Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoachBombay
Sep 13, 2010
I'm going to be making a batch of sausage to keep in the freezer for tailgates and the link (and probably a few lunches). Since stew beef is on sale I was thinking of trying the Hungarian paprika sausage from Ruhlman's book. I've made the holiday kielbasa and the hunter's venison sausage from the book last winter but wanted to try something with beef in it. There is also a bratwurst recipe but the amount of eggs/cream seems unideal for keeping in my freezer (and more work).

Anyone made either of those recipes before, wouldn't want to make the hungarian if the fresh brat is a life-changing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoachBombay
Sep 13, 2010
I've had the charcuterie book for about a year and after pounds upon pounds of sausage, I'm finally making the jump to bacon. Went to the local butcher shop that gets their meat from their farm outside of town and ordered a pork belly. I forgot to ask the price per pound so I was nervous it was going to be killer. Picked it up Friday for 1.99/lb. not bad for local never frozen pork. Split the 8 pounds in have and did half bacon half pancetta. Bacon will be ready just in time for the Super Bowl to make bacon wrapped jalapeņos. Woot.

I plan on using a basement closet to hang the pancetta, but I'm a little worried the humidity will be low. I'm putting a pan right under it anyway because it'll be over carpet and I'm conviced it will drip. Should I put an inch of water in the pan to up the humidity?

• Locked thread