Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
So where's this duck prosciutto recipe in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Welp...I know what book I'm about to order from Amazon.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
24 hours ago, that Charcuterie book hadn't even been ordered. Today, its in my hands and I'm planning on making some duck confit tomorrow.

Traditionally, how long could the confit stay submerged in the fat, unrefrigerated?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I wanna make duck confit, but rather than buy pricey duck fat, could I just use the quart of bacon grease that's congealing on my counter? Or would the flavor really suffer?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

cobra_64 posted:

Does anybody have experience making goose prosciutto? My brother in law has had a successful goose hunting season so I figured I'd give it a try.

I would imagine it couldn't be much different than the duck prosciutto. Maybe let it cure in salt for 2 days instead of 1 due to its larger size?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So my duck prosciutto has hung for a week, and I'm pretty sure its ready. I'm going to go downstairs to get it now.

Ten minutes pass.

OMG. The flavor. This is the best thing I've had in my mouth in years. Sweet jesus this is good. *drool*

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So I'm doing my first duck confit. Unfortunately I misjudged the amount of duck at I would need. I wound up having to use almost equal parts duck fat and bacon grease. Did I majorly gently caress-up my confit? :ohdear:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Sailor_Spoon posted:

The Kitchenaid grinder isn't great, but it works. It was kind of a chore keeping the blades clear of gristle and keeping everything cold, but maybe all grinders have that issue, I dunno.

The stuffer, however, is total poo poo, and you should not even consider using it. All it is is a little funnel that goes on the end of the grinder. However, once the meat is already ground, the screw is pretty terrible at pushing it along, so you're forced to use the plunger to push the meat through. To make it worse, the plunger doesn't fit into the throat tightly, so the more you push, the more meat squirts up around the sides. A miserable experience all around.

I also have one and this assessment is 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I made my first duck confit recently, using Ruhlman's recipe. It came out...underwhelming. I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought it would be a lot more amazing than what I wound up with.

• Locked thread