. Anyone have experience / advice with these? If those are not a good option, any recommendations for cheap meat grinders / sausage making materials?

The Kitchenaid grinder isn't great, but it works. It was kind of a chore keeping the blades clear of gristle and keeping everything cold, but maybe all grinders have that issue, I dunno.

The stuffer, however, is total poo poo, and you should not even consider using it. All it is is a little funnel that goes on the end of the grinder. However, once the meat is already ground, the screw is pretty terrible at pushing it along, so you're forced to use the plunger to push the meat through. To make it worse, the plunger doesn't fit into the throat tightly, so the more you push, the more meat squirts up around the sides. A miserable experience all around.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

feelz good man posted:

I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

same. Just do not, under any circumstances, purchase the stuffer attachment. It is bad and does not work.

• Locked thread