Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
I love cured meats. However, I am concerned about nitrates. What are some good nitrate-free options? What about prosciutto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

Appl posted:

Nope, completely different ways. Bacon is cured and then usually smoked, jerky is dehydrated.

Classically, jerky is smoked. In fact, a term for a pirate, buccaneer, refers to their habit of jerking meat while at anchor, and comes from the same root word we get bacon from. However, in the modern nomenclature, jerky is lean.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nitrates... DO NOT BE AFRAID OF NITRATES!!! Nitrates are NOT bad for you. The .1 grams in an entire slab of bacon will not do anything to you. You get mroe than that when you eat a salad of dark leafy greens. So don't be fooled by the hysteria.

Like I said, I like cured meats, and I eat them. I would like to look at ways of reducing my nitrate intake. A little nitrate won't hurt you, but making a habit of it could be unwise. All things in moderation.

• Locked thread