Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
So Chernobyl Princess and I decided to investigate this whole "rillette" thing. With some success. The recipe we followed resulted in two very tasty 0.5l canning jars of rillettes and paté.

To create the pork rub, combine the following in a spice grinder and give it a few pulses.
  • 2 teaspoons allspice
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
  • 4 sprigs dried rosemary

For the meat:
  • Kosher salt
  • 3 pounds trimmed boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 1 quart rendered pork fat, melted *
*We ended up buying a bunch of trotters, neck bones, and tails to render ourselves. Worked ok. Boil pork until it surrenders. Discard gross meat and gristle. Keep the fat.

In a large bowl, toss the pork with the spice blend until well coated.
Add the thyme and garlic and knead the garlic into the meat.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Add the melted pork fat to a slow cooker with the pork and seasonings.
Cover partially and cook over low heat until the meat is very tender,
4 hours, or up to 6 hours. Let cool slightly, then, using a slotted
spoon, transfer the pork and garlic to a large bowl

Shred it up and it should end up looking something like this...

Stir in 1 cup of the fat and season with salt. Pack the meat into individual crocks. Reheat the fat and ladle a 1/2-inch-thick layer on top of the pork. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

We took a slight departure from the recipe here. You'll note the jar on the left is missing its fat-cap, because we dediced, screw it, let's make paté with some of this poo poo. Into the food processor it went with about 1/4 cup more of the fat and a dozen capers.

Serve on toast or Cheese Strawswith cornichons, bread & butter pickles, or something sweet to cut the salt. The recipe called for 1/4 cup, which I think could easily be ignored if you don't plan on keeping the pork for months on end.

Edit: 24 hours later the salt taste has mellowed considerably, and everything is super flavorful.

Hired_Sellout fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010
I have a similar question about duck prosciutto; how should it look and feel when it is "done"? I didn't weigh the breasts before curing (Santa, please bring me a food scale) so I can't use the 30% rule. Ruhlman indicates that some squishiness means it still needs to hang, but his book also says hang for "one week" when other sources suggest 2-3. Ruhlman also says pliability is good. Youtube videos on the subject tend to produce duck bricks. What's right?

Xarb posted:

How did they turn out?

I just salted my duck breasts but just read in the Ruhlman book that they should be hung in a humid place about 50 to 60F/8 to 15C. Summer just started here so I have the humidity down pat but the temp may be a bit of a problem as it's been getting well above 30C/85F. Is that why you hung it in the fridge?

I have a small temp controlled fridge I normally use for fermenting beer, could I use that to hang my ducks? Or is leaving them to dry in a sealed environment a bad idea?

Basically I'm wondering how people are controlling the temp/humidity when curing?

Hired_Sellout fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 11, 2012

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Given these methods predate hygrometers and fridges by quite some time I think people tend to worry too much about temp and humidity when it comes to simpler things like duck prosciutto. I recently hung a breast in a bedroom wardrobe (heating was off in the room so it was reasonably cool in there) where I measured the humidity to be only 50% and it turned out fine after a week, I used a tea-towel to wrap it to somewhat balance for the dry air. Hold the breast firmly between your thumb and index/middle fingers and push in opposite directions as if you were rubbing your fingers together. It shouldn't feel like it's pivoting around the centre of the breast if it's dried out enough (otherwise the middle is still too squishy).

You were absolutely right. I was just impatient. Another week in the fridge and they turned out beautifully. Not too salty, good creamy fat, and well balanced with the spices. Your description of checking for correct moisture loss by shifting them between one's fingers was spot on too. Many thanks. I will post pictures of the next batch, since I think this is going to become a regular thing...

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

Saint Darwin posted:

I went to yon H Mart and ended up getting 1 pound pieces. Not the ideal huge piece I wanted, but it's only getting 8 days as it is. I just cut the measurements in half since those were for a 4-5 lb piece.

Chernobyl and I have a beef brisket in the brine 5 days tomorrow. Using Ruhlman's pickling spice.
We have half a mason jar of it left, and can bring you some tomorrow.
Also curing salt if you haven't found any yet.
Let me know...

• Locked thread